Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Local Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st February 2017, 07:14 AM   #1
sarahmarshall11

Question Where Do I Spend My Advertising Money???

Hey Guys!
I just started a new local non-profit and am interested in any advice or feedback you have for me. So, as I said, I'm new to owning my own business - but I do know that I need to get my brand / business out there, and market myself.

I've read plenty of ways to market, including this pretty in-depth guide that kinda walks you through the various marketing mediums. . . . https://simpletexting.com/small-busi...rketing-guide/ . . . but I am still at a loss!

I only have about $5k to spend each quarter, so I can't do 1/2 of these things. I know a little about SEO. . . so I can probably do enough to make sure I'm showing up in the results pages. . . . but if no one knows what we do, or who we are. . . . that doesn't matter.

So, I'm thinking about Adwords and possibly display ads - seem to be best bang for your buck. Or, I wonder if doing billboards would be something I should look into? Do people even click or notice ads on Google Search Pages anymore?? Or what about Facebook?

Thanks so much, any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated!

sarahmarshall11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 1st February 2017, 10:51 AM   #2
SARubin

"Local" non-profit? Does that mean you primarily work in and around you local community?

If so, then one of the best things you can do, for relatively little money, is sponsor, or create an event showcasing your cause and your commitment to the community.

Of course, I'd need to know what your business is, before I could offer any suggestions on which type of event might work.

One example is a local animal shelter I helped a while back... We created a once a month "adopt a pet" event where people could visit the shelter, donate pet supplies if they wanted to, and potentially bring home a new four legged family member.

The first month we had a minimal turnout. The second month was a little better. By the third month we had recruited a few other local businesses to donate resources (food and beverages, door prizes, etc.) in exchange for publicity. The giveaways helped us build a little buzz.

Within 6 months, it became a hit. The shelter was starting to receive cash donations from animal lovers, and a good number of pets found new homes.

Old 15th February 2017, 12:19 PM   #3
yattwards

Default Local business marketing

I would definitely take the time to list yourself on google maps if you haven't already. It don't take any investment other than your time.

Other than that you might consider Adwords with location targeting. You can create ads that are displayed only to people within the cities you select, so that could be useful.

yattwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 05:50 AM   #4
Nutty
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Nutty

An event would be a great way forward with your budget, arrange a lunch or dinner where the people pay for their meal but if you get enough numbers you can always bargain with the establishment where you are holding the event, add a raffle and approach companies for their goods to raffle. Approach local bands or singers/artists and see if they want to get involved. Do you have a local company near you with similar audience interests you could team up with?

I would add a Facebook page and try a campaign there especially if you are non-profit. I run a #scoliosis support group and I grow my network each year with very little effort these days as I have now built trust from the community. We have held yearly events in various cities across the UK (this was our USP - our meetings/events were never held in the same place so we could reach more of our members - some even flew in from the USA!). I have had success in building networks on Facebook for non-profit. Get the code working properly on your website (if you have one) and then you can use the insights section of FB properly.

All the best

Nutty

Old 22nd February 2017, 02:12 PM   #5
Rewardster

Many non-profits don't know that Google does offer special grants for qualifying non-profits, and will provide additional matching advertising dollars and assistance for you.

https://www.google.com/grants/

If you need any assistance with this, you can find accredited Google Partners that can help, like our company. Feel free to private-message me with any questions.

Old 31st March 2017, 03:48 AM   #6
jeffscott
VIP Contributor

Before using Adwords for your business make sure you are fully armed which means well experienced in the field and not a newbie to avoid wasted money.

Old 11th April 2017, 01:30 PM   #7
SocMediaMaven

Send a message via Skype™ to SocMediaMaven

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT begin advertising on google until you either get the proper education on how to do it or hire a reputable company to do it.

Believe it or not, your $5k could disappear faster than you can blink!

Old 23rd April 2017, 11:13 PM   #8
Brooke.Harper

Advertising money is best spent on building your brand in different social media channels (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, even Pinterest). You can try to come up with a really catchy phrase plus an attention-grabbing image to boot if you're planning to use billboard ads to increase brand awareness not only locally but in a global scale (with the help of social media).

Sharing and posting photos of interesting daily finds can still benefit you even if you choose to go with billboards. People take snaps of almost anything on a daily basis. If your ad is interesting enough, it might just land you free advertising courtesy of social media users.

Brooke.Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2017, 11:16 PM   #9
Brooke.Harper

Quote:
Originally Posted by yattwards View Post
I would definitely take the time to list yourself on google maps if you haven't already. It don't take any investment other than your time.
This has got to be one of the best advertising technique online. When people search for services similar to yours, you'll appear in their SERPs so it pays to take a look at this option.

Brooke.Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2017, 08:04 AM   #10
career2nextorbi

spend your money of social media presence and also acquire some high quality links

career2nextorbi is offline   Reply With Quote