Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Online Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th August 2010, 05:16 PM   #1
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Exclamation How To Get Free Publicity For Your Small Business

Believe it or not, you can get free publicity for your small business. How? Simply pick up the telephone, and call your local media (newspapers, radio, tv), and tell them all about your small business. If they think your business sounds interesting and newsworthy, they'll come out and interview you, and just like that...voila, free publicity!

You may not be aware of it, but countless numbers of small businesses are taking advantage of free publicity every single day. They've discovered...Continue reading How to Get Free Publicity For Your Small Business.

David Jackson

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 13th August 2010, 06:01 PM   #2
kevin44

sounds interesting

Old 16th August 2010, 04:25 PM   #3
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin44 View Post
sounds interesting
Did you read the article?

David Jackson

Old 16th August 2010, 05:39 PM   #4
AngelBiz
VIP Contributor

David

Interesting article. Getting free publicity is so "easy" and yet not too many business owners know about it or take advantage of it. Marketing is misunderstood by many small business owners. They think of it as spending money on advertising with newspaper, radio, etc.

I mentioned that good marketing doesn't cost anything in this blog post I wrote a while ago - http://www.angelbusinessadvisors.com...siness-owners/ It also talks about some other misconceptions on marketing held by small business owners.

AngelBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 08:33 AM   #5
cirklagirl

Smile Great Article

I read your article, David. Good stuff.

I love this. More people should go back to the basics and do some one on one PR. I love that you mention persistence too. Any good marketing needs to not just be done once, but continuously. They say it takes seven times of someone seeing something before they really see it. Not surprising!

cirklagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 09:42 AM   #6
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirklagirl View Post
I read your article, David. Good stuff.

I love this. More people should go back to the basics and do some one on one PR. I love that you mention persistence too. Any good marketing needs to not just be done once, but continuously. They say it takes seven times of someone seeing something before they really see it. Not surprising!
Thank you, cirklagirl. I appreciate you taking the time to read my article. And you're absolute right. On average, consumers have to see an advertising message a minimum of seven times, before they act on it.

David Jackson

Old 13th October 2010, 01:15 AM   #7
nevster

Nice article David. It is true how many small businesses don't think out of the box like you have recommended.

Thanks for the info.

nevster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 08:55 AM   #8
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevster View Post
Nice article David. It is true how many small businesses don't think out of the box like you have recommended.

Thanks for the info.
Thank you for taking the time to read it.

David Jackson

Old 14th October 2010, 05:06 AM   #9
cynthialeas

Send a message via Yahoo to cynthialeas
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jackson View Post
Believe it or not, you can get free publicity for your small business. How? Simply pick up the telephone, and call your local media (newspapers, radio, tv), and tell them all about your small business. If they think your business sounds interesting and newsworthy, they'll come out and interview you, and just like that...voila, free publicity!
If you do this majority of the media number you called will either hang the phone or simply won't be interested. I think visiting them personally is a much better alternative than calling them.

cynthialeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 12:33 PM   #10
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthialeas View Post
If you do this majority of the media number you called will either hang the phone or simply won't be interested. I think visiting them personally is a much better alternative than calling them.
Your local media receives the majority of its tips and leads via the telephone. They are not going to hang up on a potential subscriber, viewer, or listener. It ain't gonna happen. Unless, of course, you're rude or obnoxious to the reporter. Otherwise, if you call, they will listen to what you have to say!

David Jackson

Last edited by David Jackson; 14th October 2010 at 12:37 PM.
David Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote