Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Sales
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st January 2012, 11:56 PM   #1
Tryinhard

Default New To Sales Need Advice

I just got a job at a store that sales cell phones,internet,and direct tv. I am to manage the store as well as a sales team. Its in a good area lots of nice bars and places to eat. Its near four schools so there a ton of college kids. The first goal is to get people in our store and im allowed to do anything to get them in. Any ideas to get people in and sale those items would be great. Thank you

Last edited by Tryinhard; 2nd January 2012 at 10:50 AM.
Tryinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 2nd January 2012, 01:34 PM   #2
paulplan2profit

Default Social media plus

Start working the social media and mobile marketing. All those people you allude to have cell phones so use them to YOUR advantage. Offer a January 'something' to catch their eye.

Sounds lie you are in a good spot. good luck!

paulplan2profit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 03:25 AM   #3
Tryinhard

Two ideas that I thought might get people in are hosting a speed dating event and a video game challenge since the area is full people between 20-30 years of age.

Tryinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 10:47 AM   #4
daveb1
VIP Contributor

Hi Tryinhard,

This may sound odd but have you though about hiring one of those dancing signing people? They must work as I see so many businesses use them. I have also seen them used for over 10 years just from my driving around / business experience. Another idea might be to partner up with the local bars and offer some kind of sports giveaway or contest.

daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 03:12 PM   #5
erinc500

It sounds like you are situated in an area with lots of foot traffic, which is a great thing! The key is getting them to come into your store. I agree with the earlier posts saying to either partner with a bar for promotions, or have some sort of promotion, event, etc. that gets people actually walking through your doors. Good luck!

erinc500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 04:11 AM   #6
Gary Barzel
VIP Contributor

I would work out a corporate rate (maybe some kind of group discount or a general % off) and approach the employees of each local business. This should start generating some local traffic and get the word out for you.

Old 14th February 2012, 08:15 PM   #7
DennisChang
VIP Contributor

Collaborate with the nearby restaurant and bars, offer your customers food/bar vouchers with every purchase of the cellphones or topup cards. It is a win-win situation.

Old 23rd February 2012, 01:56 AM   #8
bryansmith1129

Try organizing a fun event in the four schools in your vicinity. This will help in advertising about your store.

bryansmith1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2012, 01:57 PM   #9
HCChris

It seems like you're selling mostly high-involvement products/services (in other words, people think a lot before buying them). So I wouldn't focus too much on trying to get foot traffic in.

Instead I would focus on getting people into your store using events like the one's you have suggested. You may also want to offer some sort of "move in day" special to the colleges. So when students are moving into new apartments at the start of the school year. You'd also probably do well to offer really convenient installation of internet services or DirecTV

A disclaimer: I don't run a brick and mortar business, so this area isn't my forte; but I hope my thoughts will still help you.

HCChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2012, 06:04 PM   #10
trade-show-diva

I would think it might pay off at the beginning of each school year to have someone dressed like a huge cell phone go to the nearby campuses and hand out fliers. Student need what you're selling... you just need to let them know you exist.
Good luck!

trade-show-diva is offline   Reply With Quote