Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th August 2012, 01:11 PM   #1
KhleSmizth

Default Increase PR

Can anybody help me increase the pr for my website. Currently it's at zero but the Alexa ranking is in 4,000,000. Is that good? What are the best ways to increase my website pr? Also I keep hearing about white and black hat methods, what is that all about.

Anything will help,
Thanks in advance
Khle

KhleSmizth is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 19th August 2012, 10:18 AM   #2
JunkDawgs

A quick answer would be to write a press release about your business/website; this could also be a general story about the mission of your biz/site. Then go the sites that accept press releases and that will help your rankings.

JunkDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 04:00 AM   #3
Kevin H

KhleSmizth,

starting with the White Hat / Black Hat question. This harks back to the good old Western Movies where the 'good' guys all wore White Hats and the 'bad' guys all wore black hats.
In SEO terms; if you follow the 'rules' (guidelines) of the search engines then these are White Hat techniques; if you try to 'cheat' (game) the system then you are using Black Hat tecniques.
(Of course this totally ignores real life where to be successful in SEO you probably need a hit of Grey in there )

With regards to PR this is entirely dependent upon the backlinks (links from other sites to you) you have coming to your site. A proportion of the PR from any page linking to one of your pages is 'passed' to you.
So, to get more PR to your page, you need more links in. HOWEVER!!!!!!

However, don't focus on the PR that you can see; not only is it not accurate it is only refressed two or three times a year. I only use is as a GUIDE as to how likely someone elses page is to be crawled if I get a link on there. High PR means that my link MAY be found more quickly than on a page with low PR. (But even this is a guide only).

When it comes to building links, basically, stay away from Black Hat tricks; if you don't know what you are doing REALLY WELL this will only lead to problems later.
Stick to looking for opportunities to place links where your customers are likely to see the link, (some pages like directories have 100s or 1000s of links on a page - just how likely is your link to be seen?), be interested in clicking it (so on a page relevant to your topic), and be likely to do business with you.

Kevin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 02:28 AM   #4
nehadas87

try to get some backlinks from high PR sites.. then your Website's PR will increase for sure.

Old 21st August 2012, 03:53 PM   #5
JunkDawgs

What are some high PR sites that you use for backlinks?

JunkDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2012, 06:15 AM   #6
nehadas87

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkDawgs View Post
What are some high PR sites that you use for backlinks?
They could be directory sites, article sites (like http://www.selfgrowth.com, http://www.sooperarticles.com/), guest blogging sites and blog commenting sites.

Old 22nd August 2012, 12:23 PM   #7
annagoldd

This is really common question of the business people but I do not recommend old method. One of my SEO experts who is doing marketing of my website . He said that No everything is changed and This is really hard to come on first position in Google.

annagoldd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2012, 12:55 PM   #8
rank90

Do social bookmarking and forum posting at high PR sites.

rank90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 01:34 AM   #9
eastvantage

i'm keeping the old seo methods, and as i can see they still can help in increasing a website's PR, like mine, we were in PR2 when I started working with our SEO 6mos ago and now it has PR3 already.

Old 26th August 2012, 09:34 AM   #10
KhleSmizth

Thanks for all the good info

KhleSmizth is offline   Reply With Quote