Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Direct Mail
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th November 2010, 07:16 PM   #1
TexasSaver

Default Zero Response Direct Mail Campaign. What Did I Do Wrong?

I did my research and thought I was embarking on a very profitable direct mail campaign. But now I'm not so sure what's going on and I can't get straight answers from anyone.

I have a small local magazine I print monthly and sent out a direct mail to solicit new advertisers. The postcard was 6x11 printed in full color and sent to 1,500 businesses.

I went out for a month prior to mailing and "softened" up the area by meeting business owners, handing them business cards, and leaving media kits. I went to well over 200 businesses in a month and met with owners. I then purchased a highly targeted list of that area. I pulled the SIC codes for the businesses I was targeting and generated the list from that.

The mailing dropped on October 25th and today is November 12th. I have not had a single phone call, no visitors to my website
(I have analytics installed for tracking), and no emails. Zero response.

Has anyone else ever had a zero response to a mailer that was planned and executed in this manner? I also haven't had any returned.

*To respect the owners of the forum, I did not post images of my mailers. If you have any information or advice and would like to see the mailer design, please PM me. I don't want to post images so people think I'm spamming my company. Even if I did, it would be another zero response campaign.

TexasSaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 14th November 2010, 01:46 PM   #2
Biz Optimizer

You aren't set up to recieve Private Messages - got following message :
TexasSaver has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

If you are trying to send this message to multiple recipients, remove TexasSaver from the recipient list and send the message again.

You can send me your examples at the email on my links - thanks.

Biz Optimizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 03:03 AM   #3
hdm
VIP Contributor

Good morning. I was so sorry to read that you didn't receive any responses from your direct mail campaign.

Your copy should be compelling enough to stand out and capture your reader's attention, highlight the benefits of your products or services, and should close with a call to action. Your message needs to give your reader a good reason to choose you over the competition.

Old 16th November 2010, 02:44 AM   #4
JohnFenton

Were you seeded onto the list?

If so... did you get your copy?

Your timing was rather bad for the mailing, that would have been the height of the political mail season. Political mail actually gets a special red tag put on it and gets handled first. I have seen a few times where mail was badly delayed, especially near the end of a political season. (I once had a political mailing arrive a month after the election was over.)

I have seen zero response at times, but overall I'm a bit surprised based on what you've said.

JohnFenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 04:55 AM   #5
rockroad005

I'm agree to the above said, just to add up. On every email campaign you must have to put opt-in/ opt-out message, just to prove to your sender that you are not a spammer.

rockroad005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 09:24 AM   #6
Slippery Slope

@TexasSaver: Make it easy on everyone and post the postcard art here. The forum mods won't think they're spam.

@rockroad005: Why are you talking about email campaigns when this is a thread about an offline print postcard?

Slippery Slope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 03:14 AM   #7
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

I would really be interested in seeing the postcard. My very first impression is that you didn't 'Touch your prospect's PAIN'. When I say pain, I do not necessarliy mean 'physical' pain. In short, whatever you TOLD them you were providing.... was something they didn't THINK they needed.

A postcard doesn't give you a lot of time to get attention. That means the headline MUST work really well. You also have to quickly tell them WHY they need to contact you and some sort of offer that provides a bonus for a response. THat would be your call to action.

In short....

HEADLINE to attract attention. Don't make them think.
USP or Unique Selling Proposition and tell them WHY YOU
CALL TO ACTION and OFFER.

Your copy is nothing more than support of the three points I listed. NOBODY will read your copy if the HEADLINE doesn't grab them. I am talking before I have seen anything... but I am thinking you spent a lot of time on your message... without spending the correct amount of time crafting a headline that ATTRACTED THEIR ATTENTION long enough to READ the content.

I would really like to see your postcard. Please post it. I have subscribed to this thread.

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2010, 09:54 PM   #8
Rob.Franklin

I know you did a fair amount of work on choosing your targets...but it still is a cold list. They did not in any way raise their hand and say I want to advertise in your magazine.

Most importantly, you don't even know if these businesses do magazine ads.

It's a lot easier to get a business who already advertises in your medium to advertise with you.

So first off lets find businesses who are already having success with magazine advertising.

Go out and get subscriptions of all your competing magazines...the closer in content the better.

Call up their advertisers and say: I saw your add in XYZ magazine and I am glad it is working for you. My local magazine is hitting the same demographics and with my introductory offer can save you a lot of money.

Then do a three step sequential post card mailer to them explaining the benefits to advertising with you.

Rob.Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 04:47 PM   #9
danielkanuck

I've had a zero response from my mailings before. But my downfall was that i rented a list from this guy (he wasn't even a legit list broker), and i didn't get niche specific with the list at all.

I mailed out 2,000 mail pieces only to find myself being bombared by a large number of returned mail, and undeliverables.

I didn't know about the SRDS back then, but i wish i did.

Old 17th May 2011, 02:47 AM   #10
hdm
VIP Contributor

Sorry to hear that, Daniel. I trust you've had better response rates since then.