Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 70,000 small business folks with over 120,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th October 2006, 05:36 PM   #1
TMCG

Question This may be a stupid question?

say you're business is car sales, if you put

<!--car sales-->

all over your code, does that do anything as far as boosting anything...eerrr, ya know what i mean...uuuhhh

TMCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 17th October 2006, 05:39 PM   #2
Logan
Administrator

nah, no stupid questions. i guarantee if you are asking 100s of others don't know either.

I wouldn't include keywords in comments for optimization. Nothing wrong with using them for their intended use, but not worthwhile for keyword optimization - imo.

Old 17th October 2006, 07:20 PM   #3
Cavendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
nah, no stupid questions. i guarantee if you are asking 100s of others don't know either.

I wouldn't include keywords in comments for optimization. Nothing wrong with using them for their intended use, but not worthwhile for keyword optimization - imo.
I agree. So many people try different kinds of tactics to put extra keywords or tags on their site to attract attention. Frankly, I think the search engines are starting to penalize these types of activities.

Stick with the basics. Focus on finding other legitimate sites that will link to you. Avoid "link farms" or sites that will sell you a link on their site (e.g., "PR7 site link") like the plague!

Cavendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2006, 09:25 PM   #4
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

The SEs won't penalize you for putting keywords in comment tags. They simply don't index comment tags, to my knowledge. They never have, AFAIK.

If you want to test this for yourself, try putting a made-up nonsense word in a comment tag on one of your pages. Wait for that page to be indexed, then search on that made-up word to see if the contents of the comment tag were indexed along with the rest of the page. Unless something serious has changed very recently with the SE's, the answer will be "no."

Comment tags are supposed to be used for annotating your code for your own purposes, so you can put anything in there you want to. Just don't expect it to do anything whatsoever for you in terms of rankings.

It isn't spam, and it isn't a trick. It's simply useless (for SEO).

--Torka

Last edited by torka; 18th October 2006 at 09:27 PM.
torka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2006, 11:46 AM   #5
vangogh
VIP Contributor

Not going to help at all. I think Torka is right in that the comments will just be ignored, but if I was a search engine I would think it would be a good way to determine who was trying to spam me. It wouldn't surprise me then if they do look at comment tags as a way to flag certain sites.

That's really just speculation on my part, though.

The best way to use comment tags is to help make something in your code clearer to you when you have to go back and look at it or when someone else needs to look at it.

Not something that's going to help with search engines, though you can always try to test as Torka suggests and see what happens.

Old 15th September 2009, 09:33 AM   #6
pes123

i agree with torka. excellent reply that is.

pes123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 10:37 AM   #7
askdmatthews

Even if it did work, I think it would still be considered spamming by google and once your competitors realize that you're spamming and stealing their traffic, you can be assured they will report it.

askdmatthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 04:31 PM   #8
hitweb

The best way to get keywords in your website is to write them into your copy. Although, keep in mind that the first thing to consider, when building a website, is the actual people that will be visiting the website, not the spiders. If you do every trick in the book to get ranked higher in the search engines and end up at the top of the list on the best keywords, it does you absolutely no good if people don't stay on your site and "convert" because the copy makes no sense or isn't enjoyable to look at.

Always always always build your website for conversions first, then focus on getting people there. A customer lost once is often a customer lost forever.

hitweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 04:35 PM   #9
royhunters

Ugh, I think the question was answered 3 years ago, this is a very old thread.

royhunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 04:26 AM   #10
AirForce1

Send a message via MSN to AirForce1

I don't think it is useful for SEO. HTML includes such tags for comment purpose and all search engines would obey this standard, too. IMO.

AirForce1 is offline   Reply With Quote