Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 70,000 small business folks with over 120,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Online Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd December 2004, 03:27 PM   #1
ROITracker

Default More Articles Added Below ----> The Value Of Using A Good Web Anlytics Package

Whether you use a web site to sell a product or use it to generate leads for your business, you should be using a good web analytics package to learn about your online visitors. From analyzing visitor behavior reports, you can build a better web site, generate more traffic to your site, cut advertising costs, and increase revenue.

Here are a few very good articles that I've come accross lately that stress the value of using a good web analytics package.

I'd be interested in hearing your feeback. Enjoy!

Optimizing Online Business Performance
http://crm-daily.newsfactor.com/stor...to#story-start

The Rebirth of Web Analytics
http://www.ecommercetimes.com/story/...ics-38335.html

Web Analytics Red (and Green) Alert
http://www.clickz.com/experts/crm/an...le.php/3438681

Happy Holidays,
Matt Lillig

Last edited by ROITracker; 13th January 2005 at 06:30 PM.
ROITracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 3rd January 2005, 08:25 PM   #2
StupidScript
Administrator

I second Matt's comments (and I'll comment on the articles, soon ... )

If you haven't already done so, do not start your marketing program without marketing goals and some sort of analytics method in place.

If you're happily marketing along without an analytics method, get one in place ASAP.

Depending on your goals, it doesn't take all that much time, is well-documented, and pays immediate dividends in the form of accumen and focus.

And, Readers, don't tell me your marketing strategy, execution and evaluation don't have any fuzz. We can all use more info about our investments, can't we?

StupidScript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2005, 06:48 PM   #3
StupidScript
Administrator

Re: the Articles

Very inspirational. There's still some "magic" that needs to be explained, but these guys make their cases for using a robust analytical program pretty well.

From the ECommerceTimes.com story:

Quote:
Jay Shaffer, Wine.com: "It's kind of like a mystery, a puzzle game, and it's fascinating to watch human behavior and try to anticipate and then adjust accordingly when you get the results from the Web analytics."
and

Quote:
John Mellor, Omniture: "Web analytics is becoming more of a have-to-have technology because you can't improve what you can't measure."
There are definite skills that come into play when analysing the data output from the analytics programs ... they don't tell you what to do to increase form submissions or convert potential customers. You need to look at your site visitors' behavior and try to figure out why they took the paths they did, and then how to divert them to the path you want them to take.

In a recent discussion between my co-workers on this topic, the questions flew, i.e. "Why didn't that visitor click on the form link?" and "Do people who found us through a 'natural' search result behave differently than those that clicked a paid ad?" and "How can we set up an A/B comparison for our home page without threatening its PageRank?"

We are entering an era where things like brick-and-mortar store window decorations and website home pages are not at all synonymous, as some of us used to think. The hues of your primary color scheme may make a bigger difference than the size of your type ... visitors don't see the whole page anymore, now they start in the upper-left corner and work their way down diagonally ... "click here" means nothing ... a "Secured by ..." logo means more than your privacy policy ... etc.etc.

Putting up the website is one thing. Getting an appropriate analytics package is another. Interpreting the data from that program is another. Acting on the interpretation is yet another. And having the strength to continually modify your site until you achieve optimal conversion rates is yet another.

As I mentioned in my previous post, 'depending on your goals', this can be relatively painless. After a while, is gets downright nit-picky.

But where will you be, without it?

StupidScript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2005, 06:12 AM   #4
4ndr3w
VIP Contributor

Send a message via AIM to 4ndr3w

Guys,

Thanks very much for the articles, links, and commentary. It's easy to lose sight of the fact that keeping the traffic you have is a lot cheaper than replacing it with new traffic. It would be a shame to spend on acquisition related expenses just to see that investment decimated by failed retention. This is a great reminder and a huge help.

4ndr3w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2005, 02:44 PM   #5
haystack

I've definitely learned a lot from web analytics. You know how grocery stores tend to put the milk at the back of the store so you have to walk past everything to buy something you'll need almost every time you walk in the door? Replicating that kind of store layout online would likely be a disaster. But, by analyzing your visitors behavior, you can find out what they're most often looking for, and get them to those products quickly THEN cross sell, up sell, etc.

I guess it would be more like having the milk FIRST in the grocery store, with someone standing next to it giving away free cookies while mentioning that the peaches in the next isle are incredible. Get something in their cart and keep them moving.

It sounds like Wine.com went a step further than what most common stats programs will tell you. They appear to be analyzing the search terms their visitors are typing into the wine.com search engine. That's a great way to find opportunities for new products, better product descriptions, etc. Your customers are telling you what they THINK you carry, so if you don't already carry it, get it and they'll buy it.

haystack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2005, 03:30 AM   #6
terrance05

Send a message via Yahoo to terrance05
Default Thanks

Thanks for the articles filled with lots of good information

terrance05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2005, 11:22 AM   #7
ROITracker

No problem guys. I have more helpful articles if you are interested.

Matt

Old 10th January 2005, 05:02 PM   #8
ROITracker

Arrow More Web Analytics Articles

Hi Guys,

Here's some more web analytic articles for you to enjoy! What a nice guy....I'm even including articles with my competitors in them...hehe. But this just goes to show how important this information has become.

Ace Mart Gets Smart on Marketing
http://www.destinationcrm.com/articl...ArticleID=4742

Analytics Programs Slowly Gaining Sway With Online Firms
http://in.us.biz.yahoo.com/ibd/041213/tech_1.html

Personal Computing | Web analytics can benefit site performance
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/bus...0426627.htm?1c

Happy number crunching!

Matt Lillig

Old 10th January 2005, 05:47 PM   #9
ROITracker

Thumbs up The data works!

Just to show how valuable this data is, we did a site redesign a few months ago at engineready.com using our own reports and our visitor *bounce rate dropped 30%.

* Bounce rate is the percentage of web site visitors who arrive at any entry page, then leave without going any deeper into the site.

Cheers,

Matt Lillig

Old 14th January 2005, 02:14 PM   #10
ROITracker

Wow, I didn't realize this post would be so popular. It even got posted on the SearchengineWatch.com Search Engine's Forum Spotlight last week.

http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/blog/050107-102004

Thanks!

Does anybody have any questions regarding the articles?

Kind Regards,
Matt Lillig