Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 70,000 small business folks with over 120,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Pay Per Click Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st June 2006, 03:48 PM   #1
thejenn

Send a message via AIM to thejenn

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Default Google Testing Pay for Performance Ads

Authored by: Jennifer Laycock

Full Text: http://www.searchengineguide.com/laycock/007810.html

A Snippet:

What would happen if the largest online advertising network in the world decided to skip past issues like click fraud by integrating an affiliate style advertising program straight into their already popular network? Apparently, Google is ready to ask that question and everyone else is awaiting the answer.

Old 21st June 2006, 07:35 PM   #2
magicanswers

Publishers are watching drastic decreases in Adsense payout. Advertisers are opting to pull their ads from the network for poor performance. SERP's are full of circle jerk adsense pages leading to more adsense pages... Google has to do SOMETHING in order to maintain their advertising revenue.

I think this is just the beginning. PPC advertising is going to go thru some severe changes within the next year....

C. Crawford
Webhosting
Affiliate Website Design

magicanswers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2006, 11:12 PM   #3
murdergal

Send a message via Yahoo to murdergal
Thumbs up Wave of the Future

Personally I think it is a fantastic idea from an advertisers point of view and we are the ones that actually control where our advertiser dollars are spent.

I do use Adwords, but I do not advertise on content sites (IE: no adsense) I tried it for 2 weeks and it sucked up 4 times as much as adwords with almost no sales. My conversion rate was about twice the cost of my product! There is no doubt in my mind that click fraud is a serious issue. I also see instances of it in adwords google, but not even close to as bad as content sites. In adwords I have to worry about spiteful competitors and when you are at the top of the pile they tend to aim for you. I think that pay for results will fix those problems.

I also think that it will be good for the content site. A site might want to carry my ads, but since I do not advertise in the content network they cannot. They are missing out in having a good choice of advertisers. More and more advertisers are pulling out of the content network. And with clickfraud becoming more of a problem every day, the ppc networks are going to be faced with finding a change that will work and prevent multi-million dollar lawsuits!

Count me in the moment it goes live

murdergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2006, 10:47 AM   #4
jmjj215
VIP Contributor

This has me very interested, to say the least. It would be the largest "affiliate" network on the internet I imagine. I wonder why Google then cares if you "incite" people to click on the link? It doesn't hurt the advertiser any, doesn't hurt the visitor... they would have to buy for it to have any (and then it would only be positive) effect at all.

jmjj215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2006, 05:41 PM   #5
esearing
VIP Contributor

I like the Adbrite model where as an advertiser I can pick the sites I want to advertise on, or as a publisher I can approve who advertises and set prices.
My only beef with Adbrite is the lack of quality and inconsistent pricing.

If Adsense begins allowing publishers to pick ads that would be fantastic.

esearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2006, 11:29 PM   #6
murdergal

Send a message via Yahoo to murdergal
Lightbulb

I think the Google rule not to incite people to click is meant to prevent hype and to provide quality promotion over sensational (and most likely false) promotion. My guess is they want the usage to be tasteful, which will result in more satisfaction for all parties. Those viewing the ads and those reaping the benefits of viewers clicking on quality ads. As a long time web person, I can tell you I am totally turned off to anything that is flashy, gaudy & tells me to Click It! These days you have to be leary of anything that incites you to click.

murdergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2006, 01:10 AM   #7
jmjj215
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdergal
I think the Google rule not to incite people to click is meant to prevent hype and to provide quality promotion over sensational (and most likely false) promotion. My guess is they want the usage to be tasteful, which will result in more satisfaction for all parties. Those viewing the ads and those reaping the benefits of viewers clicking on quality ads. As a long time web person, I can tell you I am totally turned off to anything that is flashy, gaudy & tells me to Click It! These days you have to be leary of anything that incites you to click.
Yeah, you have a point there for sure.

jmjj215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2006, 11:57 PM   #8
PaulMS

Default And right when Snap starting making noises...

What I find interesting that most of the pay for performance whispers are happening right when Snap.com is making noises. If you don't know Snap, it's being developed out by the same people that developed out Overture and ultimately sold it to Yahoo.

Snap specifically stated they were going to avoid clickfraud issues by going to a straight CPA model.

PaulMS is offline   Reply With Quote