Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th May 2010, 08:00 PM   #1
MySmallBiz
VIP Contributor

Post Wordpress

I was just wondering... why wordpress doesn't allow you to post adsense or affiliate content on their free platform? They want you to use wordpress.org instead and pay up to be able to add other type of content. If blogger allows you to, why not wordpress?

MySmallBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 21st May 2010, 07:35 AM   #2
mktgbiz

What's the difference between the wordpress.org and .com ?

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 06:59 PM   #3
MySmallBiz
VIP Contributor

wordpress.com is free service, while on the other hand wordpress.org you pay, open a hosting account, and customize your blog or website.

Old 22nd May 2010, 06:28 AM   #4
mktgbiz

Soooooooooooooooooooooooo.....why not go with the freebie?

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 12:43 PM   #5
focusgroup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktgbiz View Post
The freebie IS nice. The downside to this is mainly for those who want to add content to their site and drive traffic.

A blog is a nice addition to a website and is proven to add value and search engine traffic.

Why send the traffic to wordpress? If you host your own site it's very easy to add and customize your own blog.

focusgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2010, 09:08 AM   #6
mporgsoft

Send a message via MSN to mporgsoft

You can easily setup a wordpress blog on your own domain for free and add any content you want.

I do not suggest the use of blogger or any other service that allows you to create a blog on their site to post your articles. You are only making them bigger and better while creating no asset or value for yourself. You cannot own or sell your blog on any of the free sites.

mporgsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 07:29 PM   #7
MySmallBiz
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusgroup View Post
The freebie IS nice. The downside to this is mainly for those who want to add content to their site and drive traffic.

A blog is a nice addition to a website and is proven to add value and search engine traffic.

Why send the traffic to wordpress? If you host your own site it's very easy to add and customize your own blog.
true true... good point focusgroup!

Old 30th May 2010, 09:34 PM   #8
zharlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySmallBiz View Post
I was just wondering... why wordpress doesn't allow you to post adsense or affiliate content on their free platform? They want you to use wordpress.org instead and pay up to be able to add other type of content. If blogger allows you to, why not wordpress?
Because Blogger is owned by Google. They allow you to use Adsense because Adsense is theirs.

Wordpress.com on the other hand, have to earn by placing their ads on your pages. I'm not 100% familiar with the wordpress-hosted blogs but I think that's what the deal is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktgbiz View Post
Let's not forget the value of the domain name. Getting a free subdomain promotes wordpress.com so the more popular your site get, the more credit they get. And if they have ads on your pages, they earn.

I'm not sure about wordpress not allowing affiliate ads & adsense...in this case I suppose it's better to go with blogger as adsense is an integrated feature.

The disadvantages with subdomains is credibility...EVERYONE knows it's free. So if you're promoting a product or telling people you're earning a lot through the certain affiliate...anyone with brains won't believe you because it's apparent that you have no money to spend on a cheap domain + hosting. Same thing if you're trying to sell a product through a subdomain, it's almost a joke for anyone actually willing to listen to you.

People are more willing to trust domains.

If it's just for personal blogs, then a subdomain will suffice.

zharlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 09:09 PM   #9
MySmallBiz
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zharlene View Post
Because Blogger is owned by Google. They allow you to use Adsense because Adsense is theirs.

Wordpress.com on the other hand, have to earn by placing their ads on your pages. I'm not 100% familiar with the wordpress-hosted blogs but I think that's what the deal is.

Let's not forget the value of the domain name. Getting a free subdomain promotes wordpress.com so the more popular your site get, the more credit they get. And if they have ads on your pages, they earn.

I'm not sure about wordpress not allowing affiliate ads & adsense...in this case I suppose it's better to go with blogger as adsense is an integrated feature.

The disadvantages with subdomains is credibility...EVERYONE knows it's free. So if you're promoting a product or telling people you're earning a lot through the certain affiliate...anyone with brains won't believe you because it's apparent that you have no money to spend on a cheap domain + hosting. Same thing if you're trying to sell a product through a subdomain, it's almost a joke for anyone actually willing to listen to you.

People are more willing to trust domains.

If it's just for personal blogs, then a subdomain will suffice.
this is very great advice and info zharlene

Old 1st June 2010, 01:06 AM   #10
mattcarpet
VIP Contributor

As for the whole adsense question, if you install wordpress onto your site, i.e. instead of just using the subdomain off wordpress then you can easily find all sorts of plugins/widgets to aide you in that department. I don't use any of them myself but since plugins are generally so easy to install and begin using you will be able to try out more than one in a short amount of time to find one that fits with you. I'd run a test but I'm not using adsense etc. at the moment. I'm going ad free for a while.

Summer Logo Special Now in Effect
mattcarpet is offline   Reply With Quote