Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Social Media
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th March 2010, 12:12 PM   #1
CindyYoung

Default Confused About Twitter

I am just learning about Twitter and I have a couple of questions. Do I have to select each group or individual I follow one at a time or is there a way I can start following a lot of people at once?

Should I be following only groups and individuals that specifically apply to me, such as relationships, or is it beneficial to select a wide variety of people to follow?

Thanks for your help.

CindyYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 20th March 2010, 04:56 PM   #2
deniseoberry

Send a message via Skype™ to deniseoberry

Cindy --

You'll want to follow one person at a time. You certainly wouldn't want to automatically follow a bunch of people and then find out they don't have similar interests. A good place to find people to follow based on topic area is wefollow.com

That said, you can follow a bunch of people at a time by following other twitter users' lists. You can find a directory of lists at listorious.com. Or you can find someone you like to follow and follow their lists. Lists on twitter are a really good way to make connections.

deniseoberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2010, 08:04 PM   #3
aduttonater

No you have to select them one by one, but that's good because your don't want to follow just anybody.

aduttonater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2010, 09:54 AM   #4
janicejan

I don't really think that its necessary to follow a lot of people who might not be interested in what you are thinking or your offers, people who share the same interest keeps the activity going. so you should know your targeted audience.

janicejan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 07:35 AM   #5
Sas123

I think it's better to have more different people as friends as there are different people with different tastes and prefences. So you can be lucky to promote your services with many people.

Old 25th March 2010, 11:59 AM   #6
888less321

You should follow people or companies that are related to your business or that you think would be interested in yours. When thinking about following someone, ask yourself, "Would I advertise to this person?". Be careful with anything automatic. Once you follow 2,000 people, Twitter does not let you follow anyone else until you get a certain number of followers.

888less321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2010, 02:06 PM   #7
WarrenKnight

Send a message via Skype™ to WarrenKnight
Default Monetising Social Media

I have been focusing on how to, not only understand Social Media, but how to make money from it.

One of my clients increased their online sales by over 300% in 5 weeks.

WarrenKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 07:00 AM   #8
DavidMort
VIP Contributor

Did he used Twitter for that?
If so, then it's really good success story, I haven't heard much about positive results using it...

DavidMort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 12:30 PM   #9
Nutty
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Nutty

Twitter is social media, so you need to be social in your actions, follow those who interest you and those who are in the same area as you

Do not do anything automatically on Twitter, you need to engage your audience with a personal touch

Anything social media should be dealt with in a social way

Old 1st April 2010, 12:59 PM   #10
CindyYoung

Default Thanks for your input

I like the message of that person increasing sales 300% in 5 weeks by using Twitter. I'd sure like to do that! (wouldn't we all?) As it is, I'm reading one Twitter article after another. I'll get the hang of it eventually

CindyYoung is offline   Reply With Quote