Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th July 2010, 01:04 PM   #1
earthlovers

Default Unranked

I'm new and I've searched for 'unranked' but there doesn't seem to be any info yet.

My new site has nearly everything 'unranked' by the Goog page rank, thus far. Will having such links on my template leak age rank to unranked pages where it is wasted? Is it better to nofollow these urls until they gain rank?

thanks

earthlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 27th July 2010, 02:19 PM   #2
SmallBizShift

Don't bother nofollowing internal links - Google says it's useless, and even if it does something, you have bigger problems if nothing is ranking.

Google usually picks up at least your homepage very quickly, so if it's been more than a few days and that's not showing, you might want to look at your robots.txt and make sure you're not stopping Google from viewing the site (or if using Wordpress, make sure the site is set to be viewable to search engines).

A second step is to visit Google Webmaster Tools. You can submit a sitemap there, and there are tools to help diagnose why your site is not being crawled.

Finally, if you do have some bits indexed, work on getting a few decent links to your site so Google will crawl/index more of it.

Also, if you post the site here we could be more helpful. There are other issues which might be causing problems, but I don't want to go into that much detail for a simple post.

Old 28th July 2010, 04:48 AM   #3
earthlovers

I've setup webmaster tools. indexing is progressing okay, but PR=unranked.

I've made my own software (very amateurish!) for a site template, but have just discovered several 'blogging without database' services - which would save me a lot of unnecessary expense.

I'll ad a link once i qualify!

Old 29th July 2010, 10:25 AM   #4
TravisPetelle

Your PR will be unranked for a long time. They only change that once a quarter. PR is starting to dwindle as a factor in Googles algorithm as well. It's still playing a part right now but that's just for the backlinks that you get back to your site. I have plenty of PR 0 sites that are ranked #1 for the competitive terms.

You need 3 things to get good rankings: Site optimized for your keywords, backlinks back to your site, and some daily activity. When you have all three you will jump up in rankings very quickly.

TravisPetelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2010, 08:02 AM   #5
earthlovers

thanks for the info Travis. I'm relieved PR doesn't matter, cos it was giving me a headache!

Old 30th July 2010, 01:28 PM   #6
davidbkeegan

I know this probably isn't the most reliable source out there, but I read the article about page rank on wikipedia, and it was very informative.

It had a link to the Google support forum saying not to stress out about it:
http://www.google.com/support/forum/...e26e9e48&hl=en

I trust that link a lot more than i do wikipedia

davidbkeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2010, 07:28 AM   #7
Social-Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlovers View Post
I've setup webmaster tools. indexing is progressing okay, but PR=unranked.

I've made my own software (very amateurish!) for a site template, but have just discovered several 'blogging without database' services - which would save me a lot of unnecessary expense.

I'll ad a link once i qualify!
A Google Toolbar PR of unranked simply means that the last time Google updated the Toolbar PR (which is typically every few months) that your page was not indexed. The Google PageRank that you see in your toolbar is ALWAYS out of date, even on the very day an update is published. It's also NOT the PR that Google uses in their ranking algorithm. There is a separate "actual" PR is updated constantly, but you never see its value. It is this "actual" PR that is used for ranking purposes.

Just continue to build links to your home page AND inner pages. Your Toolbar PR will take care of itself.

Old 7th August 2010, 02:56 PM   #8
BC-Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social-Media View Post
A Google Toolbar PR of unranked simply means that the last time Google updated the Toolbar PR (which is typically every few months) that your page was not indexed. The Google PageRank that you see in your toolbar is ALWAYS out of date, even on the very day an update is published. It's also NOT the PR that Google uses in their ranking algorithm. There is a separate "actual" PR is updated constantly, but you never see its value. It is this "actual" PR that is used for ranking purposes.

Just continue to build links to your home page AND inner pages. Your Toolbar PR will take care of itself.
What he said. Just base your results on the results themselves via rankings and referral traffic from the search engines, the PR is practically useless - and is only a very minuscule guideline to see how you're doing over time (and by time I mean months to years).

Old 7th August 2010, 04:40 PM   #9
Rick41

Just build your website for your customers and make sure each page is optizimed for the search engines (including your meta tags) and everything will work out.

Google changes how they rank sites all the time so just work on building pages instead of wasting time looking at stats.

Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 06:39 PM   #10
jaairey
VIP Contributor

My understanding is that nofollow (except for things that you really do not want the bot to follow such as affiliate links) is a bad idea for ranking. Internal links can help make your site look coherent and user friendly and useful. Lots of orphan pages do not help a site.

Is this perception correct?

jaairey is offline   Reply With Quote