Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Copywriting
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th December 2005, 05:16 PM   #1
copywriter

Default The Evils of SEO Copywriting

There seems to be a campaign to bash SEO copywriting and all the evil it represents. I've seen Bob Bly's blog and I've seen the ezine articles all over declaring that SEO copywriting is that same as serving two masters. That it is wicked and evil and should be abolished now before we are all struck by lightening.

Truth be known, I agree with them... in part. What people are proclaiming as SEO copywriting is nothing more than keyword stuffing. They have no plan for including keyphrases in their text, they don't take time to figure out which keyphrases work with what pages/types of copy/messages and they do nothing more than shove them in wherever they might even have a chance of making sense. THAT is not SEO copywriting.

SEO copywriting does not detract from the sales message IF it's done right. Not to toot my own horn, but I just had a client who manufactures treadmills, ellipticals and the like put up a page of SEO copy that shot his conversion rate up to 312%. Still wanna tell me that SEO copy doesn't sell?

Here's my stand: *IF* SEO copy is written the way it should be written, it does its job with selling and with aiding in rankings.

So where do you stand? Is SEO copywriting evil?

Old 9th December 2005, 06:19 PM   #2
NiftyGaloot

Where do I stand? Well don't expect my opinions to mean too much since I'm new to online marketing of all kinds.

I think, if you define SEO copywriting as simply stuffing in as many keyword as possible, it's not a good thing at all. People aren't as likely to do business when they see a page chocked full of keywords, having bad grammer, poorly thought out sentences, and copy that's tough to read.

However... If you define SEO copywriting as writing with good grammer and well thought out messages chocked full of keywords & phrases that is easy to read. Well.... You can't ask for much better than that. Anyone coming to such a page will be thinking "This business really knows what they are doing and maybe I should do business with them." They don't care if it's SEO copywriting or not, they just care if it looks good and professional.

So... my opinion is SEO copywriting is neither good nor evil in itself, it's more a matter if it's done well or poorly.

NiftyGaloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2005, 02:02 AM   #3
St0n3y

Search Engine Guide Blogger

SEO copywriting has the same problems as writing for any media... each have their own set of "rules" which writers must conform to, mostly limits in time, space, etc. For SEO the rules require specific targeting of phrases. But aside from that, it is the job of the copy to sell the service. Period. Can you sell the service and still work specific keywords into the copy? Sure. Can you sell the service and "stuff" keywords into the copy? Yes, but not near as effectively. Good copy produces good sales. Good SEO copy produces top rankings AND good sales.

Old 12th December 2005, 08:15 AM   #4
copywriter

Quote:
writing for any media... each have their own set of "rules"
Exactly! Radio has time constraints and so does TV. Brochures, post cards, fliers, catalogs and other forms of direct mail copy have their own rules that must be follwed for writing within those media and within the space constraints.

I agree 100%.

Old 12th December 2005, 11:50 AM   #5
NiftyGaloot

Quote:
Originally Posted by St0n3y
Good copy produces good sales. Good SEO copy produces top rankings AND good sales.
Well said!

I think that pretty much hits the nail on the head.

NiftyGaloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2014, 01:23 AM   #6
RightBrainCopy

Send a message via Skype™ to RightBrainCopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by St0n3y View Post
Good copy produces good sales. Good SEO copy produces top rankings AND good sales.
Hi guys. Hope it's ok for me to wade in. I was just gonna say that! I have worn the SEO consultant hat before and now I'm getting some great training in writing sales copy.

If you can accomplish both great search rankings AND sell from the page your batting it out of the park.

I think you can at least try to accomplish both depending on what you're writing copy for. I mean, if it's an email or auto-responder series, then I'm not gonna worry about SEO am I?

If it's a lead-generation page designed to collect subscriber information and the main vehicle driving the page is Solo Adverts, I wouldn't think about SEO either.

On the other hand, if it were a web sales page and organic search is being viewed as the focus to drive traffic to it then yes, you might want to try to accomplish both goals. But I wouldn't sacrifice the great sales copy's potential by concentrating on SEO either. Does that make sense?

RightBrainCopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2014, 02:19 PM   #7
AaronCrawford

It makes total sense. Why would you want to give someone crappy copy (no offense to anyone who writes for SEO) when you can write quality content that actually gets people interested. I think that it is obvious that your head is on straight if you make this your priority.

AaronCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2015, 10:23 AM   #8
kdaniel171
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightBrainCopy View Post
I think you can at least try to accomplish both depending on what you're writing copy for. I mean, if it's an email or auto-responder series, then I'm not gonna worry about SEO am I?
Exactly, you should keep the final goal in mind. Still, if you're targeting visitors from organic search good SEO copy is a must. And high-quality SEO copy will attract more potential customers than just a piece of interesting content.

Old 15th August 2016, 07:33 PM   #9
LSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdaniel171 View Post
Exactly, you should keep the final goal in mind. Still, if you're targeting visitors from organic search good SEO copy is a must. And high-quality SEO copy will attract more potential customers than just a piece of interesting content.
Great copy is great copy. If it's great for users eventually it will have search value. Old fashioned SEO copy that is obviously stuffed, well, it's not evil but it's almost counter productive these days IMO.

LSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 02:56 AM   #10
jeffscott
VIP Contributor

SEO Copywriting is general because it will depend on the practitioner on how they will create the content base on the origin.