Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Link Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th June 2013, 06:13 AM   #21
Abhinandan Garg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabelle1 View Post
Does directory sites is effective now a days?

I am wondering if this strategy is effective because a lot of directory submission i manually did until now take no effect.
I would prefer business listing instead of general directories.. most of directories are full of spam links they don't add anything to money site instead of devaluedating them

Try business listing sites

Abhinandan Garg is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 12th June 2013, 08:51 AM   #22
PatprecisionE
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinandan Garg View Post
Try business listing sites
I've hit the major business listing sites. Any idea how I can find more?

PatprecisionE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2013, 09:49 AM   #23
panthervision23
VIP Contributor

Yes they are still effective. But not as potent as they were years ago.

panthervision23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2013, 06:29 PM   #24
Social-Media

There are VERY few directories that actually help your rankings these days. MOST directories will actually hurt your rankings, especially if they make up more than a low single digit percentage of your backlink profile.

You are better off building natural, editorial links where other webmasters link place links on their site pointing to your rather than looking for ways to "plant" links on sites owned by others.

I would suggest that you:

1) Determine your target audience
2) Determine which sites that target audience frequents online (these are sites where you want to get links)
3) Determine what kind of GREAT content, tool, or resource you can build that those sites would find useful or of interest to their visitors
4) BUILD IT! whatever it is... But be sure to make it great. Mediocrity will not attract natural links.
5) Make those websites which your target audience frequents aware that your GREAT content, tool, or resource exists. Ask them to check it out and to share it with their visitors if they think it's good. If you've done your job correctly in step 4 then you will get links from these sites.

Old 17th June 2013, 07:30 AM   #25
Michael Norman

My opinion and experience say "No". I've tried a lot of directories for the submission of my sites and there were no results. Any. There are 3 reasons of this:
1) Free directories that are not visited by a considerable amount of users and are unpopular
2) Directories with paid submission - I can't say that they are useless but their services cost rather expensive so it's hard to say if they are effective or not
3) Directories (like DMOZ) where the approval of your site will take years and without definite result.

Last edited by Michael Norman; 18th June 2013 at 02:15 AM.
Michael Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2013, 09:57 AM   #26
Jessicacis

Default Does Directory Sites Is Effective Now A Days?

Yes directory submission are effective to some extent. There are directories which give you good back link to your website. And, for the initial project it helps a lot.

Jessicacis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2013, 10:47 AM   #27
AmyCarter88

Would you like an answer that is real, tested, and not just an opinion? I'd be happy to provide that for you.

My coworker and I ran an experiment on a website that we designed for a client. They have absolutely no SEO, no on-page optimization...nothing.

We wanted to test the effectiveness of directory submissions, so we used this site and to be sure it wasn't ranking, we ran a report on the site before submitting the directories. Nothing was ranking.

We had 50 directories submitted with variations in the content to make it natural. These are the results:

AmyCarter88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2013, 10:52 AM   #28
AmyCarter88

Now, to summarize my opinion of the results.

I DO NOT think that directory submissions is a homerun...at all. I think it is 1 way to enhance your campaign. If you want to take a break from pumping out content and submit some directories, it will not hurt you and will give you some link diversification.

Hope this helps

AmyCarter88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2013, 03:01 PM   #29
waynemorrise
VIP Contributor

Directory submission is still working. You will just stick on what kind of niche your website is. And that's it, you will surely never go wrong with it.

Old 18th May 2017, 10:49 PM   #30
martinsumichras

This technique is no longer effective now because most of the directory site contain spam and negative links. So it is not a good practice to use directories for your project.