Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th August 2006, 08:05 PM   #1
J.Albright

Default Blogger or Wordpress?

Blogger and Wordpress seem to be the two blog biggies right now. I have heard that "Wordpress" is a little more stylish, and you can do more things with it. "Blogger, I've heard, will get you quicker PR with Google, and therfore, is the one to choose if you really want to make money.

J.Albright is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 13th August 2006, 10:54 PM   #2
Matt McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Albright
Blogger and Wordpress seem to be the two blog biggies right now. I have heard that "Wordpress" is a little more stylish, and you can do more things with it. "Blogger, I've heard, will get you quicker PR with Google, and therfore, is the one to choose if you really want to make money.
More important than PR is 1) how much traffic you get, and 2) how well you convert that traffic. Your choice of a blog platform doesn't really matter too much on those two fronts, though I'd suggest that a WP blog on your own domain looks infinitely more professional than a Blogger blog using something.blogspot.com.

To answer your question, Wordpress runs laps around Blogger and there's nothing at all in the WP install that prevents a search engine spider from crawling a WP blog. It's very SE-friendly.

Hope this helps!

Old 15th August 2006, 03:20 AM   #3
Mousee

Send a message via Skype™ to Mousee

I used both and have chosen Wordpress. It seems to be more convenient. But certainly it's only my personal opinion.

Mousee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2006, 06:14 AM   #4
Kjellstroem

Send a message via ICQ to Kjellstroem Send a message via AIM to Kjellstroem Send a message via MSN to Kjellstroem Send a message via Yahoo to Kjellstroem Send a message via Skype™ to Kjellstroem

I'd got with Wordpress aswell.

Kjellstroem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2006, 10:35 AM   #5
BWelford

I use both for different blogs and they're all hosted on their own domains. Both are equally good for SEO. Wordpress is much easier than Blogger to use. At some point I'll probably move the Blogger one to Wordpress too, since Blogger has a few irritating features.

Old 15th August 2006, 01:52 PM   #6
Hendry Lee

Send a message via MSN to Hendry Lee Send a message via Yahoo to Hendry Lee

I would say it depends on your need.

If you are not willing to install, maintain and update your blogware then Blogger would be a good solution. With more flexibility, go with WordPress.

Because we are in the topic, Blogger.com has just released an beta version of the new "dynamic serving" version of Blogger. Would be cool... but it doesn't work with FTP/SFTP.

Hendry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2006, 02:13 PM   #7
JGAviator

Can anyone share in how WP works? Is it software installed locally and incorporated with your existing site? Can you modify the look of it to blend with the rest of your site? I guess I basically created my own blog template, but I am finding that I am spending too much time keeping track of everything versus writing content. I'm not trying to get hits by sharing the link, I would love feedback on the best way to set up a blog. http://www.jgirardi.com/Blogs/JimBlog.html

Thanks for the help (in advance)

Old 15th August 2006, 09:59 PM   #8
Matt McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGAviator
Can anyone share in how WP works? Is it software installed locally and incorporated with your existing site?
Yes, Wordpress is installed on your server and can then be incorporated into an existing site, or run as its own site/domain.
Quote:
Can you modify the look of it to blend with the rest of your site?
It's fully customizable if you're really comfortable in a code environment, but most users instead choose to install a pre-made Wordpress "theme" (a template, there are thousands of them) and then make some customizations to the theme. The more skilled you are with PHP and CSS, the more you can customize to your heart's content.

Old 15th August 2006, 11:32 PM   #9
JGAviator

Matt, I noticed after the download that it is asking if I have MySQL. I don't have it on my machine, but the hosting site does have it. Will it still work? I don't have any experience in PHP or CSS. I kind of know what they are, but haven't worked with them yet.

Old 16th August 2006, 01:09 AM   #10
Matt McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGAviator
Matt, I noticed after the download that it is asking if I have MySQL. I don't have it on my machine, but the hosting site does have it. Will it still work? I don't have any experience in PHP or CSS. I kind of know what they are, but haven't worked with them yet.
Hi Jim - this is a bit out of my comfort level. Server setup and such is not really my thing.

Wordpress does require MySQL to run. When WP is setup on the hosting server, you'll need to have the MySQL database setup and tell Wordpress where it is, what its name is, etc.

I'm assuming you're not hosting all this on your own home machine, right? Your hosting company should be able to help you with setup, and there should be some documentation with the WP software.

You might also consider (if it's not too late) hosting somewhere that offers a 1-click install. My blog runs that way and it was literally 3-4 minutes from start to finish to get Wordpress installed and ready to configure.

Hope this helps.....