Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th August 2010, 05:22 PM   #1
maguy12

Default Have A Business Idea But Need Help

I'm an interior designer , I'm trying to open an home staging business I have a name it's not register yet I'm very passionate about the business but I just don't kown where to start , and I don't know of anybody who own an staging business so i'm lost .Can anybody give me some ideas on how to start a home business i'll really appreciate it

maguy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 12th August 2010, 07:35 PM   #2
Logan
Administrator

Well, it depends where you are located. Are you located in the United States?

Old 12th August 2010, 09:26 PM   #3
maguy12

yes I'm in florida orlando

Old 12th August 2010, 10:27 PM   #4
Logan
Administrator

Good answer. I'm from florida and a bit familiar

You need to register your business with the state

http://sunbiz.org/startbus.html

You may also need to register locally with your county and/or city. Check with your local government.

If you need help outside of govt resources, checkout your SBA. You can find help here http://www.sba.gov/smallbusinessplanner/index.html

Old 13th August 2010, 05:04 PM   #5
maguy12

thanks for the links I'll definitely will register the name , I'm guessing finding how much it will cost to star the business will be next but how do you think that I can find how much such business will cost I did some research online some say about a $1000, other say it will not cost me anything and what's the best way to advertise?

Old 15th August 2010, 06:11 PM   #6
schierling

Send a message via Skype™ to schierling
Default Advertising your Home Staging Business

Hi, I am a business coach and I help people figure this stuff out, so here are a few ideas for you to get you moving forward.

If you have not set up your web site and would like an inexpensive option try, www.webstarts.com. I use them and have been very pleased with the low cost and the user friendly interface. If you want someone to do it for you, check out www.elance.com and put the job out for bid, you can get a pretty low cost and attractive web site for as little as $50.

Advertising your business means getting in front of the people who need your service, with would be people trying to sell a house, so I would try and make friends with some Real Estate agents who could recommend your service. If you also do professional organizing you may also want to advertise those services. (people need decluttering when moving). It has been my experience that male agents are more apt to recommend you since sometimes female agents like to do this themselves.

I would join a chamber, find some networking groups in your area and get involved. Also if there is a real estate association where realtors meet, see if you can give them some information or get involved in their events.

Don't waste money on newspaper advertising, but perhaps get a list of real estate agents and send out a post card to them. Offer them a referral fee for putting you in front of clients.

Hope that helps.

schierling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 08:02 PM   #7
AngelBiz
VIP Contributor

See if there is a SCORE organization nearby. It's a volunteer organization where you can get advice from retired executives and small business owners. They can provide pointers to get you started.

AngelBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 12:30 PM   #8
maguy12

Thanks so much schierling and angelbiz for the advice I'm going to checkout the sites . One thing I don't have anywork to display yet , my portfolio is made out of work that I did from school ,do you think I should still set up a webste without any examples of my work?

Old 16th August 2010, 08:44 PM   #9
AngelBiz
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maguy12 View Post
Thanks so much schierling and angelbiz for the advice I'm going to checkout the sites . One thing I don't have anywork to display yet , my portfolio is made out of work that I did from school ,do you think I should still set up a webste without any examples of my work?
I suggest you include at least some examples on the web site even if they are from school as long as you think they are representative of the quality of your work. You can set up a web site without them initially; but look into including them soon. Without examples the site visitor may not be able to understand the quality of your work.

AngelBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2010, 06:47 PM   #10
maguy12

thanks so much for the advice i'm working and the web site and trying to get the name register I really appreciate all the helps