Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Online Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st July 2005, 02:52 PM   #1
johnnylew
VIP Contributor

Default Lessons Learned Part I

Its a slow day (all sports fans must be traveling), so I thought I'd write a bit to pass the time and pass information to the new small business on-line owners out there.

Lessons Learned:

* Persistance will pay off - Don't give up and if your passionate about your venture improve what you already have. My website and logo have transformed over the last six months (mostly due to things I have learned and comments from people in this forum). My logo and webpage has a more profesional and content latent look. Alot of tweaking.

* Plant the seeds now for growth later. Ok, I am one that expects immediate results. Thats a bad thing (I think). Your online venture will not have a mass rush once your open for business. But things you do today, will generate traffic in the future (sometimes weeks later, but it does pay off). Pay per Click, Toll Free Number, Affiliate Marketing, Discount Coupons in every shipment, eMail Marketing, Radio Advertising, Press Releases. Each will plant a seed for growth tommorow.

* Step Back and Review. I get way to close to the trees to see the big forest. I will never have enough activity in my site, but when I was complaining today things are slow, I looked at my quarterly data...I have increased sales for the last three quarters by 100 % each quarter...Wow. What's your growth...what can you do to improve for the long term.

* Watch your competition and do it better. Differentiate yourself from your competition and PROMOTE that!!! Your customers will then expect you to follow through on your promise...do that and you will be a winner.

* Ask for comments...I have learned alot by asking the question (what can I do better, different). So I am asking you, please look at my site (www.johnnylew.com) What can I do better? What do you like/dislike about it? Have you learned anything that you would implement yourself?

Old 1st July 2005, 09:15 PM   #2
Robert
Administrator

Quote:
Plant the seeds now for growth later
Excellent advice!

Old 2nd July 2005, 07:36 AM   #3
KPainley

Default New Product?

Your site looks great...and reminded me of one of the best selling products I carried when I was the Director of Merchandising for an automotive accessory catalog.

They are great people, excellent quality merchandise, and they drop ship.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited by yellowwing; 2nd July 2005 at 12:53 PM. Reason: link drop
KPainley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2005, 09:58 AM   #4
moraviaspy

Send a message via AIM to moraviaspy Send a message via Skype™ to moraviaspy

Thumbs up Thanks for the sharing

Thanks johnnylew,

Your comments are encouraging. I too want to see immediate results and it's good to be reminded to be patient and keep on going.

How are things in Tonawanda? I just finished a Farm Market website for Niagara County Cooperative Extension so I've been out that way several times recently.

Happy 4th to everyone!

Paul

Old 4th July 2005, 05:27 PM   #5
BobetteKyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert
Quote:
Plant the seeds now for growth later.
Excellent advice!
I am loving this one, too. Sometimes we get so attuned to immediate, measurable results that we forget about longterm effects.

Over time, you can build a brand image and a quality reputation. Both increase sales, but are elusive when it comes to directly measuring them.

(Guess that's why the accountants invented "goodwill." Couldn't figure any other way to quantify it on a balance sheet. )

BobetteKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2005, 12:20 PM   #6
johnnylew
VIP Contributor

Default Kim....

What was the product and who will drop ship? Always interested in new supply channels!!!

Thanks

Old 5th July 2005, 12:24 PM   #7
johnnylew
VIP Contributor

Default Thanks all...

I appreciate all the comments...

Paul, Tonawanda is hot ... Tonawanda is a stones through from the city of Buffalo and we have had the hottest summer since 1967...every day is in the 90's, unheard of for Buffalo New York...maybe a day or two in August but not June.

Keep plugging along everyone. I really like this forum and its because of the people who are signed into it.

John

Old 8th July 2005, 04:24 PM   #8
Linda
VIP Contributor

Hi John,

That is some of the best advice I have heard in a long time. Small business owners need to hear that more often.

Linda

Old 13th July 2005, 09:43 AM   #9
johnnylew
VIP Contributor

Default Thanks Linda - Lessons Learned

Linda, my friend, Thank YOU for post.

If you haven't signed up for Linda's Newsletter you are missing one of the best FREE pieces of advise EVER. Her information will give you insight into ways to grow your business and most often the suggestions are low cost or no cost to implement.

Take care all...and please give me any comments you may have on how to make my website better.

Old 14th July 2005, 08:41 AM   #10
gilmorejay
VIP Contributor

John,
Good post! Site looks pretty good also.

Just a point on usability and expectations of the user. Try to avoid using underlines as a way to show emphasis. Use the <strong>tag instead of <u> tag or style it in some other way such as increasing the font sized or if you have to use the <b> tag.

Users have grown accustomed to the fact that text that is underlined is likely a hyperlink. If they try to click on underlined text that is not a hyperlink and get no result they might think that your site is broken or become frustrated that they can't go where they want.

Jay
Developer/Consultant