Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Search Engine Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th September 2010, 07:33 PM   #1
BarefootShannon

Default Go Daddy Websites Bldg And Optimization

Has anyone tried or heard of anyone using go-daddy's website building services and optimization. If so can you offer any feedback as to how good or effective their services are. Money is tight so I would like to avoid the high cost of a website building company (qoutes of $1,000 - $2,000) I want to be careful though not to be penny wise and pound foolish. Any help would be so appreciated. Thank you, Shannon

BarefootShannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 18th September 2010, 07:37 PM   #2
BusinessZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootShannon View Post
Has anyone tried or heard of anyone using go-daddy's website building services and optimization. If so can you offer any feedback as to how good or effective their services are. Money is tight so I would like to avoid the high cost of a website building company (qoutes of $1,000 - $2,000) I want to be careful though not to be penny wise and pound foolish. Any help would be so appreciated. Thank you, Shannon
I have not tried godaddy, but I would recommend you go with a much simpler solution. I personally use Wordpress (which is free) as my website platform (as do 26 million other people).

I host Wordpress on an inexpensive paid hosting service which costs $4-16/month depending on the options you choose (I have an affiliate link to my host on my site if you want to give me some love). However there are lots of other web hosts that offer similar packages at similar costs. I like a paid service as it offers me the flexibility to own my site and upgrade or move it anytime I want.

Installing wordpress from one of these hosts is not hard - many hosts include it with their package or support - though you could hire someone to install wordpress for you cheaply if you are really not technically up to it.

Once you have wordpress installed, you can pick your own theme for your website from within the program and then start posting content. There are tons of tutorials online on how to use wordpress and they are free. Adding a new post is no more difficult than typing in a word processor. You can download free plugins to SEO-optimize Wordpress as well.

Cheers,
Brad

BusinessZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2010, 09:45 PM   #3
sequoia payroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootShannon View Post
Go daddy is tough to use. I have not been impressed. For hosting a site, I like Hostmonster.com. They have great prices, and awesome customer service.

However, their website platform is weak at best. As mentioned, Wordpress is used by millions of people, and I hear good things. I have never used it though, so I have no opinion about it.

There are also some software programs out there that are pretty easy to use. I have used Webplus X4, from Serif, and I have used a program called sitespinner. Sitespinner was easier to use, but Webplus will give you a better site. I used Sitespinner to create the site I have now, and it was thrown together in about a day, just so I could get something on the web. I am building a much nicer site as we speak from webplus.

Webplus was around 70.00. Sitespinner was about 50.00.

Old 22nd September 2010, 11:11 AM   #4
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Has anyone tried or heard of anyone using go-daddy's website building services and optimization.
Yes, I have. I used their 'Optimization' program several years ago. I can't remember exactly what they called it, but I used it for a new website in 2004. Now... having said that, I didn't have the experience then that I do now.

It really depends on how confident you are on your current skills. Yes, it provided me a lot of the basics. However, once I went through it the first time, I simply applied all the information to other sites.

Most of it has to do with off page issues. Now, if you're going to use a CMS or Wordpress, most of what the GoDaddy program tells you do may not be possible. Once again... its something I did several years ago and I was writing the HTML pages myself. So for that reason, it was helpful.

I know a lot of people out there have comments about GoDaddy. We use them for ALL of our domain registrations and find their telephone support to be helpful. Yes, be prepared to wait on hold... but they are pretty good.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 11:43 AM   #5
BarefootShannon

Default Thanks for your reply

I was concerned that I may not be happy with how they optimze and if I wanted to go with another company I would have to start by building a new website all over again. It seems that this is usual regardless who you use. Thankd again, Shannon

Old 22nd September 2010, 02:22 PM   #6
SmallBizShift

I'd highly recommend using Wordpress.

Wordpress.com itself or Page.ly are the easiest ways to host a Wordpress site.

There's also an article at the top of my site right now regarding creating a template-based Wordpress site, so feel free to check that out.

Old 22nd September 2010, 02:53 PM   #7
BarefootShannon

Default thanks for all the great feedback

The information that you all are offering has been really helpful, I so appreciate your taking the time to help me out. Shannon

Old 26th September 2010, 10:55 AM   #8
Social-Media

GoDaddy as a hosting company is great. Their customer service and tech support used to suck back in the day, but they have really beefed it up the last 5 years.

I have yet to call with a problem or question and not get the answer I needed. My site is always up and the response times are great.

If you have an old account, be sure you're running on their "grid" hosting. They used to place your site on a single server, and if that server was running slowly, your site ran slowly. Now with grid hosting, they place your site on multiple servers and use load balancing to send new page requests to the server that is least busy.

I think all new accounts are setup with "grid" hosting. Unfortunately old customers were never told about the "grid" hosting option so that they could convert over and get performance gains. You have to know to ask. And the "grid" and "non-grid" hosting solutions are exactly the same, so you're stupid not to upgrade to grid if you're an old customer.

As far as their website builder and SEO options, it's going to be very limited. As other's have suggested there are tons of other options out there that if you're even the slightest bit technical you can do yourself... like WordPress.

If you go with WordPress then I'd consider Thesis from diythemes.com/thesis as your theme (site design). It's a premium theme which means you have to pay for it but it's about $85 for one site or $165 for a license that allows you to use it on as many domains as you want as long as you own the domain. That includes lifetime support and free upgrades forever. I love it.

Old 26th September 2010, 12:44 PM   #9
BarefootShannon

Default Thank you SO much

This information is really very helpful. I have also been offered a link that allows you to describe the needs and desired effects that you want on your website and allow designers to bid on the work. Thanks again for your email!! Shannon

Old 3rd November 2010, 10:30 PM   #10
GoingLocal

Thanks SmallBizShift - I didn't know about Page.ly
Thanks Social-Media - I didn't know Godaddy responded to their feedback.

I been told by nearly everyone to buy domains from Godaddy.com or namescheap.com) the later offers free whois protection for any one domain on a new account. I use both without an issue and find random coupons online for further discounts on new domains.

then for hosting use hostgator.com or bluehost.com. I really love hostgator.com and their live chat guys are bright and quick. The have about 4500 templates with a website builder that works well, but only on the primary domain on an account. I personally don't have any experience with bluehost though, and GoDaddy may have caught up again.

Wordpress is awesome to use... so many reason such as SEO'd out of the box, 1000's of free widgets to do nearly anything with drag and drop ease, free to inexpensive themes, easier to find inexpensive outsourcing... etc. etc.
All cPanel hosts should have fantastico allowing for a 1 click install with easy admin.

GoingLocal is offline   Reply With Quote