Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 70,000 small business folks with over 120,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Computer Hardware
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th May 2010, 09:08 AM   #1
ericlamda12

Default Business Phone Systems...

I'm looking to update the phone system we have at work (Nortel Meridian PBX) and am wondering what systems some of you have at work. Anyone using the Microsoft OCS? Cisco? Avaya? Etc? If so, I'd like to hear pros/cons of the system you have.

Thanks.

ericlamda12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 18th November 2010, 08:02 PM   #2
Jackrabbit.com

I realize that this question has been up for a while, but this is a very relevant topic for small businesses and I wanted to make sure it was addressed.

We use a TalkSwitch phone system at our office (I should disclaim that my company is a TalkSwitch authorized partner, but that's only the case because we liked their system so much ).

We looked at all of the options for business phone systems, from the hosted/cloud phone services to the enterprise level Microsoft/Cisco solutions. But we kept coming back to TalkSwitch because of their huge feature set, ease of use + great tech support, and fair cost.

I could go on and on with a list of pros for TalkSwitch, but I'll just point out a few.
  • Voicemail to E-mail - Every time a voice message comes in, the system sends an e-mail with the audio file of the message attached, which means that I don't have to call into the office to check messages anymore.
  • Remote Extensions - Cell phones can function just like local extensions on the system. Callesr can be routed straight from auto attendants to my cell phone, or to my office phone first and then to my cell phone.
  • Of course there is a huge list of other important features that are must-haves such as ring groups, conferencing, intercom, call queues, music-on-hold, VOIP support, etc.

As far as cons, really the only thing that we'd like to see is some integration with Microsoft Outlook. Being able to make and take calls that reference Outlook contacts would be useful.

I hope this helps with your decision making.

Alex @ Jackrabbit.com

Jackrabbit.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2012, 12:00 PM   #3
JBear89

My office uses a virtual PBX system, which is a business phone system that gives users the ability to manage incoming and outgoing calls through one phone number.

Pros:

Users are given a virtual number, which is a number not connected to a physical line with phone service. Callers can reach any phone line, analog or mobile, by dialing their extension or going through an automated menu.
An online control panel lets you configure the system, manage call logs, and so on.

Since virtual PBX systems work with your current phones (mobile and analog) so you don’t need to buy any additional hardware, which can save you a lot of money. Your employee’s personal mobile phones can also double as office phones if you don’t already have office phones.
Virtual PBX helps our small company project an image tantamount to a large company.

The service is hosted, meaning our company doesn’t have to worry about any maintenance issues

Cons:
Virtual PBX companies are not required to let you port your number, so if you decide to change providers, you may not be able to take your number with you.

JBear89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2012, 05:01 AM   #4
annagoldd

I also want to add some general information about business phone system.

Pros.

Low Cost , Video calling with high quality, Automatically selection numbers

Cons.

Highest usage of bandwidth, Sound deterioration when we call from business telephone system to normal calling services.

Last edited by annagoldd; 16th August 2012 at 10:08 PM.
annagoldd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 04:05 AM   #5
BeBizsmart
VIP Contributor

Some of the best phone systems,for both small business and large companies,include the likes of Avaya IP 500 Office,Alcatel Omni PCX and LG Ericsson(SOHO,iPECS,24IPE). I would personally recommend a Hosted VoIP system which might be a bit expensive to set up initially as compared to a premise-based IPBX or the other traditional systems but the benefits are numerous in the long run.More so for a business with multiple locations.
For one,the business will receive one phone bill.Calls can also be transferred between offices/stores and geography will no longer be an issue since all locations will be connected via the same network.
There are some things you need to look at when choosing a business phone system:
-What sort of feature set do you want,and how available do you want these to be?This is normally determined by the plan you settle for.
-Consider future growth-if you might need to expand the business,relocate or open new stores/offices
-Look out for the buzzwords most companies use to sugarcoat their technology.Scrutinize each before you move ahead to make the purchase.
-Of course,your provider's pedigree in the industry-you don't need one with limited understanding of the subject area,especially with regard to the VoIP systems.
-Level of support you will be offered-will every support call be charged?Will users get free training?Is support available on a 24/7 basis?Are there extra support calls per month even if you don't use it?Among other many things.

Hope this covers it.