Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th September 2010, 09:33 PM   #1
Nancy11

Default Page Rank - Internal And External Links

We are in the process of redesigning our site and have some questions.

1) External links, every page will have links to our Facebook, twitter, youtube, addthis pages, does this sap our page rank?, will it be a problem? is there anything we should do?

2) Internal pages, every page has a link to our contact, privacy , terms etc. These are obviously important pages to have on the site but I don't want google to think they are my most important pages, in the past I've used rel="nofollow", should I? what should I do?

Thanks

Nancy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 27th September 2010, 10:07 PM   #2
RyanTC

Hi Nancy, I've used the no follow tag before...I'm not sure if it really does anything, but regardless, the tag exists and I use it for pages I don't care about as much.

I don't see any issues with having your social media links on every page...I don't see it affecting your SEO and it will give your social media accounts more exposure which is a good thing.

I think as long as you execute link building campaigns for your important pages, you'll be OK. The pages with the most quality links will dominate (assuming your optimizing for the right keywords of course).

Ryan

Old 28th September 2010, 12:20 AM   #3
jaairey
VIP Contributor

Starting with 2) Every page should link to privacy, disclaimers or whatever is relevant for your site. This is both good business practice and for search engines. Do NOT make them nofollow. These pages are important and should always be follow. Contact is up to you, either way.

1) Abundant social media links are becoming standard. Just make sure that all your social media is frequently linking back to your site -so it looks like one entity.

jaairey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2010, 02:11 PM   #4
bee

Default external links from web site

... don't forget to set external links to open in another tab or window.

bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 04:32 AM   #5
William Lan

Default Links

Yes the external links opens in new tab or window is very important.

and ya having internal linking is good it do not create any problem, and i suggest you to remove the nofollow tag.

William Lan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2010, 04:47 PM   #6
Candice Robins

The question of no-following social media links is a tough one. I'd say no-follow them on important pages like the home page, and then make sure that your social media pages do-follow link to your home page. The important thing is that Google sees that your social pages are associated with your home page, not that every page links. This means I also disagree with jaairey... provided you have a sitemap and your contact us and privacy policy pages are being visited by the googlebot every once and a while, i'd say no-follow these links, at least from the home page. The general rule is no-follow any link leading from an important page to an unimportant page. Contact and privacy pages are important, but not as important as your home page.

Old 9th December 2010, 03:24 AM   #7
hannah1

Most internal linking does very little to improve the visitor experience and many links that help the visitor learn and understand better are out-of-sync with the company’s business and site objectives.

hannah1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 10:43 AM   #8
Firstwebsearch

Most social media sites really are seen as so important to Google that no-follow is not really factored in. In fact, Google changed their no follow some time ago and its been verified that some juice leaks through a no follow.

As to linking from your page to social media sites. I would no follow them all except where I am actually linking to say my business page on Facebook. That is because I would like that page to rank for my business name and rank high.

Internal links to contact us, tos, etc., should always be no followed.

Firstwebsearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 09:03 PM   #9
lilybiz

Thank you for sharing these information.

Lily

lilybiz is offline   Reply With Quote