Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 70,000 small business folks with over 120,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th November 2006, 08:55 AM   #1
bridjosh

Default How To Optimize Flash Sites?

How to optimize Flash sites?
hi I am new to seo,
Suggest me, how to optimize the Flash sites using <no script> tag and <object> tag. How far the CSS helps in achieving the successful optimization of flash sites?

thanks in advance

bridjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 12th November 2006, 09:34 PM   #2
shannonlp

Send a message via AIM to shannonlp Send a message via MSN to shannonlp Send a message via Yahoo to shannonlp

Just my 2 cents, I have never heard anything good about using Flash for a site other than visual.

If you can't see it from a text browser then odds are you will not have spidered information.

Building a multi content site would be the best way to go.

shannonlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2006, 11:14 PM   #3
Crimson Fox

You can create a great flash site by using text replacement. The technique uses the text in your html document. It pulls the text from your document into a flash generator that then styles the text into a flash file.

This technique uses javascript and flash to make a fully functional flash site. The whole process happens within milliseconds so you don't know it's happening and it keeps the search engines happy.

Here is a sample of the technique used to style text into any format you wish Somewhere to start http://www.mikeindustries.com/sifr/

Hope it helps.

Crimson Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2006, 06:53 AM   #4
pete
VIP Contributor

In my opinion the best way to optimize a Flash site is to TURN OFF the Flash.

pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2006, 10:59 AM   #5
mbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
In my opinion the best way to optimize a Flash site is to TURN OFF the Flash.
Oh, I was about to write the same or similar answer.
Remove the flash from the site. This is the best way to optimize web site that has flash.

Old 15th November 2006, 02:13 PM   #6
Crimson Fox

I assume no one looked at the the example I gave, which simply uses flash as a skin and doesn't negatively effect SEO optimization at all.

Old 16th November 2006, 12:56 AM   #7
mbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Fox View Post
I assume no one looked at the the example I gave, which simply uses flash as a skin and doesn't negatively effect SEO optimization at all.
On the contrary. I visited that site and I am simply impressed. This is very good example on how to use Flash in the best way.
However, I just do not think that the question is about such type of Flash site.

Old 16th November 2006, 03:18 AM   #8
Crimson Fox

I think this is the future of flash. The program is starting to grow up and move away from the spamming, flashing, myspace type of awfulness of the past. With the birth of web2.0 there are some great uses with flash in replacing dom scripting interactivity.

The thing I'm trying to say is don't discount it because of the sins of the past. There is a brave new world out there.

Old 16th November 2006, 11:16 AM   #9
vangogh
VIP Contributor

I'm interested to see where and how Flash develops. At the moment I wouldn't recommend someone make an all Flash site if search engine traffic is desired, but I'm sure in time either Falsh or search engines will develop to the point where the pages are spiderable.

The example you linked to looks nice, though I wouldn't call it an all Flash page. What you described sounds like it could be a good solution to the issue with search engines.

I still think Flash takes a liitle too long to load at the moment, but it's nice to see the capabilites advancing.

Old 16th November 2006, 12:06 PM   #10
pete
VIP Contributor

As I have commented many times before - Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

There are a number of site designers who consider themselves artists and they seem to try and impress each other with their skills, while doing little, or nothing, to actually promote the products or services of their clients.

In most cases, the purpose of a business having a website is to sell more of what they offer, either from the site itself, or to draw more business to the company in other ways.

This is sometimes lost to the designers, who feel that by simply having a unique or stunning design, business will follow. While designers may actually make purchases from such sites, based on the design of the site, most others make buying decisions on the actual content / products displayed on the site, even if it's plain text on a white background.

Firefox, I don't mean to step on your toes personally, and I'm sure you will consider me the biggest boor on the net, but when I open a site like yours, with a black background and navigational text that is almost indistinguishable from the background, I bail in a heartbeat. I can't get to the back button quickly enough.

I have no doubt that you are proud of it, but there is absolutely no possibility that you would ever get me as a customer. And, quite possibly, you are not looking for the likes of I as a customer.

Again, I'll say, just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should. There are millions of HTML (in one form or another) sites out there that are serving their purpose - attracting prospects and making sales.

Flash is fine for instruction, demonstrations, etc. But as an integral part of a working website, I sure don't want to see it.

pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Get Updates
RSS Feeds:
RSS Feed for Search Engine Optimization RSS for this Category Only: Search Engine Optimization

RSS Feed for Small Business Ideas Forum RSS for Entire Forum
Forum Rules

Sponsor

More Info
Small Business News
Small Business Articles
Small Business Resources
Small Business Software
Small Business Opportunities
Small Business Loans
Glossary
Link To Us