Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Social Media
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th August 2010, 07:01 AM   #1
trnz

Default Help Increase 'friends List' On Facebook?

Because I am starting up a local business I need to increase the number of my friends on Facebook. Anybody any advice on how to do this? I have a Profile page at present. Should I add another one? Group page, Business page, Fan page or some other? It seems they have
different rules and I was wondering which would be the best?

trnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 15th August 2010, 03:46 PM   #2
mktgbiz

I started a business page for the Javalina Pen. I also have my profile page.

I don't think it would hurt your efforts to start a business page and ask for friends, family and clients to "friend" that page.

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 11:12 PM   #3
jaairey
VIP Contributor

You need to add a fan page - which is your business page.

As Mktbiz succinctly put it get everybody you know to like it, post on the wall etc. (I have found that many people are a bit dense when it comes to biz and facebook so tell them exactly how to help.)

You can make a welcome page (using static FBML) which you can make look like your website and make be the "front page" for new visitors. The new standard, which I think starts this coming week, is 520 px wide which means that your website css is next to useless.

If you have no clue what the second paragraph of this post is talking about I highly recommend you check out HyperArts. They have some easy to understand tutorials (plus, of course, some packages to do it for you).

jaairey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 03:46 AM   #4
jacobbon

Default Re : Help Increase 'friends List' On Facebook?

Well you just have to put a social network toolbar on your webpage & it will do it for you not just for facebook but for all other social networks as well

jacobbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 06:57 PM   #5
mibec3

Smile Re : Help Increase 'friends List' On Facebook?

I would suggest a Facebook business or fan page. Go to the facebook home page and at the bottom right hand side click on 'create a page'. Follow the instructions from there. Once you have your page set up, create a post inviting all your friends from your personal page to visit your business page and instruct them to click the 'like' button at the top of the page. Their friends will then see that they like your page, and those that are interested will visit your page. If they like it, they will click on the 'like' button and the news will spread.

Hope this helps

mibec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 12:29 AM   #6
davidbkeegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibec3 View Post
I would suggest a Facebook business or fan page. Go to the facebook home page and at the bottom right hand side click on 'create a page'. Follow the instructions from there. Once you have your page set up, create a post inviting all your friends from your personal page to visit your business page and instruct them to click the 'like' button at the top of the page. Their friends will then see that they like your page, and those that are interested will visit your page. If they like it, they will click on the 'like' button and the news will spread.

Hope this helps
I agree, also you may want to advertise that you have a facebook page, on flyers, banners, web ads, etc. Your customers are more likely to add you if they see this.

davidbkeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2010, 11:09 AM   #7
Kyles0

Definitely use a fan page. Don't worry about building your personal profile. If you are a brick and mortar business you should look into foursquare as well. A good promotion for Foursquare is to advertise that you give the "mayor" free sodas or something. Put signs up advertising that you are on facebook and foursquare and hold promotions.

Kyles0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 05:55 AM   #8
SanWay
VIP Contributor

You can start everything and make it interesting and catching for the other people. Then you are for sure will have more friends.

SanWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 01:46 AM   #9
Entreprenette

Hi trnz

My name is Jo Barnes and after recently researching how to get a fan page built and promoted, I was bowled over by the extortionate prices people are charging. I presume due to the air of 'mystery' still hanging over fan pages.

So over the last few weeks I have been using and testing facebook and fan pages to what works and what doesn't and decided to record some FREE training videos on, Creating a Fan Page, Adding a List Building Landing Page including Video and Graphics, Promoting the Page and eventually Monetizing it. I also built a template to automate the creation of the landing page to get over the FBML coding complications for all us normal non-techie types!!

I'm in the middle of this series, and have released Videos 1 & 2, Video 3 should be available by the end of this week. I'm also holding a FREE webinar about the same tonight!

Anyway, if you'd like to have a look, it's all Free, no sales pitches or catches - (I'm just trying to build a reputation), then please go over to my fan page and check them out.

Regards

Jo

Entreprenette is offline   Reply With Quote