Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Print Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th May 2010, 09:08 AM   #1
G33kman

Question Advertising On Local Taxi Company Vehicles

I'm trying to start up a small business in computer repair and sales and I have a friend that works as a mechanic for the local taxi company in town they have around 30 taxi's and my friend talked to his boss (the owner) about letting me advertise on the vehicles, nothing big just my logo and business name and number (roughly a sticker 18" high by 12" wide on the back fenders of the taxi's) the questions that I have are:

1: it's gonna cost me roughly $10-20 per sticker for the taxis 1 for each side plus the price of advertising on the taxi's. How much would be a good price to do this. I told my friend to talk to his boss and ask him how much he would want to run those stickers on the taxi's and for how long.

2: and another computer repair shop in town (that I used to work for and left on bad terms due to the owner and I disagreeing on certain things) up until recently ran a sticker ad on the taxi's (that's where my friend got the idea) but they don't anymore since they've been on the taxi's for around 3-5 years and I don't think said company pays the taxi company for advertising anymore so that's why they're taking them off.

I just want to know if the price that I get quoted is something decent (i.e. if I had a rough guess as to what someone would think is a fair price for doing something like this that would be good so when I get the quote I can way whether it's worth it or not.

The taxi's mostly drive around town here which is roughly 60,000 people and it's a college town with 3 major colleges and the taxi's travel to local towns sometimes so I believe the idea is good because I would definitely get seen but as I just started in Sept of 09' the money that I have for the business isn't that big yet. I believe I can get the money for the advertising as long as it isn't over $2000 all said and done. I've never paid for any of my advertising it's all been pretty much word of mouth and a Facebook fan page which have obviously been free and recently I purchase some hosting and a couple domains for a website and i'm having a local website design company (who's also a friend of mine) design the site and that was cheap since I know the guy so I've never really done anything where I had to pay for the advertising just trying to get a feel for it.

Thanks guys sorry it got so long I just didn't want to leave the question without any information so you guys could weigh it out for yourselves.

G33kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 7th May 2010, 09:40 PM   #2
Ravedesigns

While I usually think just about anything is worth testing to see how it works for you, I'd hate to see you throw $2k into this and not get the results you were hoping for.

For starters, I could see this working better if you had a sticker INSIDE the taxi where people would at least see your ad long enough to be able to write down your number if they needed your services. I drive by all kinds of buses and taxis with ads on them each day and I couldn't remember one of them 5 minutes later if you paid me! ;-)

Personally, if I were in your shoes, I would do two things...

1) Approach a local newspaper of any size and see if they'd be interested in running a weekly column with tech tips and advice for their readers. If you can write a halfway decent article that's of benefit to their readers, free advertising like this with your contact info at the end of each article could be priceless.

2) Find other local businesses that deal with business computer users (like an office supply store for example) and see if they'll place a flyer of yours in every delivery they make. Pay for the printing and tell them you'll pay them a finders fee of $XX for every new client you get.

3) I'd place lots of signage on my vehicle so it'd be noticed where ever I go, and if you have some down time - park in a high traffic area where others are likely to see it - like a fast food place on the main highway or the entrance to a local shopping center.

Oh, and I'd really consider having an email newsletter prospects can sign up for (one where you regularly give out good, free advice) because the problem with computers is no one ever knows when they're going to have trouble - so you need to be the first one they think of when they have a problem - and communicating with prospects through a newsletter is a great way to do this.

Hope this helps some!

Steve

P.S. Having just read a post about business card displays here, why not see if you could leave a holder with business cards in it in the back of each cab? Google "vehicle business card holders" and you'll find things like http://www.vehiclecardpockets.com/ that should work for you here.
(Just noticed at the link I just posted there's a testimonial from a computer tech using their product)

Last edited by Ravedesigns; 7th May 2010 at 09:49 PM.
Ravedesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 09:43 AM   #3
G33kman

Thumbs up Thanks for the advice

I like the idea of the newspaper advice section. I think I'll check into that on Monday.
The card holder is probably what i'll end up doing, i'd like to get some kind of advertising on those cars cause they're everywhere but for now the business card idea seems like the right track (the card holders will be a nice way to make that work).
The work vehicle and email thing is already in the works so hopefully this other stuff will help out too!
Thanks for the pointers they're very much appreciated!

G33kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 11:41 PM   #4
samson smith

EDDM is better idea for the promotion of your local taxi company vehicles.

samson smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2012, 01:21 AM   #5
ilovemedia

Ravedesigns is dead on target here. Just getting eyeballs to see your information isn't great advertising. There needs to be something to turn the impression into action. Offer great content on a blog, newsletter or newspaper column is one great source of advertising. You could also look at Facebook advertising. You can target that to the people in your area and only pay a set amount. Since you already have the fan page set up, it's a natural fit and next-step. Also, keep generating content on your Facebook fan page so that people have a reason to come back. In marketing, interaction is a million times better than passive reception of the ad.

ilovemedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2012, 12:15 AM   #6
24-7

Since you are regional, I would spend that 2K on PPC advertising in your area. Everything is on the internet. You want to be on Page 1 of Google in your area for Computer Repair. I don't think the side of a cab will get the results that you want. THINK BIG.

Page 1 of Google is where you want to be.

24-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 05:55 PM   #7
lovemykids2

Send a message via Skype™ to lovemykids2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemedia View Post
Ravedesigns is dead on target here. Just getting eyeballs to see your information isn't great advertising. There needs to be something to turn the impression into action. Offer great content on a blog, newsletter or newspaper column is one great source of advertising. You could also look at Facebook advertising. You can target that to the people in your area and only pay a set amount. Since you already have the fan page set up, it's a natural fit and next-step. Also, keep generating content on your Facebook fan page so that people have a reason to come back. In marketing, interaction is a million times better than passive reception of the ad.
I would also incorporate mobile marketing where you can build a database of people that are interested in your product or service. This allows you to communicate with them in real time. I would use all means of advertising mentioned and add mobile to the mix where you can track which means of marketing is really working for you.

lovemykids2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 07:22 PM   #8
chinlee

The first thing I think you should do is to start a small website, just somewhere you can put all your information in and all the contact details that any customer would ever need. Then start marketing using social media sites such as Facebook, where you can start gaining some interests over the globe. Just remember to always complete everything(information) because that is essential to your success.