Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th September 2004, 09:51 AM   #1
Robert
Administrator

Default Adding A Link List To Your Blog

Following up on Karen's post in another thread I found this nifty looking service that is supposed to make adding links to other blogs very easy:

BlogRolling

Description from the site:
"BlogRolling is a one-stop linklist manager for your blog or journal, helping you manage your ever-evolving linklist with ease. There are a lot of tools out there to help you blog without getting your hands dirty - but managing your linklist still means having to crawl through the HTML in your template every time you want to add or remove a link. No more! Now it's as simple as clicking a link or making a pit stop at BlogRolling."

Does anyone use this? Or do you know of other similar services?

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 25th September 2004, 10:24 AM   #2
wayne h

Many bloggers use Blogrolling very successfully.

The ease of use is great for many bloggers.

I don't use it my self. I prefer to hand code every link with html, but then I am kind of old school.

Wayne Hurlbert

Last edited by wayne h; 25th September 2004 at 10:27 AM.
wayne h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2004, 04:22 PM   #3
Karen

Robert,
At the risk of seeming like an idiot, I have to say that this was another one that I just couldn't figure out. It is not, however, difficult to put in one little line of html whenever I want to add a link, so I'm not overly concerned.

Karen

Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2004, 06:32 PM   #4
Robert
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen
Robert,
At the risk of seeming like an idiot, I have to say that this was another one that I just couldn't figure out. It is not, however, difficult to put in one little line of html whenever I want to add a link, so I'm not overly concerned.

Karen
Don't feel bad, this is all new to most of us.

Old 29th September 2004, 10:46 PM   #5
DianeV

Well, that's the thing, isn't it ... most of us can code HTML. Imagine how it is with those who can't. :-)

DianeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2004, 02:20 AM   #6
wayne h

Fortunately many of the leading blogging tools provide a model link to copy, and then point to the place to put them.

Wayne Hurlbert

wayne h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2004, 12:06 AM   #7
Chris

Dont feel too bad!. We just had to write a small howto on our site for this.

How Do I Add A Blogroll On My Blog? (blogrolling.com)

Hope this helps explain it.

Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2004, 12:31 PM   #8
Genia

Send a message via AIM to Genia Send a message via Yahoo to Genia
Default Just a Second . . .

Hand coding links is great; however, most of the services that track your blog's success do so by checking blogrolls. I found that out the hard way. If you visit Technorati (supposedly *the* source on what's HOT in the world of blogging), you'll see that very few of your reciprocal links show up if they're hand coded. My blogs are listed on twice as many blogs as the service has me registered on. I kept wondering why my links were showing up on Technorati. THEN, I started using the blogrolling service I'd signed up for months before. Once other people found themselves on my blogroll, they would add my blog to theirs if they liked it. Only then did I start seeing my links show up.

Now, the blogrolling links don't do you much good in Google because it's a java script and not hand coded. How blogrolling helps you is that the more blogrolls you're on, the more credibility you have. So, people start noticing you and linking to your blog within the content of their posts. It's those links that help you in Google.

Blogshares (a make believe stock market for blogs used mostly by people to see what blogs are hot) is one that doesn't recognize blogroll links -- only hand coded links, from what I can tell so far. They may be working on that.

I used to hand code links, but the way blogs are recognized in the blogosphere using blogrolls and such -- well, I gave in. It's easier for a new person who wants to trade links with me to just sign up at blogrolling, add me to their list, then email me to let me know. The marketing is viral and it really seems to work better than waiting for Google to give you a top placement.

Genia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2004, 01:39 PM   #9
Robert
Administrator

Great post Genia! I do have a question about this though:

Quote:
Once other people found themselves on my blogroll, they would add my blog to theirs if they liked it.
Does the blogrolling service notify the other site that you've linked to them?

Old 12th August 2005, 03:26 PM   #10
Cedara

Looks like I have some research to do this weekend! LOL
I have been entering my links myself....and as a gal who is html challenged for the most part.....WHEW! LOL
Thanks for this information!

Cedara

Cedara is offline   Reply With Quote