Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st April 2010, 10:45 AM   #1
BocaInsurance

Default Google Local Listings

Much of what Google does is a mystery - has anyone found any proven methods to increasing ranking in the local listings, any time a map show up on a search? I show up with the map sometimes, other times not...is there anything I can do?

BocaInsurance is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 22nd April 2010, 10:07 PM   #2
rhwebs

Default Some markets are more competitive than others..

If your listing is new it may take some. However, some markets are more competitive than others. I consistently get my clients on the first page of Google using Google Local. It's really not that mysterious if you know how...

Here's a few tips that may help:
  • Update your business listing on superpages.com. Add multiple categories and a detailed description like you did in Google Local. Google Local pulls data from superpages.com. Also, superpages.com is used by MapQuest which is used by other search engines to display local results. This will get you some additional traffic from the other search engines.
  • Complete your Google Local listing by adding hours, methods of payment etc.
  • Perform some SEO on your website. At the very least add page titles to your web pages with keywords that are related to the content on the pages. Optimizing your website will help google understand that your website is relevant to the Google Local categories you are trying to advertise in.
  • Wait - if your listing is new it may take some time. But you need to do all the above stuff to have a chance in such a competitive market.

PM me if you have questions. Thanks.

Rick

Old 22nd April 2010, 10:27 PM   #3
rhwebs

one other thing I forgot to mention....Get some of your customers to post reviews. That will help differentiate your listing from the competition and help you rank higher.

Old 1st May 2010, 09:37 AM   #4
Tiggerito

I've found the choice of categories has a great effect. Research the best search words and use them in your categories.

If your not in the USA, work out the local affiliates Google Places has and try to get submitted. TrueLocal and StartLocal are good ones in Australia.

And we are assuming you have claimed your listing?

Old 2nd May 2010, 01:50 PM   #5
agraj1

hello,
What algorithm use is still a mystery, no one know how does it works, SEo is nothing but a random guess and technique developed after great research..

agraj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 09:21 AM   #6
SmallBizShift

You're right, the local algorithms are a bit of a mystery. The best exploration of it I've seen is this survey of local search pros.

The consensus seems to be that claiming your listing at as many places as possible, and getting consistent information in all of those places can help substantially. You also need good descriptions, categorization, etc. Check out the link for all the details.

SmallBizShift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 03:49 PM   #7
cdrx

It seems that Google sometimes shifts the results around in larger markets so the same 10 businesses can't dominate their results.

cdrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2010, 03:25 AM   #8
wilsonlan518

Location: Sourcing partner--Shunde,Foshan city,Guangdong,China
Send a message via MSN to wilsonlan518 Send a message via Yahoo to wilsonlan518

I think that the payable ad is better.

wilsonlan518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 03:32 AM   #9
allisa

today i knew that supepage is useful for local listing of the site. I did not use it before today. i will try on it , thanks........lot of

allisa is offline   Reply With Quote