Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 70,000 small business folks with over 120,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th March 2012, 09:48 PM   #1
canadian1000

Default Need Some Ideas And Advice

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if you guys could give me some ideas. I recently got scammed by a company that claims to assist small businesses get financing for their start-ups and small businesses.

So, I started a Small Business Assistance Centre website of my own where I provide the information they charge people for, for 100% free. So far, my focus has only been on providing them with grant and loan information in Canada.

What other ideas would you like to see in a Business Assistance Centre? I need ideas to incorporate into my website so that it isn't JUST about Grants/Loans and Financing. What would be useful to any small business owner, or aspiring entrepreneur?

Thank you

canadian1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 9th March 2012, 04:34 AM   #2
Reg Addking

A genuine online portfolio of loans and grants you can apply for would be a boon to small businessmen. There are rip-off intermediary services for this sort of thing. You could be the one good one.

Reg Addking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 10:08 AM   #3
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

In the USA, we have the Small Business Administration: http://www.sba.gov/

They have information there on pretty much everything a small business owner might need to start, grow and maintain a business.

You could try looking over their site, seeing what they offer. That may give you some ideas for the general kinds of things you'd like to include (but focused on Canadian laws and customs, of course, as opposed to those of the USA).

--Torka

Old 9th March 2012, 10:17 AM   #4
HCChris

I think the SBA is a good place to start. You may also want to take a look at entrepreneur.com for some ideas.

I'm not sure what there is available in Canada; but I wouldn't be surprised if there is something similar to the SBA. You should probably take a look into that.

If there is a government run small business assistance program, then you may want to consider shifting your website to offer a unique advantage. Perhaps you could put entrepreneurs in touch with mentors to help them with the issues that all small businesses meet. You could even do some mentoring/consulting yourself.

HCChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2012, 02:14 PM   #5
morganbarnhart

Maybe you could provide information on which company's are scams? You said you were scammed by one place so let people know your experience and open the idea for others to tell their experience of how they were scammed.

But of course, it needs to be a legit scam, not just someone who is mad because there was miscommunication or something.

There are a lot of websites out there to help small businesses so the more focused you can be, as in, just giving info about Canadian laws, how other Canadian businesses are finding success and so on, would be really helpful.

morganbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 01:02 AM   #6
canadian1000

Thank you everyone for your help and ideas.

I really want to take my bad experience and turn it into a positive one. I hope it helps people!

canadian1000 is offline   Reply With Quote