Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Viral Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th March 2010, 01:05 PM   #1
john123

Default Online Holiday Competition

Hi there! I was wondering if there was somebody out there that could help me or give me some advice on marketing some free weeks of accommodation in thailand. I am working with a big company out there that is willing to offer holiday makers free weeks of 4 and 5 star accommodation in return for them doing a 90 minute presentation on a new product called fractional with no obligation to buy. I was thinking of doing an online competition giving away 100 free weeks of accommodation but to be honest i'm not really sure how to target the right kind of people. I can only send married couples that are aged between 28 and 65. If there is someone with any experience on marketing holidays or accommodation that could help me I would be willing to extend a week to you!! As long as you're married and the right age it should be fine.

Please help

john123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 18th March 2010, 12:30 AM   #2
WebBizIdeas.com

Send a message via MSN to WebBizIdeas.com Send a message via Skype™ to WebBizIdeas.com

Hi,

Lets start with a list of questions
  1. What is your marketing budget?
  2. Have you done keyword research? For example, do you know how many people search for "free vacations"
  3. Have you compiled a list of websites that relate to Thailand? Like forums, blogs, groups...
  4. What is your competition? Any other websites online giveaway vacations like this?
  5. Can you explain more about the product "fractional?"

Old 18th March 2010, 07:31 AM   #3
john123

Hi there

Thank you for the reply! At the moment I am just in the middle of constructing a website, which to be honest is eating away at the few funds I have!! I would be willing to put up some more money when we start to market the holidays but I want to be pretty sure i'm gonna get a good response. There seem to be a great deal of forums and blogs relating to thailand but im a bit worried about posting anything to do with a competition on there because I don't think you're supposed to. The company in thailand are willing to offer me up to one hundred weeks of free accommodation over the next two years for the right kind of people that meet the criteria specified. Married and the right age ect. What I was thinking of doing is posting an online competition where for taking the time to fill out an online survey you would have the chance of winning a free week of accommodation! What I don't really know is where to start posting the competitions to get people to want to fill out the survey. I need couples that would love the chance of traveling to either phuket, pattaya, koh samiu and Bangkok. Obviously they would have to fined their own flights.

Fractional is I think a new thing this company are trying to promote. I know they have spent years developing villas, condos and apartments all over thailand. Most people from europe that travel to asia on a regular basis spend between one month and three months at a time. NOT the whole year. Fractional offers the chance of owning say three months per year of the property which dramatically reduces the price of buying an actual apartment over there. I know aside from fractional sales they have numerous properties for sales too. The only thing is the properties they are selling are extremely luxurious and I think quite pricey.

Old 18th March 2010, 12:16 PM   #4
NobleRiver

Default facebook may be your best bet.

Simply put, you should try Facebook.

You can isolate the right demographic you need and target you ads at them.

Lemme know if you need help.

NobleRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 12:34 PM   #5
NobleRiver

Default and you website?

Quote:
Originally Posted by john123 View Post
Hi there

Thank you for the reply! At the moment I am just in the middle of constructing a website, which to be honest is eating away at the few funds I have!!
Just wondering what kind of a website you are making and how much money u r putting into it.

Deep.

NobleRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 05:50 PM   #6
WebBizIdeas.com

Send a message via MSN to WebBizIdeas.com Send a message via Skype™ to WebBizIdeas.com

1. What is your budget for your website?
2. Where can I view your web prototype for that website?

Bloggers: I am not saying to write comments promoting your services on other blogs. I am saying to put together a list of all the bloggers that you wish would write a blog post about your free vacations and then contact each one of them asking if the would do that for you (or come up with a creative strategy to convince them to do that)

Jeff

Old 18th March 2010, 06:44 PM   #7
jadipilla

Default -.-

I concur

jadipilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 07:35 AM   #8
john123

Hello

Thank you for that!! You are of course absolutely right about the fact that you can target specific criteria on facebook. After reading your message I stated to think it might be a good idea to start a fan club on fb and promote the competition that way. I like the idea of using fb adds too. The price for advertising on there is quite reasonable. The only worry I have is the fact that people don't generally click on those adds. I myself have never clicked on one in the whole time i have been using fb but maybe thats just me I don't know. One other worry I have is the fact that people might not want to click on it, or fill in the survey because they have no way of knowing that they will get the holiday. How do I prove to them that the weeks I'm offering are completely legit? I know if I saw a competition to win a free holiday on fb with a company i never heard of, I would be reluctant to fill it out and give away my personal information! I know when people start actually using the weeks, others will be able to see that its a legitimate offer but until then what do I do? I really want to start this thing off the right way and not make silly mistakes!! Thanks again for the idea!! I never would of thought of that!!

Old 19th March 2010, 08:02 AM   #9
john123

Hi Jeff

The website I'm putting together is just a standard layout in order to provide people with the necessary information on the resorts I want to promote. It includes photos, location of resorts on google maps and info on all the different amenities each resort has to offer. I should be able to show you the prototype next week at some point! As for money i have put up one thousand euros so far and I don't have much more to play with as yet.

I now see what you mean about bloggers. Over the weekend ill sit down and do more research on what other blogs are out there regarding thailand. I suppose the best way to convince a blogger to write about me would be to offer them some accommodation? The only thing is they have to be qualified for me to offer it to them. Ill do some brainstorming over the next couple of days and see if i can come up with some better strategies. Thats a really good idea tho!! Thank you for that. It will just be a matter of convincing them as you say!

Old 19th March 2010, 10:42 AM   #10
john123

I was also thinking of doing an email campaign targeting English speaking couples that have either traveled to thailand in past or have at least expressed an interest in traveling to that part of the world!! A distribution list of people that love Asia would be very useful! If anyone has any ideas on that, it would be great.