Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Online Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd March 2010, 07:48 AM   #1
Nutty
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Nutty

Default Reported Attack Site!

Hola

One of my customer's has been having some bad issues with regards to hackers and problems with bad neighbourhoods from the previous SEO

We are in the process of moving their hosting away from FastHost to a managed server with another company in the UK

One of their domains (that we have nothing to do with) has a message:

Reported Attack Site!

This web site at medacupuncture.com has been reported as an attack site and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack sites try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

Some attack sites intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners.

This is a new one on me, I have seen it before but clicked "get me out of here" and not worried about it until this has been landed in our lap today!

Has anyone here had experience with this and what would you suggest?

Thanks

Simone

Old 2nd March 2010, 09:28 AM   #2
JoshAk

Default Talk to your host

This generally means your site or server has been compromised. I'd talk to your web host and see if they can track down the issue. Also see if you can look through the log files, to find when the changes were made to your site and revert to a version of the site prior to that date. If you're using an open source or popular CMS for your site you can search Google for "cleaning up hacked Insert your CMS" or similar phrases to get instructions specific to your situation.

A few things you can do prevent this in the future:

Your host should also be able to help you setup notices when files are changed on your server so you'll know if unauthorized changed were made and to what files.

Setup Google alerts for your site and known spam phrases such as "site:yoursite poker" this will help you know when when your site is hacked for spam link drops.

If you use an open source CMS always make sure its up to date, and subscribe to their security feeds if they have one. If they don't you can setup Google alerts for appropriate phrases for example if you use wordpress setup an alert for "wordpress vulnerability" or "wordpress security"

read up on XSS and SQL Injection.

Hope this helps.

Josh

JoshAk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:50 AM   #3
Nutty
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Nutty

Hola

We are in the process of moving them to another host as they were running un-managed servers and when you have high traffic websites with big sales I feel a managed server is better to protect business interests

We didnīt write this website so my partner is now stripping it apart to see what he can find, I have sent him your reply so he can see if he missed anything

We write all our own CMS systems, we donīt do other people's plugins - better that way, we are slowly educating our clients

Thanks again and have a groovy day

Old 2nd March 2010, 12:06 PM   #4
JoshAk

Default Good Luck

Sounds like moving to a managed server is good idea. I noticed Google only had a handful of pages indexed, if it's a small site it might be faster to port the content over to your own CMS then to try and dig through a site some one else built. Good luck.

Josh

JoshAk is offline   Reply With Quote