Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st March 2011, 01:07 PM   #31
cnich007

Send a message via Yahoo to cnich007

Blogger is the most basic and is ok if you're just a writer needing only to express yourself through text only.

WordPress is the medium platform, being an advanced web-blog/mini-web site.

If your business requires a true web site, WordPress isn't the ideal choice.

cnich007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 21st March 2011, 02:40 PM   #32
TilenKrivec

In what case would wordpress be a bad choice for a website? with the amount of customization it has you can build ANYTHING on it.

TilenKrivec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 03:44 PM   #33
cnich007

Send a message via Yahoo to cnich007

To answer TilenKrivec's question;

In many cases, it can be a matter of personal preference. Yes, you can do many things with Wordpress, but if you are looking to build more than just a blog then it isn't the way to go.

The main reason is due to navigation. The Wordpress platform is designed to create blogs, so if you're building a web site that is 30+ pages deep with content then you have no reason to be using a blog platform to do so.

It all depends on how much content you have. If you only need a handful of pages, then WordPress is the way to go. If your content is considerably more then that, you need to build a web site with a blog built into it.

cnich007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 05:35 PM   #34
TilenKrivec

Wordpress is not just a blog platform, its a CMS, highly customizable with themes, plugins, etc. I have yet to find a website style that wouldnt be suitable for wordpress platform and here is why:

- Plugins: Open source programs and scripts that you would otherwise have to pay some programer hundreds or thousands of $ to develop for your website are here for free

- Themes: Don't want to spend a couple of thousand $ on a professional design? Grab a theme from a site like http://themeforest.net/ for about 20-50$ and customize it to your needs.

- Ease of use (Drag&drop elements, WYSIWYG, etc.): Great for people who are not super tech savvy so they can still edit and update their website without having to delve neck deep into html code

TilenKrivec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 03:38 PM   #35
Nathan House

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnich007 View Post
In many cases, it can be a matter of personal preference. Yes, you can do many things with Wordpress, but if you are looking to build more than just a blog then it isn't the way to go.

The main reason is due to navigation. The Wordpress platform is designed to create blogs, so if you're building a web site that is 30+ pages deep with content then you have no reason to be using a blog platform to do so.

It all depends on how much content you have. If you only need a handful of pages, then WordPress is the way to go. If your content is considerably more then that, you need to build a web site with a blog built into it.
I disagree. I've built several websites with WordPress that didn't even have blogs; I just used WordPress as the CMS.

Two of my sites are:
www.mywirelessrevolution.com
and
www.roboticsguy.com

Notice that because of the nice themes, they don't really even look like Wordpress websites, but the development was easy because I used WordPress as the CMS.

WordPress also makes things like changing the menu structure easy, not to mention the millions of plugins available

Nathan House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 09:03 PM   #36
jpub

WordPress by far. There's a bit of a learning curve, buy you'll be happy you invested the time to go with WordPress.

The theme selection and plugins are second-to-none.

jpub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2011, 09:11 AM   #37
starki

I used both. My opinion is that with wordpress you can do much more than with blogger.

starki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 05:32 AM   #38
Lucky Adam

I am a regular user of wordpress and it is fantastic tool, easy to manipulate with diversified features.

Lucky Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2011, 11:24 AM   #39
Laura78

Wordpress

Laura78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2011, 06:26 PM   #40
adamvaldez

Default hi

Yes its Wordpress....Blogger is very basic...you cannot move it and so on. With Wordpress you can customize it the way you love more flexibility. For me itís Wordpress.

adamvaldez is offline   Reply With Quote