Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Local Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th June 2010, 10:53 PM   #1
eric olsen

Default A Marketing Question...

Hello, I am planning on selling imported handmade jewelry online, but am not sure how or where to market it. What would be the best group of people to sell it to?

A little more info: It is handmade macrame necklaces and bracelets with gemstones like obsidian, jade, fossil, amber, etc. It is beautiful jewelry that I will sell for $30-50.

Who should I sell it to and how can I find them?

Also, I want to do this with little or no marketing budget. I am sure once I sell a little bit I will get repeat customers, referrals and word of mouth from friends and family of the people who order it.

Thanks for your help!

Eric

eric olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 4th July 2010, 10:30 PM   #2
ChrisJ

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric olsen View Post
Hello, I am planning on selling imported handmade jewelry online, but am not sure how or where to market it. What would be the best group of people to sell it to?

A little more info: It is handmade macrame necklaces and bracelets with gemstones like obsidian, jade, fossil, amber, etc. It is beautiful jewelry that I will sell for $30-50.

Who should I sell it to and how can I find them?

Also, I want to do this with little or no marketing budget. I am sure once I sell a little bit I will get repeat customers, referrals and word of mouth from friends and family of the people who order it.

Thanks for your help!

Eric
Google online fashion shops or online jewelry stores. You can try and get in touch with owners of those online shops and work up a consignment deal with them that will include your products/among the online featured items for sale.

Better yet, post your items on sites like Amazon or Ebay. Create an online photo catalog of your product/s at free sites like multiply or flickr. You can also use social media like twitter, facebook to promote your product/s.

Cheers

ChrisJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 09:31 AM   #3
DavidMort
VIP Contributor

You can target different customers who like to be fashionable and original in some way. Try to find some forums which are devoted to such things, then use Facebook or Twitter or some other social networks for social media.

DavidMort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 03:01 PM   #4
mattcarpet
VIP Contributor

you do realize that little to no marketing bugdet means you'll have to work twice as hard to succeed?

My advice is to start saving now, use the above advice since it's solid, and when you have a couple hundred saved up invest in a website, make sure it has a blog, and start posting things like customer reviews, how you made certain items, etc. things relevant to the industry so to speak.

Use the main part of the site to promote your work and use paypal buttons/lots of pictures to save the cost of having an ecommerce site which comes with a higher price tag. The pictures won't save you money, but they might get people to show off your site more.

Then get some business cards, and maybe a letterhead for your receipts so you can send them with every sale. A sound little plan, probably going to take a little bit of work though.

Summer Logo Special Now in Effect
mattcarpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 10:52 PM   #5
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

My suggestion would be to start with a website. I would also include eCommerce shopping. If you shop it right.. you can get it all for a reasonable fee.

You say you don't have a budget. I am not sure if that means ZERO or if it means it's really small. But a well optimized site with mail list (opt in list to build your customers) will work.

I also agree with the other suggestions... but you still have to maintain a 'home base' (read that as website) to direct visitors to. Build it with a lot of detail about the product. Tell your story. Educate your customer. Talk to them in the words they want to hear about fashion and jewelry.

Testimonials will also help. There's some tricks to testimonials that you can use before you even sell anything.. .and one of them is reviews. You don't have to actually sell something to have reviews of your products. Use those as you would testimonials. (There's a freebie tip!)

Hope this helps! Good luck! If you need more help, drop me a private message. I am willing to offer you some ideas!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2010, 04:40 PM   #6
jayjay11

I would go with Ebay and Amazon to begin. It is fairly easy to start drumming up some revenue in these marketplaces.

It can take years of trial and error to get a successful site off the ground, but ebay shops are a great start!

jayjay11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 04:33 PM   #7
eric olsen

Ok, thanks to everybody for your great help!

I've thought about this a lot and have decided that a Facbook business page with a store tab will be the best way to start.

This is for three main reasons:

1) Low-budget: no advertising cost, no cost of web-hosting or store. Note: the store app on Facebook is free and they don't even charge a commission on sales (the Etsy app charges 3.5% and $0.20 per listing).

2) It's viral. Friend and family of customers. Repeat sales and gifts. It is easy to "like" and share.

3) I can start my own website with more features and customization later on and link to it from the page.

Check it out! Here's the link: Irresistible Handmade Jewelry

Be sure to "Like" my page if you like what you see (and don't be afraid to share it with your friends).

I'm open to comments or suggestions. Please post below.

Thanks and have a great day!

Eric

eric olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 10:19 PM   #8
mattcarpet
VIP Contributor

Good luck to you, just wondering, I've never seen that app before till your site, is it always slow? I'm not thinking it matters too much being that it's both free and in beta, but it took forever to load items for me... nice jewelry though, I'm impressed.

Summer Logo Special Now in Effect
mattcarpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 11:26 PM   #9
goodscoolwf

Students! the Main passenger source

goodscoolwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 02:54 PM   #10
MadAdvice

You can also try out Etsy.com

MadAdvice is offline   Reply With Quote