Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd June 2009, 01:19 AM   #1
TS2009

Default How Much Info Does A Web Designer/developer Need?

Hi i'm trying to get some information together for a webdesigner to create my website but there is just tomuch to list and will take months to think of everything! My question is how much information do i really need to bring to the table... and what exactly is it the webdesigner does.. Thanks in advance and i hope the question is helpful to others!

j

TS2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 22nd June 2009, 01:36 PM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

The answer to your question depends on the web designer. Some of them will want a lot; others will want less. Depends on what they've agreed to do for you, what they feel comfortable handling and what your agreement specifies you will do or provide for them.

The first thing you need to do is decide what exactly you want your website to do (not how you want it to look -- what you want it to do). And by that I mean, what goal(s) you want your site to accomplish, not what fancy bells and whistles you want on your pages. Do you want to make direct sales? Generate leads for yourself or an affiliate site? Get people to sign up for a newsletter?

Once you can clearly articulate exactly what you want your site to accomplish, find a designer/developer that can help you reach that goal. They should be someone you're comfortable working with, someone you feel has the expertise and skill to do what needs to be done with your site. They will be able to guide you as to what page layout, site architecture and features will best serve your goals. Listen to their advice. You're going to hire them because they're the expert, the professional. Allow them to do their job.

Then negotiate with them about what you're going to provide and what they're going to provide. If they've done this before they should have some sort of checklist or agreement or something that can give you an idea of what you'll need to furnish for them.

No point in driving yourself crazy trying to think of everything before the fact. Find a good designer and let them help guide you.

My

--Torka

Old 25th June 2009, 11:17 PM   #3
TS2009

Default Thanks Torka!

Thanks Torka great advice! i have a better feeling now after talking to the webdesigner and talked things through a little more which helped alot!.. it was tough not knowing what the designer expected from me! thanks again!

justin

TS2009 is offline   Reply With Quote