Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 70,000 small business folks with over 120,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Computer Hardware
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th January 2010, 10:51 PM   #1
NewEnglander

Post Call Answering/Voice Mail System

Hello,

My company manages apartment complexes and employs superintendents and maintenance workers to address problems and emergencies as they arise within our properties. In order to facilitate this a phone paging solution was created some years ago. Unfortunately it has since been shown to be incredibly inefficient and frustrating as it is a 'dumb' solution in that when tenants call our system it automatically 'blind' pages (sends a signal that a voicemail has been left in the office) all of our superintendents. This is problematic as often times the tenant will hang up before leaving an actual message and because we only have one voicemail box they will often call for non-emergencies at all times of the night.

So, with this in mind, I've been tasked with identifying a system that will provide the following features to help improve our service and the sanity of our Supers:
- Automated Attendant
- Multiple Response Options (Press one for an Emergency, press two for...)
- Call-Forwarding (Rather than page send the call directly to the Super if an emergency)
- Multiple Voicemail Boxes (To allow for differentiated service based on needs)
I have found solutions but they are very, very expensive relation to our relatively small scale.

With this background in mind, are there any small, low-cost (<$300) systems that may provide these features? We use one analog line (I am trying to push for VoIP in the future but not just yet) but may be able to add a second if necessary.

I very much appreciate any help that you can offer. Thanks again.

NewEnglander is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 12th January 2010, 12:41 PM   #2
TDNmarketing

Default Virtual phone systems are the way to go

You said that VoIP might be in your future... but I am telling you it needs to be now. All your problems will be solved with a virtual phone service like Voice-Ring. (voice-ring.com) I use it in my marketing business, and it works great! VoIP has been a viable solution since the mid 90's, and now more than ever it is the best solution out there. With a Voice-Ring virtual phone system, there is an automated attendant, which allows you to pick options. There is voicemail notifications, and call escalation... using the find me/follow me feature, you can set it so a whole list of phone numbers ring in sequence or simultaneously until someone answers one of the phones. The voice-mail can call out to other phones, or send emails for notification. You can have many extensions on one internet connection and never get a busy signal. All offices, or super's residences are all on the same system, and as a perk they could all have unlimited long distance calling available as a perk... not to mention all the regular calling features, like caller ID, call waiting, call transfers, call park... the list goes on. You will not find a traditional KEY or multi-line phone system that will do what hosted VoIP systems can do, and virtual phone systems will be a whole lot cheaper in the short and long run. Hope this helps your decision.

Tim

TDNmarketing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 03:21 PM   #3
BrianH

Interesting. Ive just started researching my options on this. So far Ive seen offers of in the $200.00 a month range. My business is home based and there is travel involved. I cant always answer the phone though.
Missed business opportunities.
Its not in the budget yet but I see this in my future.

BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 04:36 PM   #4
TDNmarketing

Default It's easier than you think

Brian, you should be able to find something under 100 bucks a month that gives you unlimited calling, no long distance charges, and an auto attendant. You can even have multiple local phone numbers or toll free numbers ring to the same phone... and it can ring your office phone and your cell phone at the same time or in sequence. You really can't beat it. I e-mailed voice-ring from their contact us page on their website, they called me, we talked, and then Voice-Ring configured my phone and mailed it to me, I just plugged it into my router and started making calls. I am saving money on my telephone bills, and will never go back to land line service again.

TDNmarketing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 11:13 PM   #5
BrianH

Thank you.

BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2010, 09:18 PM   #6
PrettyMay

Default It can be done with Skype and PrettyMay

Since many small business are looking for the solution as you do.
Skype and PrettyMay has made a Skype PBX which designed for small business at a low cost, and it offers rich features such as Auto-attandant, IVR, voicemail, and a lot more.

PrettyMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2010, 09:20 PM   #7
PrettyMay

This can be done with Skype and PrettyMay.
Since there are many small business are looking for the same solution as you do.
Skype and PrettyMay provide a Skype based phone system for small business at the low cost, also with rich features such as auto-attandant, IVR, voicemail, etc.
And it's just $350 for one time fee for small business package, no other cost required.
If you want to learn more, check the website:www.prettymay.net

Last edited by PrettyMay; 1st February 2010 at 09:22 PM.
PrettyMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 04:22 AM   #8
rakeshjain

Default virtualglobalphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Interesting. I've just started researching my options on this. So far Ive seen offers of in the $200.00 a month range. My business is home based and there is travel involved. I cant always answer the phone though.
Missed business opportunities.
Its not in the budget yet but I see this in my future.
Brian, you don't have to miss the business oppurtunities just for a reason of not being able to answer it. at these times you can have the call forwarded to your email as a voice message. This is much possible for much less than $ 10 in later stages forwarding to a IPPBX will be very helpful and also solve problems like what our friends was asking for - a IVR, call transfers, call forwarding, call Q and others.

rakeshjain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2012, 01:47 AM   #9
biz6s

Default RingCentral

I know this is a older thread, but I have clients that are using Ring Central and it's been perfect for them. Yes, it's VoIP and yes, its in the cloud but it gives you all the features you're looking for in a phone system that you don't buy upfront. Auto-attendant, voicemail, e-FAX, call forwarding, etc.

You have buy your phones, but the service is (IMO) inexpensive compared to buying and owning a phone system.

biz6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2012, 12:16 PM   #10
annagoldd

I want to use Ring Central for my office but I need to try it first and they are not providing option of free trial for their Pro Version which is actually cheap and good for my phone system of business needs. I am not pretty sure but if I request them by email , they might give me an option of free trial.

annagoldd is offline   Reply With Quote