Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Pay Per Click Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th October 2008, 01:33 PM   #1
AskRex

Default Google AdWords Tips From The Expert

Today I thought I would share some of the wonderful tips and techniques that I learned from my friend Simon Leung.

Simon Leung, known all across the Internet Marketing industry as the Google Optimization Insider and Master AdWords Optimizer, is one of the world’s leading experts in Google AdWords. He is ex-Google employee #16 who ran the AdWords dept.

He created a package called "Slap Google Back" and offered this 4 week teleseminar training and coaching course at an event I ran called The Capital Factor. So, I thought I would share the wealth and give you some goodies today.

As you probably know, there are lots of ways to drive traffic to your website: articles, blogging, forums, banner ads, etc. AdWords is just another advertising means - but it's one of the best.

40% of online revenue comes from search. AdWords appear next to the search results list on Google - they're clickable ads. Google has over 200 million searches a day! Now THAT'S exposure!

There are a few contributing factors to getting a high rank on the adwords list: the quality of your ad, the keywords on your website and how much it relates to your ad and the keyword users are searching under, how many people click on your ad, relevancy, etc.

First, you want to do MARKET research. Find out what questions or problems your potential clients have. When is your product most popular? What languages do your customers speak? Where does your market live? Based on that research, then you do KEYWORD research.

To do keyword research, you can go to https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal.

Next, I would think about creating a unique offer - one they can't get anywhere else. Maybe you'll write an extra report, or record audio/video, or interview experts. Put together a bundle, get affiliates (google it), and talk about the offer in your ads. You've heard that people sometimes need incentive to take action, so give them incentive! Let's start building you a list.

To optimize your ads, you may want to consider using "spy" software and tools. www.SpyFu.com will give you a look at your competitor ads and pricing so you can better optimize your ads. It's the fastest way to the top, right?

Start with a low bid on your keywords until you get a hang of the process and see how AdWords work on the back-end. Then, once your are more comfortable and confident, start to increase your bids if you'd like. Trust me, start low.

Good luck!

AskRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 6th October 2008, 09:53 PM   #2
IV Studios

Nice post Rex.

Everyone loves AdWords and it's a great addition to an advertising campaign, but, what about the 60% of online revenue that doesn't come from search? And what percentage of that search revenue comes from AdWords and what percentage comes from plain old search results?

I'm not trying to 'dampen' your cornflakes in a rude way, I'm just looking to assess the best way to dole out ad budget.

"40% of online revenue comes from search. AdWords appear next to the search results list on Google - they're clickable ads. Google has over 200 million searches a day!"

IV Studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2008, 01:44 PM   #3
AskRex

No problem. Si says:

Search 40%
Banners 20%
Classifieds 17%
Sponsorships 9%
Rich media 8%
Other 6%

The best rule of thumb in Internet Marketing is to exposure in as many different areas as possible. Twitter, blogging, squidoo & hubpages, myspace, facebook, forums, articles, podcasting, press releases, etc. Research where your market hangs out the most and dive in to conquer. That's what I suggest.

AskRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2008, 09:42 AM   #4
chesa7

Default Simon Leung

Has Simon written anything you can refer us to?

chesa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 09:06 PM   #5
jr429

Thanks for the tips!

jr429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008, 03:40 AM   #6
jv08

Great tips! Thanks for sharing it.

jv08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2008, 03:02 AM   #7
puti1

Default I had my first taste of ppc

Thanks for sharing the tips with me. I am new to PPC and have not look at spyfu before. Will definitely check that out and see if this will work for me? btw, do you have to pay to use spyfu?

thanks

puti1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 01:28 PM   #8
alex0081

I read this from another forum, but I want you tell me is it´s true, adwords are more important to adsense? Now, Im new in this PPC, actually Im getting in the forum to learn more about it, cause my company is little and don’t need a big campaign, but I want to start now, before my company get bigger. So for a person like me, do you think I need to increase my knowledge in adwords instead of adsense? Thanks a lot

alex0081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 08:00 PM   #9
Felix Trogare

Hi Rex:
Thanks so much for your tips. I am trying to reduce my cost per click in a special campaign in AdWords; may you give some special tips?
Thanks for your help!
Good Luck!
Felix Trogare
New York University

Felix Trogare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 05:27 AM   #10
jamilla

Thanks for the tips

jamilla is offline   Reply With Quote