Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Search Engine Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th April 2015, 02:03 AM   #1
pukenlee

Post Information On Www & Non Www Site Versions

Google web master tool says they see www and non www site version as different web pages. if this is true can we rank both pages, that is www and non www website versions for same keyword?

Old 18th April 2015, 10:22 AM   #2
Spider
VIP Contributor

It's already difficult enough to get a good position in SERPS. By spreading your effort over two "separate" URLs, you are making it doubly difficult.

That said, I don't think you can get different ranking to www and non-www - because they have the same content - one forwards to the other.

However, it is my understanding that both versions are weakened by the other's strength. Best to focus on one of them - and it doesn't matter which one. When giving out your URL - by hand, e-mail, advertising, promotion, however - always use the same version so the other version does not get used by visitors.

Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2015, 02:54 AM   #3
designdigital

The reason why it always better to keep one version you can make use of 301 redirect for this purpose.

designdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2015, 07:24 PM   #4
oldbuddy
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to oldbuddy

I seem to remember when I set up Webmaster Tools it asked me if I wanted to show www or non-www in the search results.

Old 23rd April 2015, 05:05 PM   #5
zlass

Spider is right. When you use both www and non-www, you're weakening your own SEO efforts. This is because every time you do linkbuilding, you're pointing to only one of the two variations for your site.

That said, a method to getting multiple versions on SERPs would be to actually use subdomains and also completely different domains which point to similar, not duplicate content given that you're actively promoting each of the variations.

zlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2015, 12:38 PM   #6
seevskti

it is not possible, you can rank 2 different urls, altogether and not 2 versions www & non WWW. this because Google will rank different content and not same content.

seevskti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 12:51 AM   #7
mairajassy

well there be a duplication issue if you not set the www

mairajassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2015, 11:39 PM   #8
chrisjohn93
VIP Contributor

There is duplicate issu with your website and you have to fix it soon, other wiser both the pages with www and non www will black listed by Google.

chrisjohn93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 08:52 AM   #9
Spider
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjohn93 View Post
There is duplicate issu with your website and you have to fix it soon, other wiser both the pages with www and non www will black listed by Google.
To whom are you referring, Chris? Who has a duplicate issue with their website?

Also, I don't see any duplicate content in this situation. We are not talking about two sets of files with the same content - we are talking about one set of files with two different URLs pointing to the same files.

Plus, I do not believe that Google will blacklist anyone for having duplicate content - the worst they will do is ignore one of them. And by "ignore" I don't mean they will refuse to index one, they will index it but will simply not rank it.

I am open to correction, if any of the above is not true.

Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 11:07 AM   #10
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Spider, you're correct that Google doesn't penalize for duplicate content; they merely filter and only show one or the other. The problem for the webmaster is that Google may not show the one you want.

Which means, of course, no, this is not some tricky loophole one can exploit. One cannot generally get both the WWW and the non-WWW versions of a page to visibly rank for the same search query.

Technically, the definition of duplicate content is "the same content available through two or more URLs" so yeah, if Google sees the WWW and non-WWW as two separate instances, it would be duplicate content and would be filtered as such.

Again, from a technical perspective, the WWW version is simply a subdomain like any other subdomain (such as "blog.yourdomain.com" or "support.yourdomain.com"). It's a subdomain that has acquired a special meaning over time and generally doesn't get used the same as other subdomains, but that's really all it is.

So technically, if your server is set up for it, you could serve different content at the WWW and the non-WWW versions of your site. It would be unusual and unexpected, but there's nothing technically stopping it. And that is the only instance I can think of where there's a chance the two might show up for the same search query: if they actually were serving different content. But since that would be a very strange thing to do (not to mention all the extra work one would have to do to optimize two different pages equally for the same query) it's highly unlikely to happen.

Because of the special status of the WWW subdomain, many web hosts are already set up to automatically treat WWW and non-WWW calls the same. If your host already has things set up this way, all is well. If they don't, you may need to take other action to make sure Google knows how to handle the two.

Fortunately, Google is smart enough to see when the WWW and the non-WWW are the same thing, and they will eventually merge the two in their listings. Again, though, the problem is they may not merge them to show the one you prefer.

You can influence that by making sure that internally you only link to the version you prefer, and whenever you set up links externally (directory listings, buyer's guides, paid advertising, etc.) you only use the version you prefer. The problem with that is that you don't necessarily have control over how other people link to you, so there may be links that point to the non-preferred version.

Of course, the safest way to make sure Google shows the WWW (if that's what you want) or only the non-WWW (if that's what you want) right from the get-go is to use server-side redirects to send all requests for the undesired alternative to the desired version.

--Torka