Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Online Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd July 2010, 02:31 PM   #1
KevinW
VIP Contributor

Default Web Analytics

I was curious as to what percentage of folks are currently using Google Analytics on their websites. Seems like most stats indicate that there's about 50% of folks that use it, but I was wondering if that percentage is higher for small business, since GA is free.

Anyone know what percentage of small businesses use it?

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 23rd July 2010, 08:57 PM   #2
sequoia payroll

We use it. I look at it all the time. I want to see who is visiting what and what I can do to convert more browsers. It is very valuable to me...

Old 24th July 2010, 09:32 AM   #3
KevinW
VIP Contributor

Thanks Sequoia. Are you using Google Webmaster tools too? Just wrote about some key information available there on my blog today.

As a side note, being from Rochester, which is Paychex HQ, we have a special love for the industry you are in

Do you have to sell against them a lot there?

Old 24th July 2010, 07:31 PM   #4
SEOGOOROO

google analytics is pretty much the standard....and it's free. i use it several times a day

SEOGOOROO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2010, 08:57 PM   #5
sequoia payroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
Thanks Sequoia. Are you using Google Webmaster tools too? Just wrote about some key information available there on my blog today.

As a side note, being from Rochester, which is Paychex HQ, we have a special love for the industry you are in

Do you have to sell against them a lot there?
I use some of the webmaster tools, I like to see how many links google is counting and what pages are indexed with them. However, I like the backlink tool better from Yahoo. It shows more of the links, whereas google seems to pick and choose what links it will show you...

We are nationwide as well so we sell against paychex pretty often, I guess. We have numerous customers who have used them in the past, but Paychex has so many clients, I am sure they don't even know about us...

We are MUCH smaller than they are, but we just cracked page one of google for "payroll services" and "payroll solutions", so maybe they have taken note, but honestly, I doubt it. They were actually an inspiration for us, and they continue to set the standard in the industry.

Old 26th July 2010, 12:29 PM   #6
KevinW
VIP Contributor

Paychex has hired web analysts this year. I know that for a fact. So, if you're on Page 1 for those 2 terms, they know about you

Old 26th July 2010, 05:28 PM   #7
Logan
Administrator

I think of those that use analytics, the percentage could be higher than 50%. What other stats program do you here others using frequently? silence.

But, I think very few small businesses use any stats or tracking so the actual percentage of small businesses who use Google Analytics is relatively small compared to the total number of small businesses with websites.

How to check? View source code and ctrl+f

Old 26th July 2010, 06:05 PM   #8
KevinW
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I think of those that use analytics, the percentage could be higher than 50%. What other stats program do you here others using frequently? silence.

But, I think very few small businesses use any stats or tracking so the actual percentage of small businesses who use Google Analytics is relatively small compared to the total number of small businesses with websites.

How to check? View source code and ctrl+f
Yeah. I actually have a plug in for Chrome (and Firefox) that detects GA. I should do a random sample of 100 websites and report back. Question is, how to get a "random" sample of 100 small business websites.

Old 26th July 2010, 07:13 PM   #9
Logan
Administrator

Good question. I don't know, but my initial thoughts are

1. You need to consider if 100 is enough for a sample. The margin of error will be lower as the sample size gets larger.

2. Some websites businesses run stats server side. I don't think you can detect that. I don't know if that is a factor, but something that you and those interpreting your results should be aware of.

3. Regarding how to get a random sample. My first thought is that you need to identify a source for the data. For example is their a govt database that could be used to get 1000 business names randomly. Then search their name on google/y/bing. Try to identify business website, and then check for GA or other. In this scenario, I assume results could be (a) no website found (b) website found. If website found then result regarding use of GA or not.

This would tell you out of a 1000 businesses randomly sampled from govt resource we found ??% businesses listed in the search engines with a website. Of those we found ??% had google analytics installed on their homepage.

Regarding govt sources of data, maybe sba or some state registration data are potential avenues.

Old 26th July 2010, 07:48 PM   #10
KevinW
VIP Contributor

100 isn't enough to be sure. I'll have to set aside time to start the "quest for 1000".

Thanks Logan