Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th July 2010, 11:44 AM   #1
BocaInsurance

Default Good Software For Key Word Ranking?

Does anyone know of any software I can use to instantly get a ranking report of a list of keywords for a particular site? Free or inexpensive would be best

BocaInsurance is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 20th July 2010, 03:58 PM   #2
SEOGOOROO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BocaInsurance View Post
Does anyone know of any software I can use to instantly get a ranking report of a list of keywords for a particular site? Free or inexpensive would be best
is the google keyword tool free enough for you?

https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

a good practice would be to get the keywords from the website and see the competition. then rank hard for the ones with low competition scores.

hope this helps

SEOGOOROO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 05:31 PM   #3
Logan
Administrator

I think eric is talking about checking the ranking of a site instead.

I'd try digitalpoints tool for something relatively quick and free

http://www.digitalpoint.com/tools/keywords/

While checking rankings is some times necessary, keep in mind another approach is to see which keywords are referring visitors to your site. Those are the ones that matter. I do this instead.

Try http://www.hittail.com (free trial) or you can also get keyword referral data from Google Analytics.

Old 20th July 2010, 08:24 PM   #4
Tiggerito

I used to use this before I wrote my own tool:

http://www.cleverstat.com/en/google-monitor-query.htm

It gives you your position in search results and its free.

I combine position information with search volumes and an estimate on click through rates to get a final score that should relate to the number of visitors the keyword should generate.

Old 23rd July 2010, 04:47 AM   #5
Rickey

Default hi

I suggest you go for rank checker this is quite free tool and you can use it for Rank tracking as well.

Rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2010, 04:26 PM   #6
Social-Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickey View Post
I suggest you go for rank checker this is quite free tool and you can use it for Rank tracking as well.
There are lots of software packages out there which will do this. The free ones do not generally provide the best results IMO. I use iBusinessPromoter (IBP). Web Position Gold and WebCEO are a couple of others.

Whatever you use, make sure that you can limit the number of threads running for each engine (I use 1), that it has human emulation (i.e. you can make it wait random intervals between each polling, and that you can have it clear cookies after each search request.

It's against the Terms of Service (TOS) at most engines including Google to use automated programs to a retrieve data from their systems. So such software is a violation of Google's TOS. If they figure out you're using such software they will typically lock you out of their engine for some period... often 24 hrs at the time. Do if from a busines IP and get caught, and they'll often block your entire IP block so everyone at your company will be blocked from using Google. The commercial packages typically prevent this from happening with their human emulation features.

Old 29th July 2010, 01:22 PM   #7
umerbcool

If looking for free tool then Google keyword tool is good. But if you are looking for a paid service then wordtracker is good.

umerbcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 01:27 PM   #8
KevinW
VIP Contributor

I used to use WEB CEO religiously. However, I'm finding that Rank Checking only has limited value these days. With Search Personilization, and other forms of display employed by Google now, it's difficult to say where you rank for any given keyterm.

I do, however, subscribe to Google webmaster tools. They tell me how often I show up for searches, and in what average position.

Old 30th July 2010, 12:44 PM   #9
Eola

I think semrush can be rather helpful for you. Have you ever tried it?

Eola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2010, 01:14 PM   #10
davidbkeegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eola View Post
I think semrush can be rather helpful for you. Have you ever tried it?
www.semrush.com is my favorite too. The traffic is only an estimate, but the ranking are pretty accurate. I can't seem to get it to work with subpages, but any domain that ranks somewhere should be fine.

I also like the idea of converting organic traffic to a dollar amount using hte adwords CPC, it just seems like a cool way to do it.

davidbkeegan is offline   Reply With Quote