Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th February 2006, 09:55 PM   #1
Allied

Default Growing Pains, need advice please!

I am a mid level manager for a small business of about 60 employee's in the construction industry more particularly HVAC. I have been with the same company for 15 years. In that 15 years I have not seen a more exciting time as now, however! some do not see it that way. We have lost 6 employee's in the past month and a half three of them in the past week in a half. Three of these being what you would consider key employees. Our company has recently adopted a business development plan in the past year and a half and in this time has grown leaps and bounds. We just had our biggest year ever by increased profit, the aquisition of two smaller companies and the purchase of a new facility. Just about all employee's were rewarded with year end bonuses and added benifits. Part of the current business development plan has been the recent hiring of a professional strategic planning firm to help guide us in our future growth. I realize many people may be resistant to change but changes that have occured recently have had no direct effect on at least 5 out of the six who have left. I guess what what I would like to know is what could be causing this sudden drop off rate seemingly to be all unrelated. I would appreciate any thoughts you may have on this very important issue.

Last edited by Allied; 24th February 2006 at 10:12 PM. Reason: want others to know i am looking for advice
Allied is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 25th February 2006, 11:38 AM   #2
iconcameras

Default Growing pains

Allied,
Those are good questions, and probably ones that more managers should be asking in similar situations.

Were the key employees interviewed when they left as to their reasons? Often, employees don't want to talk bad about the company, but they might drop clues as to what made them want to move on. Actually, the employees are probably the best suited to tell what is really going on at their level.

Change (even positive change) is stressful to some extent on an organization. It sounds like the company is restructuring, and if they have made acquisitions recently there might be management restructuring as well. As exciting as this is for management, it can be very tough for employees. Remember the reaction to "the Bobs" in the movie Office Space? Sometimes requiring new methods or operating procedures or simply just the uncertainty of the future is enough to make employees feel very insecure and insignificant.

Every situation is different, so there isn't really any one "answer" but I think managers everywhere need to do as much as they can to foster the "open door policy." The employees need to feel that they are actually the ones driving the company, and not some uber-manager that gets paid 4 times their salary. As soon as employees feel like pawns rather than the ground troops doing the heavy lifting, their loyalty is lost. Studies have shown that recognizing employee contributions does more for employee satisfaction than salary/benefits increases.

That being said, this sounds like something you're concerned about, and that's a sign of good management. Hopefully, the rest of the managers above/below you have the same concerns.

-Matthew

Last edited by iconcameras; 25th February 2006 at 01:23 PM. Reason: typos
iconcameras is offline   Reply With Quote