Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 70,000 small business folks with over 120,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th April 2010, 04:47 PM   #1
samklein

Default Speed Matters

Found this among my Slashdot updates today:

Quote:
Google is now taking into account how fast a page loads in calculating its PageRank. In their own words: '[W]e're including a new signal in our search ranking algorithms: site speed. Site speed reflects how quickly a website responds to web requests. ... our users place a lot of value in speed — that's why we've decided to take site speed into account in our search rankings. ... While site speed is a new signal, it doesn't carry as much weight as the relevance of a page. Currently, fewer than 1% of search queries are affected by the site speed signal in our implementation and the signal for site speed only applies for visitors searching in English on Google.com at this point.' Considering the increasing dilution of high-ranking results by endless series of plagiarizing 'blogs,' brainless forums, and outright scam sites, anything that further reduces the influence of the quality of the content is something I would rather not have. Not that Google asked me.
Looks like it won't make a difference for most people, but having global servers will now boost your ranking.

samklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 12th April 2010, 08:20 AM   #2
Logan
Administrator

Hi Sam, thanks for the heads up on that. It is one of those things that if you do not have good hosting, its time to address it asap. And I can understand why google is trying to reduce the number of times a visitor clicks on results that are not responding frequently.

Quote:
Considering the increasing dilution of high-ranking results by endless series of plagiarizing 'blogs,' brainless forums, and outright scam sites, anything that further reduces the influence of the quality of the content is something I would rather not have.
I realize this is a rant from someone else and not google, but I don't think there is an issue with this update to the algorithm reducing the influence of the content for most. If you have good content, and a bad server you will be impacted. But people were'nt getting to the content in a timely manner in the first place so it is on the website owner to address that.

Old 12th April 2010, 10:48 PM   #3
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Ha! There go those $3.00 a month hosting plans, huh?

Good solid hosting that is up and running combined with good content and proper optimization of page titles and meta descriptions still works. I did it for a huge site in 2004... and it's still pulling over 1000 uniques a day. Now I am working on others. It's a long road to hoe, but it works.

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 02:45 AM   #4
joshua99
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeTheBest View Post
Ha! There go those $3.00 a month hosting plans, huh?

Good solid hosting that is up and running combined with good content and proper optimization of page titles and meta descriptions still works. I did it for a huge site in 2004... and it's still pulling over 1000 uniques a day. Now I am working on others. It's a long road to hoe, but it works.
Sure it works but the problem with most website owners including me is that we are interested with the quick money. We do not want to spend time building a site properly.

Old 13th April 2010, 06:06 AM   #5
John Peterr

today morning i had came across some article related to speed of loading the websites and its impact SERP. Google is also considering the speed as one of factor .

John Peterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 10:41 AM   #6
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Sure it works but the problem with most website owners including me is that we are interested with the quick money. We do not want to spend time building a site properly.
That's why there is so much 'crash and burn' out there. Sustainable business model makes it REAL

Quote:
Google is also considering the speed as one of factor .
I don't need Google to tell me... if a site takes too long, I move on. Don't you? Are you going to wait for a slow loading site? Do you really have the time??

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 10:42 AM   #7
Tiggerito

John, Google has announced it IS a factor, but state it will only effect about 1% of searches (at the moment).

I think its a good idea. Website owners and developers should be more aware that speed effects their visitors experience.

Maybe this is the death of flash!

Tiggerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 08:49 PM   #8
Sporkman
VIP Contributor

Here's the link:

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogsp...h-ranking.html

Sporkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 10:04 PM   #9
zharlene

I actually just found out this month that they've implemented this. Although it's an interesting new factor they want to take into account, it is an obvious hindrance especially for online start-ups who want to save as much as possible esp. in terms of server costs.

@ Tiggerito - I agree with you; speed affects visitor experience...but on the other hand think about fast-loading sites that have plagiarized content from slow-loading sites that have original content.

The fast sites will gain more visitors, and in this sense they will profit more so they'll have enough to maintain their fast servers. In the same light, the slower sites with original content will be pushed further and further down the SERPs.

I know I'm exaggerating here, but hey...never underestimate a 1% influence; it might just be the percentage that pushes your site from position #10 to position #11 (which pushes you to the 2nd page of the Google SERPs at default setting).

zharlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 08:16 PM   #10
kathyink

SEO techniques are constantly changing. Google constantly finds new ways to improve the rankings of legitimate websites and help searchers get better search experience. By improving site speed, users also get a better surfing experience. The bounce rate decreases and websites are able to retain their viewers more effectively. Good conversions also count on having good surfing experience, so at the end of the day, it is not only for search rankings. This theory is also used for a brick and mortar shop.
Kathy - http://www.cartridgeshop.co.uk

kathyink is offline   Reply With Quote