Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th November 2006, 07:09 PM   #1
TMCG

Default Marketing Your Blog On Myspace

the title basically says it all.

thoughts on this?

do business and myspace mix?

what if you are selling things off the site - is that allowed on myspace...i do not have an account with that site.

i'm just curious.

TMCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 12th November 2006, 10:57 PM   #2
tweakerxp

I really don't think business and MySpace are a good mix. MySpace is a social networking site aimed at the average Joe. When someone starts trying to sell their products on it, it just doesn't really seem like the ideal mix.

tweakerxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2006, 12:35 PM   #3
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

I think it depends on the nature of your business. I know some people who have used MySpace to great success to connect with their prospective customers. Others have been disappointed.

If your target demographic fits well with the MySpace crowd, I think it can be useful to get involved there. I wouldn't use it as my only marketing tool, and I'd be sure to use a soft approach with anything I did there, but I think it could be helpful for the right kinds of businesses.

My $0.02

--Torka

Old 13th November 2006, 08:49 PM   #4
TMCG

thanks.

Old 14th November 2006, 10:49 AM   #5
vangogh
VIP Contributor

I agree with Torka in that it depends on your business. For example MySpace developed initially around music and it's still a big part of the community. If you sell CDs or DVDs I would think MySpace would be a great source of potential customers.

I agree with the soft sell too, but I think that's true of every online community. The way to market to most online communities is simply to become part of the community. If you can be a genuine member of the comminuty people will find out what you do and will be aware of the things you sell.

There are a lot of people on MySpace. I know one thought is that many of the people there are too young to be considered a good source of potential customers, but people of all ages buy things. And people do get olders. How many years will it be before the current MySpace crowd becomes falls into the most coveted age range for marketers and advertisers? Not very long.

Old 14th November 2006, 03:43 PM   #6
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by vangogh View Post
I agree with the soft sell too, but I think that's true of every online community. The way to market to most online communities is simply to become part of the community. If you can be a genuine member of the comminuty people will find out what you do and will be aware of the things you sell.
Very true. It's not always necessary to sell in order to sell effectively. Sometimes, a hard sell is actually counterproductive.

I think of online communities, forums and discussion groups not so much as a place to sell anything, but as a place to market -- as vangogh says, this is often best done simply through becoming an active and valued member of the community. (Plus, if you work it right, you end up making friends and having fun while you're at it, which is always a plus in my book! )

--Torka

Old 15th November 2006, 10:47 PM   #7
TMCG

at the end of the day, you can have the best graphics on your site and really go out of your way to have good products for purchase, but if you are not genuine in your approach to people, i don't think you'll have as much success.

myspace seems like about 100 million out of 106 million lost souls...all the "friends" stuff...i think it's silly.

but it's like you said, it comes down to a target market.

Old 16th November 2006, 10:45 AM   #8
vangogh
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Sometimes, a hard sell is actually counterproductive
I think it's one of the main things where selling is different online. When someone walks into your offline store it may be a 20 minute drive to your competitor. So even if you are giving the hard sell, that drive gets factored into the decision to leave your store.

Online your competitor is a couple of clicks away. It's a lot easier to find them and leave your store for even the simplest of reasons.

I don't think anyone likes or has ever liked a hard sell. It's just that offline our options were more limited and we had no choice other than to put up with some things we didn't like. Online we don't have to put up with many of those things.

Last edited by vangogh; 5th December 2006 at 11:08 AM.
vangogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2006, 01:59 PM   #9
QwkSand
VIP Contributor

I don't think it would only depend on the business. I think it also depends on how you carry on on myspace. I have colleagues who do forums on myspace and they've told me that it's like a survivor show out there.

You first have to establish yourself among the myspace users and be a regular visitor. If you just stop and say hello once in a month, chances are, you'll just find your account closed or your messages drowned out by thousands of other posts. Once you've established yourself, that's when you try to lead you target market to generte traffic. I'm not sure yet if advertising is really allowed in there. I don't have an account either. But even if advertising is not allowed, you can see that most users still advertise. Like I said, you just need to establish yourself in there first.

My Agent of Value: Outsource Link Building
QwkSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2006, 06:01 PM   #10
hawkins217

I' think that if Myspace is used correctly, one can develop a prescence and following there. I understand that some people are very successful generating interest in their businesses there.

For myself, though, I would prefer using a site such as Ryze and Direct Matches which I know are business networking sites.

hawkins217 is offline   Reply With Quote