Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Social Media
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st August 2011, 11:03 PM   #1
Julianflynn

Smile Facebook And Twitter

Hi fellow forum members. I think we could maximize the use of our Social Media sites if we could exchange likes and follow each other.

Please post your Facebook Page and Twitter URL. And if you have a LinkedIN account please do post also

Thanks in advance

Julianflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 1st September 2011, 12:28 AM   #2
Russell Allert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julianflynn View Post
Hi fellow forum members. I think we could maximize the use of our Social Media sites if we could exchange likes and follow each other.

Please post your Facebook Page and Twitter URL. And if you have a LinkedIN account please do post also

Thanks in advance
Hi Julian

I hope this doesn't come off as too harsh, but while this may seem like a good way to boost your social media numbers, I really don't think this is a good idea.

The main reason I say this is that it totally lacks what you should be striving for: engagement.

While you may boost your numbers slightly, those who like you just to receive a reciprical like, will be hollow followers and probably have very little on-going interest or engagement with you or your page. And real engagement is what you should be striving for.

The reason you want someone to like or follow you is they find a compelling reason to do so - they see true merrit in your product/service, think you could be useful to them, they find the content you are providing exceptional, or other compelling reason.

Not just because they will get a like or follow in return.

A better way to go is to provide outstanding content and advice (for free) and make yourself useful, even indespensable. That's how you get engaged fans.

Looking forward to finding out more about you and what you do.

Russell Allert

Old 1st September 2011, 06:47 AM   #3
Gary Barzel
VIP Contributor

I agree with Russel, engagement is crucial in order to build a successful social media following. We also have to remember that social media is not really that much different than in real life. People want to get to know you because you either have something to offer them, or you make a good friend. That means either by listening to them, responding to them, and socializing with them.

Old 1st September 2011, 09:30 PM   #4
Julianflynn

Thank you for the great insights Russel and Gary. You guys gave me the reason to follow you on Twitter. I will be looking forward for your posts and tweets.

Julianflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2011, 09:43 PM   #5
Russell Allert

Quote:
Thank you for the great insights Russel and Gary. You guys gave me the reason to follow you on Twitter. I will be looking forward for your posts and tweets.
No worries, Julian. I am glad you found the advice useful.

One thing I noticed was that the images on your Facebook Welcome page don't seem to be loading.

Cheers!

Russell Allert

Old 2nd September 2011, 03:17 AM   #6
JazMajor

There should be a like button in this forum. Liked your insights Russel and Gary

JazMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2011, 08:14 AM   #7
Gary Barzel
VIP Contributor

Quote:
You're very welcome, I hope you will gain from them, and I look forward to sharing with you as well.

Old 2nd September 2011, 08:21 PM   #8
Russell Allert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMajor View Post
There should be a like button in this forum. Liked your insights Russel and Gary
Haha! Thanks, Jaz.

Old 15th August 2012, 02:25 PM   #9
donovanjames786
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Allert View Post
Hi Julian

I hope this doesn't come off as too harsh, but while this may seem like a good way to boost your social media numbers, I really don't think this is a good idea.

The main reason I say this is that it totally lacks what you should be striving for: engagement.

While you may boost your numbers slightly, those who like you just to receive a reciprical like, will be hollow followers and probably have very little on-going interest or engagement with you or your page. And real engagement is what you should be striving for.

The reason you want someone to like or follow you is they find a compelling reason to do so - they see true merrit in your product/service, think you could be useful to them, they find the content you are providing exceptional, or other compelling reason.

A better way to go is to provide outstanding content and advice (for free) and make yourself useful, even indespensable. That's how you get engaged fans.

Russell Allert

I agreed with you dear, its not a good way to increase your twitter followers or friends. Here you can create a huge network but none of them can help you to generate business revenue or none of them would be interested in your business so its like time wastage.

Old 6th September 2012, 12:42 PM   #10
donovanjames786
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Allert View Post
Hi Julian

Russell Allert
Agree With you mate! that there no benefit in getting merely fans from whom you cann't generate even a single lead. Increasing fans like this would only increase you in numbers , but not in dollars that is something we all are looking for.