Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Social Media
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th April 2010, 07:00 PM   #1
CindyYoung

Default I Have No Friends :(

I am new to social networking, and I have only a few friends and acquaintances online. With the majority of social networking sites, you get "friends" or "connections" through email lists, university acquaintances, past jobs, etc. I have very few connections through these resources. My online friends consist of about 15 people in total, none of which go on any social networks.

I offer a product that targets women ages 24 - 40 who are looking for the "right man". How can I find friends/connections in Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, or other social networks, that would be interested in my product?

Also, if you know of a social network not listed that may suit me, please let me know.

Thanks your for input!

Last edited by CindyYoung; 10th April 2010 at 07:09 PM.
CindyYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 12th April 2010, 02:46 PM   #2
BrittMalka

Wink

The simple answer is: You start writing.

Different search engines will help other people finding your Twitter account, because they will look for keywords that interest them-selves.

I've noticed that every time I send out a tweet, I get at least one new follower.

You have to be active to get noticed.

Also, if you set up a newsletter of a kind and write hight quality content, people will relate to you and send you letters.

It takes time, but with those methods you can build strong relations. Don't go for the quick and easy in these matters.

Old 14th April 2010, 10:48 AM   #3
CindyYoung

Default Finding Friends

Finding followers on Twitter was the easy part. I just followed them, then they followed me. But finding friend on LinkedIn or Facebook was really difficult.

How does one know who to search for on Facebook? Do you just do a blanket search for a particular subject, then ask the people who come up to be your friends, or is there a better method?

Thanks for your input!

Old 14th April 2010, 10:49 AM   #4
CindyYoung

Being "active" isn't the problem, I have the time to write, I just don't know who to write to. How did you find new friends in Facebook?

Old 14th April 2010, 11:29 AM   #5
joshua99
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyYoung View Post
Being "active" isn't the problem, I have the time to write, I just don't know who to write to. How did you find new friends in Facebook?
Have you try to create a group on facebook where you will invite your friends. Then just ask them to invite all their friends to it. You need to find a good topic for your group though.
I had a christian group that have grown quite big like this on facebook.

Old 14th April 2010, 12:37 PM   #6
opensource12

Greetings, the best way to start getting connections is by knowing your contacts, All contacts I have in my social networks are known by me and that is really sane, and safe. It is not that I am a paranoid fellow, but itīs the best way, now, I understand that people in real life have problems socializing and break the wall on the internet clicking the "add me" tag, I am one of those fellows, I met my girlfriend this way, and I donīt recommend it. One has to be safe from strangers.

opensource12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 12:57 PM   #7
CindyYoung

Hi Joshua. My problems is that I don't have a lot of friends on Facebook, only my kids, and they are not interested in my business. How can I make new friends on Facebook?

LOL - this reminds me of when I was a kid in grade 1. I came home from school in tears because I had no friends

Old 14th April 2010, 02:15 PM   #8
BrittMalka

I'm lazy, Cindy, especially when it comes to Facebook, which I don't really like.

So I write, and I let people find me. When they ask to become my friend, I say yes, unless they look like spammers.

But you can be active. Even I was a bit... I joined some fan pages and groups around my topic, and people from those places then asked to become my friend. You can be more active and ask people yourself. Facebook is just not my stuff. I like Twitter better But I don't like the automatic-follow-back-twitters, who will probably never read, what I write.

Old 14th April 2010, 10:31 PM   #9
joshua99
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittMalka View Post
I'm lazy, Cindy, especially when it comes to Facebook, which I don't really like.

So I write, and I let people find me. When they ask to become my friend, I say yes, unless they look like spammers.

But you can be active. Even I was a bit... I joined some fan pages and groups around my topic, and people from those places then asked to become my friend. You can be more active and ask people yourself. Facebook is just not my stuff. I like Twitter better But I don't like the automatic-follow-back-twitters, who will probably never read, what I write.
Yes Cindy, if you do not have friends on facebook you will have to work another way round. Just join some pages and groups and try to interact a little.
Also instead of seeking fans from facebook and then going to your website try to do the other round let them join your facebook pages from a link on your website. You can then make offers or post some interesting information on your facebook fan pages that will help it to grow by the magic of viral marketing.

Old 20th April 2010, 11:27 AM   #10
Amir W.
VIP Contributor

You may have more friends on FB than you think - since more and more people every day are joining. I used to think that finding people via the upload-your-contacts feature wouldn't help, since I don't have a gmail or aol account, but then I realized that I can export my Outlook contacts and import them into a gmail account. voila! all these friends were found.

but in general keep at it and your friends list will grow.

Amir W. is offline   Reply With Quote