Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Search Engine Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th May 2010, 07:19 PM   #1
sequoia payroll

Default Landing Page Questions???

I just read a good article about keeping the content on your landing page focused, and to the point. The article also mentioned that we should not have multiple pages with identical content, as this could get you slapped.

My main landing page is for nationwide payroll services. I have another page for Arkansas, and a page for Oklahoma. The state specific landing pages also talk a little more about our bookkeeping services for the local area.

Here is my concern. Say you land on the Arkansas page, and you navigate to another interior page of the site. When you click the "home" link, you will be sent to the nationwide page, not the AR page. So I copied all the interior pages of the main site, but I changed the links to flow back to the local pages for the appropriate landing page. In other words, for each internal page, there are really two other identical interior pages with the only exception being where the links take you.

How does a person get around identical content, but still keep potential customers where they want them?

Old 6th May 2010, 08:34 PM   #2
TFerg

Good evening, you can accomplish updating the home link through the use of javascript. You could name the cookie something like homelink. For each of your landing pages you could place a script that test if the previous page was google or yahoo, and if it was you can populate the homelink cookie with address of the page you want the link to goto. Then whenever the page loads if the homelink cookie is populated you can dynamically update the link.

That is kind of technical but it you have some javascript experience you should be able to manage. If you don't have any experience pm and maybe I can help you through it.

You are correct about the duplicate content, that is a no no. I've seen ecommerce store owners place an image of a paragraph of text on item pages that they have the same thing like a shipping policy repeated on.

TFerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 05:23 AM   #3
LesleyHuntley

Google really doesn't like it if you have duplicate pages on the same website, but it is OK with duplicate content on different websites. I have had several websites with the same content ranking in different places on page one, depending on off page optimisation of the different sites.

What I would do personally is register ArkansasPayrollServices.com, OklahomaPayrollServices.com etc. Google places domain names very highly on its list of ranking factors, so with little off page optimisation, you should see yourself go to page one very quickly for 'Arkansas Payroll Services' for example. you could then have the pages link back to your main site.

That's how I would get around it.

LesleyHuntley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 02:24 PM   #4
mofaux

You should be alright with the unique content provided by your local information. If google really slapped every page for having pieces of duplicate content, Yelp! would never be on the first page.

If you're really worried about it, you can change your image names, meta keywords, page titles, and other onsite SEO tags to include names of the localities the pages are made for.

mofaux is offline   Reply With Quote