Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 70,000 small business folks with over 120,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st March 2010, 09:24 PM   #1
briteguy1227

Default Will Website Title Change Affect Site Ranking?

I am thinking about changing my website title to be more meaningful to what the site is about. But, I don't know if I do change the title, will it have a short term negative effect on how my site ranks on search engines?

Also, if there is any negative effect for the site ranking, how long it could last and then back to normal?

Thanks in advance,

Old 1st April 2010, 12:09 AM   #2
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

I am assuming that you mean the 'Page Title'. The answer is yes! I may actually IMPROVE your ranking.

That title should always include the keywords and phrases that people will enter into the search engine to find you.

Also be sure that you have good META Tag Descriptions.

Hope this help!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 01:28 AM   #3
briteguy1227

sorry, I didn't express clearly.

I am referring to the whole site title. For example, this forum website has this as the site title:

---
Small Business Ideas, Issues, Resources, News and Help | Small Business Ideas Forum
---

So, if changing it, will it have a negative impact for SEO?

Thanks,

Old 1st April 2010, 06:44 AM   #4
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Yes, what you see in what is typically the 'blue bar' at the very top of your browser screen is the page title. That is also what makes up the big link in Search Results Pages. The page title is the big link. The meta description is the 2 lines below that (in SERPS)

Therefore, what I said before still stands. Yes, page title will effect your rank. But be sure to include the words people use to search for you.

Hope this helps!

Old 1st April 2010, 05:59 PM   #5
GT3 Digital

Send a message via Skype™ to GT3 Digital

BeTheBest is right but also know that in most cases your site won't be effected, either positively or negatively for at least a few weeks and possibly as long as a few months. This is generally how long it takes for google and other sites to refresh their cache and the site listings. It does happen faster, just don't panic if you don't see results immediately.

Google keeps their algorithms pretty secret but we know that the number one factor is relevancy of content (copy, images, image tags, URL, Page title, meta tags) to the search terms. Out of that list meta tags are probably the least important, at least that is what i have heard but I don't have any data to support that. So everything and anything you can do to honestly improve how relevant your site's content appears to search terms the better your site will improve.

Good luck!
Greg Faherty

GT3 Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 09:53 PM   #6
TFerg

Default Relevant title tags

Having a relevant title tag will also get better traffic which will reduce bounce rate which will increase rankings. What I mean by this is the visitors will know what to expect before the page loads because the title displays on the SERPS.

TFerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2010, 01:44 PM   #7
BrittMalka

Thumbs up

I have a site that when it had around 1,000 pages all with the same title, and good traffic, I decided to change it dynamically, so that each page had its own title.

The result was more traffic, more clicks, and more income.

So go ahead and make the improvement.

Old 4th April 2010, 06:24 PM   #8
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Regarding what GT3 Digital said about meta tags, I disagree.

Quote:
Out of that list meta tags are probably the least important, at least that is what i have heard but I don't have any data to support that
Ahh... not trying to beat you up GT3, but that's the biggest problem with SEO. Too many people rely on what they hear. Not what they have done or accomplished. I am glad that I have done a lot of work on the topic. That saves me buying into the 'get on Google now!' eBooks. Ha!

I uploaded an image but am NOT 100% sure if you will be able to see it. What happened was this. In an article that I wrote and posted at ezinearticles, the article title was 'Marketing Online Requires Good Copy - Here is a Trick That...' (at least that is all that was shown in Google). Now, I don't remember the EXACT title, but it finished something like '... that they don't want you to know'.. or something like that. I made NO MENTION in the title of the words that appeared in the SEARCH.

The actual search term was "list of product benefits" (with the quotes) I got that information because of search tracking at ezinearticles.

When the article showed up 2nd PLACE IN GOOGLE... the HIGHLIGHTED PART that was a match to the SEARCH PHRASE was in the META DESCRIPTION, NOT THE TITLE!!

(NOTE: I attached the actual screen shot below in this article if you want to view it yourself!)

So, do META Descriptions matter? The answer is YES.

I have several different examples of this, but I do not often take screenshots of them. I did this time because it was just so clean and obvious.

For those looking for more help, this is a PERFECT EXAMPLE of why SEO poeple tell you to add content. It's those terms and phrases that people enter into search engines that finally direct people to your site.

Also... like BrittMalka said:
Quote:
I decided to change it dynamically, so that each page had its own title.
Critical to search. Those page titles are killer. What's worse is so many shopping cart systems DO NOT let you make unique page titles for each product. That is why so many, out of the box solutions don't work well for people looking to set up a store. They are dead before they start.

If you need more help with these issues, don't be afraid to contact me.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GoogleMAR-5-6201.jpg
Views:	1316
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	99  
Old 8th April 2010, 04:12 AM   #9
Sas123

Of course it will affect your page rank, as your site will be preceived as a new site and it is likely to fall to the zero. And then you will have to start again to get your current positions.

Old 8th April 2010, 09:49 AM   #10
joshua99
VIP Contributor

It will affect your site but there is also the opportunity for you to benefit from the changes you made to your site now.