Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Search Engine Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st December 2013, 03:28 AM   #31
heartgann

how come it's dead when blog comment really exist still? right? I guess you don't have to look comments for beneficial purposes on your side. Take a look at it as an element wherein it can actually provide you leads and it can provide resources as well. Don't count it as part of your SEO strategical thing where you look at it in a way that can boost up organic position in serps.

heartgann is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 2nd December 2013, 02:25 PM   #32
Glad Lawn Care

Quote:
I use mainly moderated blogs. You are able to "sneak" a link, if your comment adds value to the post. An opinion on a topic you are competent about. Another view, even a correction to the author. Moderated blogs are easy to notice - it is posted regularly there.
So much of what I see when it comes to blog comments are just fluff. Like, 'great post', or 'this was really informative.'

It seems like either most have very little to say on the blog they are trying to add a link to or they just don't want to share an informative opinion.

In the end, it makes you wonder, how many of the comments being added to blogs are just from people being paid to build links to a site.

Glad Lawn Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 05:45 PM   #33
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

I get vapid comments like that to my blogs pretty much every day. I mark them all as spam and delete them.

I suspect they're all being written by "link builders." Some of them may be paid. Of the paid "link builders," they're divided between scammers who know they're not doing anything useful, and the merely incompetent. The rest of the commenters are simply misguided site owners who think they're doing useful "marketing."

In any case, what they're doing is a huge waste of time (and, possibly, money).

Real (thoughtful, useful, interesting, entertaining, content-rich) blog comments are not dead, and will not ever be dead as long as blogs themselves exist.

--Torka

Old 3rd December 2013, 11:00 AM   #34
danieldd

Send a message via Skype™ to danieldd

Hey, Torka, just for the information I would like to ask you some questions. It would be good to see both sides of the coin.

Do you read the comments? I know it is easy to see when a comment is spam. But do you judge on anything else than what is written - for example, if I've inserted a link in my name section, or done so in the signature of the comment, would you bother to read what I've written. Is the name important, the email or the IP address?

Would like to hear your insights on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torka View Post
I get vapid comments like that to my blogs pretty much every day. I mark them all as spam and delete them.

I suspect they're all being written by "link builders." Some of them may be paid. Of the paid "link builders," they're divided between scammers who know they're not doing anything useful, and the merely incompetent. The rest of the commenters are simply misguided site owners who think they're doing useful "marketing."

In any case, what they're doing is a huge waste of time (and, possibly, money).

Real (thoughtful, useful, interesting, entertaining, content-rich) blog comments are not dead, and will not ever be dead as long as blogs themselves exist.

--Torka

Old 3rd December 2013, 11:09 AM   #35
torka

I read every comment posted (at least, those that make it past the spam filters in the first place -- many don't, and I will at best merely occasionally skim that list to make sure nothing legitimate has been caught up).

I generally tend to give more benefit of the doubt to comments that have what appears to be a real person's name attached (as opposed to putting a company or product name in the "name" field). I'm not getting into a conversation with a company or a product. When somebody comments under a company or product name, they're making it way too obvious they're just there doing "marketing," and not really interested in a dialog.

I don't mind if somebody links their name to their company website, because my software automatically adds a "nofollow" to that link. They're not going to get any "juice" from it, so the only benefit it will get them is possible traffic -- if they post an interesting enough comment, another reader may be inspired to click through. So there's some incentive to not waste my time with crappy "me, too" comments.

If somebody tries to insert a link into the body of an otherwise acceptable comment, I will edit it to remove the link.

If the comment is obviously just there as "carrier" for the link, not intended to advance the conversation in any way (like one of those stupid "you have the greatest blog I've ever read" comments), it gets dumped.

I'd rather have a blog with no comments than to have a comment stream clogged up with that kind of crap.

My

--Torka

Old 3rd December 2013, 03:40 PM   #36
danieldd

Send a message via Skype™ to danieldd

Thanks, Torka, I think your answer should be a lesson for all of the "commenters" out there who do it wrong.

danieldd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 06:46 AM   #37
mlm01

Default blog submission in seo is dead?

this is nice information but my question is blog submission in seo is dead Example ( wordpress, blog . com, yola and more free blog posting sites )
and blog submission is spamming for google?

mlm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 11:44 AM   #38
torka

Not sure what you mean by "blog submission."

If you're talking about posting blog comments just to try to get backlinks, yes, that's dead. It's spamming. It's always been spamming. Blog comment spam has never been a legitimate tactic (not an SEO tactic, not a marketing tactic, not any kind of tactic). Not just in Google's opinion, but also in the opinion of the blog owners.

If you're talking about submitting crappy automatically-spun "guest posts" to equally crappy blogs filled with other crappy "guest posts," well, that's dead, too. Actually, it's been dead (or mostly dead) ever since the first Panda update came out nearly two years ago. So it's been dead for a long time. Sadly, that doesn't stop low-value so-called "SEOs" from recommending it to their naive customers.

If you're talking about submitting an originally-written, high quality, entertaining and informative guest post to a relevant blog where the site owner actively moderates all posts (and possibly sends articles back for further editing before publishing) that could still be a viable marketing tactic.

NOTICE I DIDN'T SAY "SEO TACTIC." Any blog posting you do strictly "for SEO purposes" is -- IMO -- by definition, spam. Done correctly, guest posting can be a legitimate marketing tactic. It will build awareness, promote your brand and potentially bring additional traffic to your site (from blog readers clicking through to find out more about you). Any SEO benefit you might get from it is secondary, and "SEO" should never be the primary focus of your guest posting activities.

My

--Torka

Old 9th February 2014, 01:02 PM   #39
John Alfred

Agreed. Any strategy which attracts visitors is always advantageous and can't be dear, however, could be overcome by new more efficient strategies as technology has always been getting updated from time to time and more earlier than anything else.

John Alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2014, 06:26 AM   #40
gaylerichardson

Hii, yes i agree with you for this blogs comment topic and thanks.

gaylerichardson is offline   Reply With Quote