Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th October 2010, 06:01 PM   #1
bizop

Cool Should I Start An SEO Business

I have been presented with an opportunity to start an SEO business for a small fee!

The provide me with all the back end resources similar to a franchise in fact they have a proprietary software that syndicates my clients across the web and guarantees them 1st page placement. they have so many more resources available to many

what do you guys think

Mike

bizop is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 15th October 2010, 07:04 AM   #2
Robert
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizop View Post
...they have a proprietary software that syndicates my clients across the web and guarantees them 1st page placement.
SCAM... don't waste your money or time with whomever is promising this. In their webmaster center Google explicitly states:
"No one can guarantee a #1 ranking on Google."

"While SEOs can provide clients with valuable services, some unethical SEOs have given the industry a black eye through their overly aggressive marketing efforts and their attempts to manipulate search engine results... Practices that violate our guidelines may result in ... the removal of your site from our index."
You can read that statement and more directly from Google in their guidelines.

I'd also suggest reading this thread:

Why Is Everyone An SEO?

So, should you start an SEO business? Absolutely... if you are willing to put in a ton of hard work and invest a great deal of time educating yourself first.

Stay away from the con artists you mentioned or you and your clients will get burned.

Old 15th October 2010, 10:02 AM   #3
lyrafire

Robert--I was going to recommend the same thread, but you beat me to it.

Bizop--look for my post in which I gave everyone a link to a good article on SEO operations. When you read it, read the comments too; they are also informative. Unfortunately, the world is full of SEO shills who aren't really SEOs.

I'm glad you came here to ask about it before yopu spent money. Can you become an SEO? Sure. Talk to someone like Stoney deGuyter (if he's willing) to figure out where to get real training.

lyrafire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2010, 10:12 AM   #4
DavidHawke

Send a message via Skype™ to DavidHawke
Default SEO Scams

Unfortunately there are tons of scams out there in the SEO community, it sounds like they've decided to take another route and target franchising.

This is an overly simplified article about SEO, but it's basic message is solid.

{What You Don't Know About SEO}

Old 15th October 2010, 04:56 PM   #5
bizop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
SCAM... don't waste your money or time with whomever is promising this. In their webmaster center Google explicitly states:
"No one can guarantee a #1 ranking on Google."

"While SEOs can provide clients with valuable services, some unethical SEOs have given the industry a black eye through their overly aggressive marketing efforts and their attempts to manipulate search engine results... Practices that violate our guidelines may result in ... the removal of your site from our index."
You can read that statement and more directly from Google in their guidelines.

I'd also suggest reading this thread:

Why Is Everyone An SEO?

So, should you start an SEO business? Absolutely... if you are willing to put in a ton of hard work and invest a great deal of time educating yourself first.

Stay away from the con artists you mentioned or you and your clients will get burned.
Ok I have read the link to Google info,,,,so what kind of business would you suggest if not an SEO business? I really want to get into a business and need some feed back....

Thanks

Mike

Old 15th October 2010, 05:16 PM   #6
bizop

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrafire View Post
Robert--I was going to recommend the same thread, but you beat me to it.

Bizop--look for my post in which I gave everyone a link to a good article on SEO operations. When you read it, read the comments too; they are also informative. Unfortunately, the world is full of SEO shills who aren't really SEOs.

I'm glad you came here to ask about it before yopu spent money. Can you become an SEO? Sure. Talk to someone like Stoney deGuyter (if he's willing) to figure out where to get real training.
Thank for the info I will try to contact him....

Old 27th October 2010, 08:04 AM   #7
chadmac

I know of a man who claims he "specializes" in SEO to people. He actually owns a van shuttle service. Has admitted to me he's never done it before

chadmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 12:17 AM   #8
Kalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizop View Post
Ok I have read the link to Google info,,,,so what kind of business would you suggest if not an SEO business? I really want to get into a business and need some feed back....

Thanks

Mike
What do you do now? If you aren't interested in using your current (or past job) as a business idea you can do something completely unrelated that uses skills you mastered. Of course any other skills you never got to put into practice are fair game too.

Kalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 09:42 AM   #9
lyrafire

If you want to work strictly online, start by searching for a viable keyword niche. (I use Market Samurai when I need to do keyword research, but you can get started for free with Google's Keyword tracker.) Affiliate marketing rather than selling a product that you have to buy may be a good bet.

Here's a link to Stoney deGuyter's keyword research paper. There are 6 parts. This link is to part 1.

http://www.searchengineguide.com/sto...d-research.php

If you want to do something more complex (even if you don't know what), contact SCORE or your local Small Business development Center for free help:

http://www.sba.gov/aboutsba/sbaprogr...C_LOCATOR.html

lyrafire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 06:48 PM   #10
Kalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrafire View Post
If you want to work strictly online, start by searching for a viable keyword niche. (I use Market Samurai when I need to do keyword research, but you can get started for free with Google's Keyword tracker.) Affiliate marketing rather than selling a product that you have to buy may be a good bet.

Here's a link to Stoney deGuyter's keyword research paper. There are 6 parts. This link is to part 1.

http://www.searchengineguide.com/sto...d-research.php

If you want to do something more complex (even if you don't know what), contact SCORE or your local Small Business development Center for free help:

http://www.sba.gov/aboutsba/sbaprogr...C_LOCATOR.html
Affiliate systems are great but they have a lot of scams too. Some require you to pay a fee to enroll which is always a line of red flags raising at once. A legitimate company wants to encourage people to sell their products and won't discourage entrepreneurs from selling for them with this kind of thing.

Also, if you sell a shady product you can get a bad reputation in the online world or be removed from Google's listing. This is obviously not where you want to end up. I met a guy online who was promoting the Google Money Kit (a horrible scam) and although I wasn't foolish enough to buy it I never trusted him again.

Look into what you are selling and see if there is an opportunity there. Don't just start listing whatever looks good to you.

Kalen is offline   Reply With Quote