Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th May 2006, 03:55 PM   #1
Linda
VIP Contributor

Default How To Use Your Blog to Market Your Business

Biana Babinsky has an article on ways to handle your blog.

"Have A Special Offer On Your Blog. Do you offer a free special report? Do you offer a mini course as a bonus for new newsletter subscribers? Add the offer to your blog. This will transform people from casual surfers who just happened to find your blog to newsletter subscribers."

Catch it @ http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/ar...ng/004907.html

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 5th May 2006, 09:45 PM   #2
vangogh
VIP Contributor

Thanks for the link Linda. I've been blogging for a few months now and have to say it really is helping me gain exposure in search engines. I'm in a very competitive industry and as much as I wish it were otherwise it's going to take me quite some time to build up the links necessary to compete on some keywords.

The blog though allows me to compete on keywords in the search tail since I can write very focused posts. It's also helping me develop repeat visitors and some hopefully will become clients.

It's also an easy way to build a site and search engines do have a fondness for larger sites that are frequently adding new pages. The key to having a successful blog is definitely to post regularly. It doesn't have to be every day though the more posts the better. Post regularly and your readers will learn quickly when you post and come to visit when they know a new post will be up.

Old 9th May 2006, 12:19 AM   #3
Natasha2005

Default New Blog

I just started a blog yesterday, and linked to my two businesses. I wont be linking directly from them to the blog, but I did put mention in it (I cant do anything much without my web designer and she isnt cheap).
I know I got listed in the Google Directory, but is that enough? Is there anything else I need to do for people to find my Blog? I noticed using one of the meta tag and web site analyzers that my Blog looks better than my web sites.
Thanks for any little tips you can provide.

Natasha2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2006, 12:27 PM   #4
vangogh
VIP Contributor

I try not to worry much about meta tags and site analysis software, but prefer to concentrate on building links. If your blog allows you should set it up to automatically ping some of the blog services out there. That way every time you publish a new post or even edit an older one all those blog services will get updated and come crawling your blog usually in minutes.

You can also register your blog with blog directories. RSSTop55 has a list to get you started

The same techniques you would use to get people to find your main site should also be used to promote your blog.

Old 9th May 2006, 01:38 PM   #5
Natasha2005

Default Thanks for the tips......

I already did half of what you suggested.
Thanks soooo much!

Old 10th May 2006, 10:19 AM   #6
pumpkin03

Thanks for sharing the article, Linda. Have been blogging myself for quite a while now and i can say that it sure did gave a lot of exposure for my business.

pumpkin03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2006, 01:19 PM   #7
Natasha2005

Default Did I mess this up?

I set up the blog for our main business and our offshoot business. They go together, more or less.
Should I have done two blogs though?

Old 11th May 2006, 12:33 PM   #8
BWelford

Even if your blogging software automatically pings a few aggregator services you might want to use Pingoat or Ping-O-Matic! that ping many more.

Old 11th May 2006, 06:37 PM   #9
vangogh
VIP Contributor

Barry you can set up WordPress (and other blogs I imagine) to ping the services you mentioned. That's how I have mine set up. You're right though in that the ping services will go much farther than pinging a few sites.

Old 13th May 2006, 10:28 PM   #10
FaTeD

Send a message via MSN to FaTeD

Just started a mailing list in my blog. Thanks, Linda, the idea of sharing reports or free ebooks or something struck me. I will put that idea to work.

I have started my blog for like 3 months now, but is not actively advertising it, yet, I do have 4 to 5 comments from other business people, imagine what is it like when I advertise it? lol....

Another thing, you blog should be very much content focus, must be having useful information or it will not work.

Cheers!

FaTeD is offline   Reply With Quote