Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th July 2008, 09:53 PM   #1
snyderkv

Default Selling Off Excess Inventory..ebay?

Sometimes it's difficult to sell an oversupply of inventory that needs to come off the shelf.

I was wondering if it's effective to sell these on Ebay

Also I wanted to know if anybody advertises their website on ebay but not actually sell anything from it. I wanted to just provide a link to my actual page to generate traffic.

Is this possible?

Last edited by snyderkv; 19th July 2008 at 09:55 PM.
snyderkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 19th July 2008, 11:24 PM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

It may be effective or it may not be to sell excess inventory on eBay, depending on the item and the price and who happens to be looking (and what they're looking for) when you list your items. It's impossible to make a blanket statement of whether it will work or not, but I can tell you there are some folks who do quite well selling excess inventory there.

As to linking to your site, to my understanding you can't include "offsite" links in product listings. They used to allow you to link to other commercial sites on your "about me" page, but I believe they're no longer allowing that, either. They really don't want you to promote any "off eBay" website through eBay. You can try it if you think you can get away with it, but if you do, don't be surprised if you wake up one morning to find your account disabled.

--Torka

Old 21st July 2008, 10:27 AM   #3
isoldit

Default Ebay as additional sales channel

I operate a small business in the Tampa FL area. I have extensive experience liquidating overstock and even industrial equipment online. I find that using alternate methods such as eBay is beneficial for several reasons:

1. Product occupying retail space cost money
2. Cash flow for new product is a huge advantage
3. You can under sale yourself or build your product brand dependent on what your objective is.

The one thing I would recommend in this economic time is be realistic on your selling prices. Look at it as dead inventory turns into positive cash flow for new product.

I will say there is a lot that goes into online selling, so be prepared to spend some time to get familiar with all sales channels online.

Brad

isoldit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 10:30 PM   #4
snyderkv

Thanks a lot folks

Also the previous owner old me he does not sell on Ebay because some vendors will refuse to do business with someone if they see there clothes being sold on ebay.

I guess clothing may be different

Old 15th October 2009, 04:17 PM   #5
Emilywebster

There are otherways to do too, besides ebay . You can opt for craigslist or myclozet.

They are for free and I love using it.

Emilywebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 04:49 PM   #6
royhunters

Watermark your Ebay photos with your URL. Not an active link but it works! People will use it to find out more... Discounts @ yoururl . com works wonders!

royhunters is offline   Reply With Quote