Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Search Engine Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th September 2010, 03:16 PM   #1
Jerryc-pa

Default My Url Is Too Long

I would like to use the rear windshields of customers cars to advertise my site but the url KeystoneAutoElectrical is too long. I want a way to track the results of this idea and thought that if I bought a smaller name like FixWires this would let me track and be small enough to read clearly, but my web guy says this would be a doorway page and would affect my serps. So here I am not knowing enough about how to go about this. Can anyone help?
Thanks
Jerry

Jerryc-pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 26th September 2010, 05:20 PM   #2
Logan
Administrator

as an example, this forum uses www.getbizhelp.com with a redirect for similar reasons. no issues here, as a doorway page, if it redirects to your primary domain.

Old 26th September 2010, 07:14 PM   #3
Tiggerito

I would use that smaller URL and have it display a specific page that targets customers from the car adverts. Not just your normal home page.

It would effectively be a single page website that then links to your main website.

It won't effect the SERPS on your main website.

Make sure it does not duplicate your main website though. Either have it directly redirect to a page on the main website or ensure it is only one page with all the links to the main website. This would avoid possible duplication/canonical issues.

Old 27th September 2010, 09:36 AM   #4
Logan
Administrator

Quote:
It would effectively be a single page website that then links to your main website.

It won't effect the SERPS on your main website.
To be clear, that would be pretty much the description of a doorway site to google. While I'll agree with you that based on their algorithm it likely would not impact your main website, there is nothing to say that a hand check by google would pass.

I'd stay away from doorway pages and sites as his webmaster initially advised. See google's terms -

Quote:
deceive users by directing them to sites other than the ones they selected
It's a slippery slope when it comes to google. I'd stay away from anything that leaves that door open to them.

Just redirect, its accepted and accomplishes the end goal.

Old 27th September 2010, 09:22 PM   #5
RyanTC

Yes, just get a smaller URL and set up a redirect. I THINK you might be able to use a service to set up the redirect so it tracks the number of visits you get as a result of this car promotion.

Ryan

Old 27th September 2010, 09:25 PM   #6
Jerryc-pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
as an example, this forum uses www.getbizhelp.com with a redirect for similar reasons. no issues here, as a doorway page, if it redirects to your primary domain.
How do you track the redirected url? I would expect my web guy would know but sometimes his explanations and/or questions confuse me more than my usual state of confusion. Please tell me he'll know how to do this, and that I have nothing more to concern myself with.
Jerry

P.S. I once said I believe my conversions were strong, but I wasn't sure how to measure them. You said your favorite way was by counting the dollar bills. I'm finding I like that way too!

Old 27th September 2010, 09:27 PM   #7
Jerryc-pa

Ryan,
Thanks for your input, I think you replied while I was typing my last post.
Jerry

Old 28th September 2010, 10:18 AM   #8
Tiggerito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
To be clear, that would be pretty much the description of a doorway site to google. While I'll agree with you that based on their algorithm it likely would not impact your main website, there is nothing to say that a hand check by google would pass.

I'd stay away from doorway pages and sites as his webmaster initially advised. See google's terms -

It's a slippery slope when it comes to google. I'd stay away from anything that leaves that door open to them.

Just redirect, its accepted and accomplishes the end goal.
I just checked the wiki definition for doorway page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doorway_page

What I suggested is not that and does not "deceive users by directing them to sites other than the ones they selected".

cloaking and refresh redirects is deceptive, but that is nothing to do with having a single page website that focuses on a specific subject and then links your main website.

This would also make it easy to track your campaign as the mini website will be the referrer in your statistics.

If you prefer to use a redirect, then make it a 301 redirect.

Old 28th September 2010, 05:16 PM   #9
jaairey
VIP Contributor

Why would you want to send them to another page and then send them to your website? You lose people with every click they make.

My suggestion do a redirect and under the Keystone Graphic at the top of the page insert a line that says fixwires.com, or something with fixwires in it. If this is immediately obvious then somebody who comes in to the site via fixwires is not going to think there has been some sneaky switcheroo. Those coming into the site via the Keystone URL will think it some form of branding and ignore it.

Looking a the Wikipedia link on doorway pages I think the suggestion of a single web page could meet the criteria of Content Rich Doorways

Quote:
More sophisticated doorway pages, called Content Rich Doorways, are designed to gain high placement in search results without using redirection. They incorporate at least a minimum amount of design and navigation similar to the rest of the site to provide a more human-friendly and natural appearance. Visitors are offered standard links as calls to action.

jaairey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 03:53 AM   #10
Tiggerito

I'd agree that my suggestion does equate to their description of "Content Rich Doorways". (There's an interesting comment on it in the discussions tab).

I'd say the key thing they are talking about in the wiki is in designing pages to rank well with search engines. This is not the objective here.

The OP wants to use a short domain for his off-line marketing. I think having that short domain result in a page focused on off-line customers would be a good idea. It would more than likely reduce the number of click, not increase them.

If having that short domain redirect to a page within the main website means its not a "doorway page" and therefore not bad in the eyes of search engines, then do that. I don't see the difference.

I think a quality page, no mater what domain it is placed in, is OK with the search engines. I believe a redirect is less friendly than a page directly showing its content. The visitors see a rapid domain change and Google will leak some link juice.

In this context, we don't really care if search engines even know the page exists, because it's for off-line people who directly type in the address. But there's no harm if they do.

I do like your idea of referring to the short domain from the main website.