Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st April 2010, 01:21 PM   #1
vmhatup

Default Email Asking How I Can Become Authorized Retailer?

------------------------------------------------------
NOTE

Hello. Select the following link for a sample letter and helpful tips

Sample Letter to Become A Distributor
http://www.smallbusinessanswers.com/...istributor.php

The above link has tips and an example of a letter compiled from the comments made within this thread. The sample letter and tips was created by the forum administrator based on the following discussion.

ORIGINAL POST

I'm small business owner, but I'm interested in becoming an authorized retailer of a specific fashion company in a country outside the US.

I would like to set up a small store and sell this brand of accessories exclusively. Optionally, if other stores were interested in carrying this product, they'd have to buy from us.

My question is... how do I go about contacting them regarding this business venture? How would I write the email?

Assuming they would be interested in expanding their sales internationally, generally speaking, what would a company ask for?

Thanks for your help.

vmhatup is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 21st April 2010, 08:36 PM   #2
cfoservices

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmhatup View Post
I'm small business owner, but I'm interested in becoming an authorized retailer of a specific fashion company in a country outside the US.

I would like to set up a small store and sell this brand of accessories exclusively. Optionally, if other stores were interested in carrying this product, they'd have to buy from us.

My question is... how do I go about contacting them regarding this business venture? How would I write the email?

Assuming they would be interested in expanding their sales internationally, generally speaking, what would a company ask for?

Thanks for your help.
In your email it is important that you explain to them the size of the US market for their type of product and how you are going to sell and promote it. I am assuming they do not have any US distribution. Ask them for suggested retail prices and a price list. The problems with lots of imported products is the freight and duty and also the currency exchange is so expensive that you find that when all is said and done the price point ends up too high. Figure out the price point that you think it will sell at retail. You mentioned that you were going to try and sell it to other retailers as well. Inform them of what geographical markets in the US you are going to sell the product as well as if you are going to use sales reps for other parts of the country. Ask them what their minimum quantities are. Ask them how the product is packaged and how many units to a pallet. I would not make the introduction email too long. Just touch on the points I made above.

The other thing you must consider is you are probably going to need a letter of credit or at least plan on paying for the product in advance. International business is usually done this way.

Old 21st April 2010, 11:05 PM   #3
vmhatup

Thanks for your reply.

The company's European and their shoes are extremely popular all over the world. In their page they have a list of countries with retail stores, but the country I'd like to sell in is not listed, so I assume that nobody's selling them "officially" there, if at all. I've also been told by people there that this brand does not exist... as a matter of fact, someone from over there that really likes shoes gave me the idea to contact them.

Assuming nobody else carries it, then, in the future, if they sell well, we could also become the country's authorized distributor.

I believe that, due to the demographics and interests of the people there, these shoes would sell well. But I'd like to approach the company correctly so that they know I'm serious about this. And, if possible, I wouldn't want someone to get the rights to this brand.

Thanks again.

Last edited by vmhatup; 21st April 2010 at 11:08 PM.
vmhatup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2010, 01:54 PM   #4
cfoservices

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmhatup View Post
Thanks for your reply.

The company's European and their shoes are extremely popular all over the world. In their page they have a list of countries with retail stores, but the country I'd like to sell in is not listed, so I assume that nobody's selling them "officially" there, if at all. I've also been told by people there that this brand does not exist... as a matter of fact, someone from over there that really likes shoes gave me the idea to contact them.

Assuming nobody else carries it, then, in the future, if they sell well, we could also become the country's authorized distributor.

I believe that, due to the demographics and interests of the people there, these shoes would sell well. But I'd like to approach the company correctly so that they know I'm serious about this. And, if possible, I wouldn't want someone to get the rights to this brand.

Thanks again.
I see, I did not realize we were talking about another country. I have seen many of these emails from the other side. Whereby I was the distributor and other distributors from around the world wanted my product.

These letters are really short. They are like this:

Dear manufacturer (insert someone's name if you can)

I would like to introduce myself. My name is _______ and the name of my company is __________. We are a retailer/distributor of shoes in (name of country). I am interested in selling your shoes in the (name of country) market. I am very familiar with your product and I do not believe you have any distribution here and I believe I can lay the groundwork to give you some very valuable distribution in this country.

Could you provide me with a distributor price list and suggested retail prices? I would also like to know what your minimum quantities are.

Please feel free to email me or call me. My phone number is XXX-XXX-XXXX

That would be it. These emails are always short. If you do not get a response, I would call them. Also, refer to some of the points regarding freight, duty, currency considerations and letters of credit that I made in my previous post as something to talk to them about after you hear from them on your initial email.

Old 25th October 2016, 10:22 PM   #5
Logan
Administrator

Here is an example of a sample letter created for those visiting this thread.

If you have any suggestions on how to improve this sample letter then please add your comments here. We'll be sure to share your comments here and it will help others that visit this page in the future looking for the same information. Be sure to let us know how we can help you if you have any questions or can't find what you are looking for. Thank you.

Old 26th October 2016, 04:41 AM   #6
memelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Here is an example of a sample letter created for those visiting this thread.

If you have any suggestions on how to improve this sample letter then please add your comments here. We'll be sure to share your comments here and it will help others that visit this page in the future looking for the same information. Be sure to let us know how we can help you if you have any questions or can't find what you are looking for. Thank you.

This is great! Do you have any sample letter for new retail stores though?

memelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016, 10:45 AM   #7
Logan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by memelia View Post
This is great! Do you have any sample letter for new retail stores though?
Hi memelia, I'm happy you found it helpful. My suggestion would be to have a financial plan that can be shared with the distributor at an appropriate time in the process. The financial plan you have established could be used instead of the established accounts/credit references that a retail store normally would use.