Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd February 2006, 10:25 AM   #1
RoboEye

Default SEO Question

I am just curious what you guys and gals think in regards to how sites handle their SEO.

I have done quite a bit of reading and I have tried to tweak my meta tags the correct way. However when I do a search on MSN or google and the top sites show up I learned I could never beat them unless the search engines change.

We all know that you are not supposed to fill your site up with keywords because YOU COULD get banned by the Search Engines.

However, I have noticed that on all search engines the top sites will insert a ton of keywords into the body of their site and change the color to hide it.

Can we ever get passed this by doing correct keywords.

Just curious and the seo pros thoughts on this matter.

I could give an expample, but I don't want to pull any website into the mix. However if you just go to let's say msn and type in "dallas computer repair" and view the source of a few sites you will quickly see what I'm talking about.

RoboEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 22nd February 2006, 10:44 AM   #2
visitor

Hello Roboeye

As for hidden text scenario you've mentioned in your post, you can always report them for abuse. This is not unethical on your part as in bare essence, these sites in question have already violated the suggested guidelines by the search engine(s).

Title and Meta Description are important, but they are just 2 of Many variables of algorithm. As for Keyword-(insert Industry lingo here), don't worry too much about these. These Keyword-Density, Proximity, blah blah blah, etc. will work themselves out if you write for the prospects, not the search engines.

When the copy is written for people and conversion, it will, in the end, better serve you. You will notice that Keyword-whatever issue will resolve itself as your write without being hounded by it.

Don't chase the SE algo...you will tire before it does ...they are terrible prospects to begin with...robots don't buy your products/services

As for SEO, it's more important to keep yourself informed with things/practice(s) you should avoid....keep your site accessible for index...go with natural taxonomy...write your copy for people, not robots

Edit: these are on-site/-page optimization issue(s). As for server-side issues and link-issues, the principle remains the same - server-side issues (primarily for indexing) do command specific technical implementation.

HTH

Your humble,
visitor

Last edited by visitor; 22nd February 2006 at 10:57 AM.
visitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2006, 10:59 AM   #3
friese

Send a message via Skype™ to friese

They'll get caught eventually...and then it's to the sandbox for them. Keyword density is important, but I wouldn't say that it's the most important thing. Having good content and doing some link building has given me the best results.

Old 22nd February 2006, 11:10 AM   #4
mouse_man

I was typing my reply and I noticed that "Visitor" had replied ahead of me.. stealing my thoughts. LOL

Visitor’s post is right on target, and there is not much I can add other than:

Think of it as you see someone take a “handicapped parking” space, and that person is anything but handicapped. Do you feel if they parked in a handicapped space, and have a better parking spot than you, should you do the same??

I strongly suggest working on relevant content, and really not count on business from the search engine to grow your business. How is your “local” Yellow Page listing?

Search engines continually strive to give the users the most relevant content it is in their best interest. If you feel your site is more relevant just bide your time, and trust they will figure it out.

There are many on this forum much more qualified to answer your question than me, but accept it as my opinion.

Best of Success

mouse_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2006, 11:22 AM   #5
RoboEye

Thanks everyone for the great responses. I guess I was just annoyed more than anything else. However, I do agree that it is just a matter of time before they get caught.

I am working through all portions of my main site and reworking all my alt tags and keywords. I think it's just a matter of learning and tweaking and time.

I have had my main website for 5 years now. Just recently I have launched a new website on my 5 year old domain and I am looking to add a lot more business.

It was launched a week ago so I am giving myself a good year to get some solid rankings and hopefully get listed in DMOZ.

Anyway thanks for the input. Hopefully with the help of this site I plan on having some great future rankings.

Old 22nd February 2006, 03:30 PM   #6
Jim2Macs

Hi Roboeye,
I know I'm new here so I hope you don't mind if I put my 2 cents worth in, but the others above are about as right as you can get. Content for your visitors is probably the most important. Remember, the rules for one search engine are different for another. You do have a great looking site! Maybe re-arainge your tags, maybe add a couple more and match your keywords to your content and you should be off to a good start. Best of luck

Jim2Macs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2006, 04:32 PM   #7
RoboEye

Thanks Jim2Macs,

I appreciate the compliment on the websites. I will work on what you suggested and go from there. Thanks for taking the time to take a peak at my keywords.

RoboEye

Old 22nd February 2006, 04:59 PM   #8
visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse_man
...There are many on this forum much more qualified to answer your question than me...
In the end, no one here truly knows or understand fully what's really going on with algo of SE in discussion...unless you were one of the developers for that algo...the vice of SEM/SEO is just that...some people have more 'fame' due to their active involvement in the industry through speaking and/or writing...but there are many extremely talented professionals that prefer to stay away from the spotlight...but then again...there are those who should not even consult rabbits about SEM/SEO

On that note, Mouse_Man, I would call it unprofessional and unfair to question or even put a pre-judgment about your knowledge and qualifications regarding matter of SEM/SEO ...If you got the track-record to show you are a good-bang for the buck, you are as good as gold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by friese
Keyword density is important, but I wouldn't say that it's the most important thing.
It's been years since I even looked a Keyword-(factor) for any sites that I've worked with...but if working with the Keyword-(factor) works for you, by all means, go with what you know!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=click+here
Check SERP #1 and #2's Keyword Density...I know, it's a pickle

Your humble,
visitor

Old 22nd February 2006, 06:25 PM   #9
mouse_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by visitor
On that note, Mouse_Man, I would call it unprofessional and unfair to question or even put a pre-judgment about your knowledge and qualifications regarding matter of SEM/SEO ...If you got the track-record to show you are a good-bang for the buck, you are as good as gold!
If someone has the track record I fully agree. As I said it is only my opinion that I am sharing (no cost, now or the future), and there are others more qualified.

It is/has been my experience that relevant content is King, when it comes to ranking, and again only my opinion. I have several examples, but to mention only one.

My son was selling his home "by owner". I suggested (he is my Son, and will listen) that he create a website with all the information that would be helpful to a potential buyer. Including a 3rd party opinion as to value.. not a Realtor, but a professional at appraising property.

To help I provide him with hosting, and helped with the layout of the site. One of the supporting pages was my justification of value, and benefits for selling “by owner”. In this case, like the opinion I offered in my post, it was only my opinion based on personal experience. Freely offered.

We were getting phone calls from many people outside of our area, and I researched to see where, and how they were finding us. I was surprised to see this “one” page listed in the top five results of Google when searching for “by owner”.

This page had zero SEO work, no meta tags, and only a page title.

So it was this experience and other experiences that I offered my limited input. I am not competing for SEO work or taking away from the value of those that do sell their expertise.

I certainly don't want people to blindly follow my input, only do with it as they wish.

Kind Regards

mouse_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2006, 07:18 PM   #10
visitor

Mouse_Man,

I just didn't want you to sell yourself short

It's commandable for you to be humble, but I wanted to express my opinions about the whole 'expertise' subject.

Your constructive opinions and/or inputs, at least in my mind, is just as valuable to the readers as anyone else's here.

G'day

Your humble,
visitor