Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Viral Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th July 2004, 07:33 AM   #1
Farhan

Send a message via MSN to Farhan Send a message via Yahoo to Farhan
Default How to Make Your Clients Refer You To Others

When your clients are satisfied with your work, they usually refer you to others and this results in some good business without much effort. This espacially works in if you are in a B2B industry.

What we do at the moment is an e-mail at the completion of the project, in which we thank our clients for choosing our services and ask them to refer us to their friends and associates. So many of them usually do and many do not.

What more can be done in this area? Any creative ideas

Farhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 19th July 2004, 08:53 AM   #2
Logan
Administrator

clients who receive a percentage of the sale or something in return seem to be very positive influences to me. simply human nature.

Old 19th July 2004, 09:43 AM   #3
David Wallace

Search Engine Guide Blogger

If you do a great job and most important, offer superb customer care, your clients will refer you. The customer care thing is very important because with a lot of Internet related companies, you can never get anyone to answer the phone or return phone calls or emails and if they do it is a day or two later. This is unacceptable.

We respond to emails almost immediately, are here to answer the phones, fix problems quickly, deliver work on time, etc., and this all goes a very long way to client satisfaction and referrals.

Old 20th July 2004, 05:46 AM   #4
Virginia SEO

I agree. Give great customer service and they will refer you. Sometimes it just takes a while for the situation to come up where the opportunity arises to do this. Give it time. It will happen.

Virginia SEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2004, 06:47 AM   #5
BWelford

Why not have a testimonials page on your website? At the completion of a project send the following e-mail message to a client.

"The project has now been completed and we hope you're really satisfied with what has been done. If anything was not to your complete satisfaction, please make sure you let us know. We aim to please.

If you are pleased, there is something you can do to our mutual benefit. On our website, there is a testimonial web page that gives short testimonials from recent clients. The text is arranged with a link to your website so as to give a boost to your Google ranking. This could be important if you are in a somewhat specialized field. The text can give as many details or as few details as you wish, if you have privacy concerns. If this might be of interest, please contact us and we can discuss how best this might be arranged.

In any case, thanks once more for giving us this opportunity to serve you."

You would then follow-up as appropriate after a short delay. Hearing why someone might not wish to give you a testimonial may be another way of getting some very good feedback.

In case you were going to ask, I haven't tried this yet, since it only came to mind in reading this thread.

Old 20th July 2004, 09:10 AM   #6
Farhan

Send a message via MSN to Farhan Send a message via Yahoo to Farhan

Thanks for the replies Guys.

Yes, customer service with a personalized touch and flavor can go a long way to get referrals. Although we do fairly well in that department, I feel there's enough room for improvement.

Barry can you please further explain your point? How will a page of testimonials increase referrals from that client?

Farhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2004, 09:25 AM   #7
divshow
VIP Contributor

I have a customer testimonials page and it does help. First of all, once they give you permission to put their name online (I have them decide how they would like their name & location written) they will send others over to see it.

It does help with rankings as well. I have many people sent over to the testimonials page when they are doing a perticular search.

Also, as stated above...customer service is always the #1 way to get someone to refer you. If the customer is happy with product, price and how you treated them they will let others know.

Old 20th July 2004, 09:29 PM   #8
Robert
Administrator

I was thinking about what would motivate me to talk about a company and I came up with the following because it would appeal to me:

At the completion of each project, mail a 4x6 card to the client with something along the lines of the following on the front:

"Each of our clients is special to us and we'd like to show our appreciation to you by doing something nice for someone special in your life.

"On the back of this card, just fill out the name and address of a person who is special to you and then give this card to someone that would benefit from our services.

"When the person you referred turns in this card for a free consultation, we'll send flowers to the special person you listed on the back of the card. Just our way of saying thank you for your business and for telling others about our service."

You could change all the details to fit your specific needs, but I think that gets the general idea of what I'm thinking about across. If I received a card like that, I'd definitely find someone to pass it along to just so my wife could get the flowers.

Old 21st July 2004, 07:00 AM   #9
BWelford

Farhan, re my post on adding customers to a Testimonials page and your question, I guess I was slightly off-thread, but Lisa picked up exactly where my mind was tracking. I think anything that gets the client to think more about what has been done is good. If it involves them in some forward process, then it's even better.

I really like Robert's suggestion. Even if the existing customer doesn't pick up on the offer, they'll think about this clever idea. I see few downsides and several possible upsides.

Old 21st July 2004, 08:55 PM   #10
steve sardell

Send a message via AIM to steve sardell

Great customer service and relations is a given, and expected by all our clients. We try to set ourselves apart from the competition by bestowing small gifts. In the past we have given our city clients tickets to plays and concerts. We have also given pieces of local art work,and dinner certificates. At Christmas time we go way beyond the card by sending gift baskets. One of our most successful gift campaigns was buying a brick at the local Animal Shelter in our clients name. If these type gifts are beyond your budget, get inovative and use your imagination. One year when we were cash poor we produced custom calendars. It is not the dollar amount of the gift, but the fact of giving. We always try and maintain continual contact with all our past and present clients, even if it is a brief phone call to ask how they are doing.

steve sardell is offline   Reply With Quote