Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Ecommerce
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th October 2012, 03:05 PM   #1
softwareDev

Default Approaching Distributers/Manufacturers About Drop Shipping Their Products

I am starting an ecommerce business which will sell leather goods. I donít want to hold a lot of inventory so I would like to drop ship some of the products which my site will sell. I am looking for advice on how to approach distributes/manufactures of leather goods about drop shipping their products.

1. How is it best to approach distributors? Is there a standard way this is done?

2. How do I go about forming agreements with distributors? Is there a standard way payments are handled? For example: A seller purchases an item from my site, I request the distributor ship the item to the seller. At what point to do I pay the distributor? Does the distributor bill me? Is there a standard way this is done so everyone is assured they will get their money/product?

3. What type of margins should I expect with this strategy? I would expect them to mark the price up more then with large order, but I would still need a low enough price to make some money.

Any advice/ideas on this subject would be helpful.

Thanks,
Karlis

softwareDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 15th October 2012, 02:29 PM   #2
viper_one
VIP Contributor

Buy the products from manufactures and tell them to ship to such and such a destination for you. But, I think it might go much smoother if you were to purchase volume from them (over the course of the year). Just try contacting their sales department before you actually make a move, to see if they are open to this kind of arrangement.

Old 12th January 2013, 05:31 AM   #3
ThomasT

Send a message via Skype™ to ThomasT
Default Make a good marketing presentation

Hi,

There are ton of dropshippers out there, all use the same china dropshipping companies... It starts to get boring right?

But i guess what you ask for is to get someone else that might not offer dropshipping as a typical way to send out their products?

So if i should start a ecommerce business today using drop shipping, i would source out some great products from well known brands.
Make a unique marketing strategy that would impress the supplier(s) Try to hook in some big partners in order to be promoted etc..

Make a exellent ecommerce site to impress the suppliers...a smart social media strategy for wich will be used in order to reach out to alot of people instantly..

Make it look big, so the suppliers will believe in your project that this will make high volume in sales...
Every supplier no matter who they are, are interested in sales...it is what feeds them.

From my understanding alot of businesses are having a hard time in most countries these days, take advantage of that and do something new, something out of the box idea to sell sell sell :-)

ThomasT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 06:41 AM   #4
WolfStores

Hi Karlis,

I will not repeat the advice already given by the other members.

Once you are in contact with potential dropshippers you need to also discuss with them in what format they will supply their products feed (images, descriptions, prices, etc.) to you, as you would then need to upload all of those products to your own ecommerce website. You need to ensure that the ecommerce platform that you will choose allows you to easily/automatically upload the products.

Hope this helps

Best Regards,

Tim